Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some recent pics of my IONBOND caspian. Finally got around to making the grips for it. It is now about a year old, been to about 20 matches, hundreds of draws from kydex and about 4-5 thousand rounds. Note the total lack of wear at the muzzle. It is really amazing.

Forgot to add the magwell is dinged up and shows some scuffs inside, but it is the only black component that is not IONBOND.

post-6767-1237730105_thumb.jpg

post-6767-1237730122_thumb.jpg

Edited by mpeltier

Here are some recent pics of my IONBOND caspian. Finally got around to making the grips for it. It is now about a year old, been to about 20 matches, hundreds of draws from kydex and about 4-5 thousand rounds. Note the total lack of wear at the muzzle. It is really amazing.

Forgot to add the magwell is dinged up and shows some scuffs inside, but it is the only black component that is not IONBOND.

Nice pistol, I like that!--------------Larry

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm looking to get my S&W Model 10 Revolver done as the blued finish is toast and I am getting tired of wiping off surface rust. Can IonBond do Revolvers?

Thanks,

Matt

Yes

Thanks Scott, I did not see Revolvers listed on your IonBond work order can you shoot me a price point on the finishes for a 4" K-frame revolver?

• 1 year later...

Several quick questions, three on topic and one off . . .

1. What lubes and protectants would be good to use with the W DLC coating? I currently use TruRecoil for my daily CLP and after about 500-1000 rounds do a “deep clean” with a modified Ed’s Red in an ultrasonic cleaner, followed by brake cleaner, TruRecoil on most parts, and either Finish Line dry teflon lube or KG 10 dry Moly (molybdenum) lube on more critical/high friction areas.

2. Does anybody know when Sig Sauer started using the Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon (aka W DLC or IonBond) coating for their “Nitron” finish?

3. I would like to have all of my 1911 internals finished with the W DLC coating but may not be able to afford it at the current prices . . . what internals would you say are essential (or the most important) to have coated if I could only do some of them? Are there any parts that you definitely would NOT have coated? What about the firing pin?

4. Does anybody know when Sig Sauer started using MIM parts in their RCS and other 1911 models? I spoke with a rep the other day regarding the 1911 RCS and was told that they’ve been using a MIM grip safety, thumb safety, and slide stop for the past 5 or 6 years which would put it around 2005-2006 . . . anyone know for sure?

Several quick questions, three on topic and one off . . .

1. What lubes and protectants would be good to use with the W DLC coating? I currently use TruRecoil for my daily CLP and after about 500-1000 rounds do a “deep clean” with a modified Ed’s Red in an ultrasonic cleaner, followed by brake cleaner, TruRecoil on most parts, and either Finish Line dry teflon lube or KG 10 dry Moly (molybdenum) lube on more critical/high friction areas.

2. Does anybody know when Sig Sauer started using the Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon (aka W DLC or IonBond) coating for their “Nitron” finish?

3. I would like to have all of my 1911 internals finished with the W DLC coating but may not be able to afford it at the current prices . . . what internals would you say are essential (or the most important) to have coated if I could only do some of them? Are there any parts that you definitely would NOT have coated? What about the firing pin?

4. Does anybody know when Sig Sauer started using MIM parts in their RCS and other 1911 models? I spoke with a rep the other day regarding the 1911 RCS and was told that they’ve been using a MIM grip safety, thumb safety, and slide stop for the past 5 or 6 years which would put it around 2005-2006 . . . anyone know for sure?

1. You can probably use the same lubes as before, that said I like slide glide lite on the slide/frame rails and barrel bearing surfaces and brownells action lube on the fire control parts.

2. Don't know.

3. You probably don't need the internals coated, just the frame, slide, slide stop, and safeties and a magwell if you have one. I would definitely leave the sear alone. Maybe even the hammer even though it's exposed to the elements. The other internals are pretty well protected from the elements.

4. Don't know. I think they started using MIM in the P226 parts about 2 years ago though.

I coated everything minus the internal parts. John Harrison does have an Ionbond trigger, hammer, and strut pin. if you want to go that route. Notice he did NOT coat the sear or disconnector.

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/category/54-1911-triggers.aspx

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products/171-hd-120-b-ignition-set-featuring-dlc-coated-hammer.aspx

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products/170-hd-125-b-dlc-coated-strut-pin.aspx

I don't lube my finish, but you can. I use Hoppes #9.

Here’s another thought I’d like to get feedback on in addition to the 4 inquiries in my previous post . . .

I’ve read in multiple places that it is best to fill the W DLC “tubes” with something like an oil to act as a protectant for the base material and to add lubrication. What if instead of using one of the standard gun oils or something which would need constant replacing, one simply had another finish applied in addition to the W DLC. Maybe something like DuPont’s industrial TEFLON-S. It seems to me that the TEFLON-S would provide a “permanent” filling for the DLC pores that has excellent properties in and of itself including (but not limited to) 0% water absorption, a hardness of 60-90, excellent abrasion resistance, excellent salt spray resistance, good chemical resistance, is non-stick, and has a .1-.4 kinetic coefficient of friction and .15-.35 static coefficient of friction.

Any thoughts on this idea in general or the TEFLON-S as a secondary finish in specific?

Any idea if the two would adhere to each other and work well together in this way?

Any ideas who can provide the TEFLON-S as a secondary coating other than h t t p : // w w w . bearcoat . com?

• 5 months later...