Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

I called Ryan Flynn and he told me that all I needed to do is send my guns in and I would be all set. I am not a pistol smith just a regualr shooter.

Thanks, I plan to call Ryan this afternoon, and if they are open on Saturday, drive up and hand deliver my Edge. If not, then I'm going to have spend all weekend figuring out how to take half a day off Monday!

Again thanks for the info all!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want it spelled a certain way (and if you want to be pedantic about it), they should damn sure make certain that the logo they put on everything has it spelled the way they want it spelled....

I agree, actually.

Of course, I'm going to keep spelling it IonBond just to piss you off, so...

Everybody needs a hobby. :)

Seriously, it won't piss me off. I'm not that pedantic. Really. :D

Hello folks, this is Ryan from IonBond, and yes this is the proper spelling of the company name.Just wnated all you guy's to know that I appreciate the phone calls and interests, we are currently working on our web site for the guns, so give us a little more time with that. I have guns coming in left and right, words getting out and I slammed. Everyone seems to be very pleased with the coating.But the reason I am writing is to give some technical info on the finish so yall ain't left in the dark. The coating most of people are wanting is the DLC (Diamond Like Coating). This is our PVD coating that is the One tough mother of a coating. Hardness is 70-90 rockwell and thickness is 3 to 6 microns. Not quite a half a thousandth at its thickest. Pretty much wont interfere with your tolerances. This coating is available for steels and hard anodized aluminum. Coating sucks up lubrication like a sponge, then releases it as it is needed. When coated parts come out of the Machine they are a dark charcoal color and after I oil them they are black. We also have a Zirconuim coating in two colors now. Flat Dark Earth and Desert Tan. The F.D.E. is closer to an olive drab tone. This coating is 60 to 70 rockwell hardness and 2 to 3 microns thick. So now you can have your two tones. This coating is currently only available for steels, we are in process or developing it for aluminum. I just finished a revolver in Desert and Black and it looks sweet. Will have pics shortly.

You can prep your guns to your desired finish or I can. If you just want to send your whole gun in and let me take care of it, no problem, I am a gunsmith, so your in good hands. We offer 3 types of finish on polish; matte, satin or a gloss polish(mainly slide flats). This is included in the price unless you want the whole gun gloss and that is $40.00 extra for polishing time.

well is you have any more questions please feel free to contact me, 336-665-0005 ext 1340

IF you don't get me leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone and have a good one.

Hello folks, this is Ryan from IonBond, and yes this is the proper spelling of the company name.Just wnated all you guy's to know that I appreciate the phone calls and interests, we are currently working on our web site for the guns, so give us a little more time with that. I have guns coming in left and right, words getting out and I slammed. Everyone seems to be very pleased with the coating.But the reason I am writing is to give some technical info on the finish so yall ain't left in the dark. The coating most of people are wanting is the DLC (Diamond Like Coating). This is our PVD coating that is the One tough mother of a coating. Hardness is 70-90 rockwell and thickness is 3 to 6 microns. Not quite a half a thousandth at its thickest. Pretty much wont interfere with your tolerances. This coating is available for steels and hard anodized aluminum. Coating sucks up lubrication like a sponge, then releases it as it is needed. When coated parts come out of the Machine they are a dark charcoal color and after I oil them they are black. We also have a Zirconuim coating in two colors now. Flat Dark Earth and Desert Tan. The F.D.E. is closer to an olive drab tone. This coating is 60 to 70 rockwell hardness and 2 to 3 microns thick. So now you can have your two tones. This coating is currently only available for steels, we are in process or developing it for aluminum. I just finished a revolver in Desert and Black and it looks sweet. Will have pics shortly.

You can prep your guns to your desired finish or I can. If you just want to send your whole gun in and let me take care of it, no problem, I am a gunsmith, so your in good hands. We offer 3 types of finish on polish; matte, satin or a gloss polish(mainly slide flats). This is included in the price unless you want the whole gun gloss and that is $40.00 extra for polishing time.

well is you have any more questions please feel free to contact me, 336-665-0005 ext 1340

IF you don't get me leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone and have a good one.

Hey Ryan, thanks for the post. Can you post your hours for those living near Greensboro?

PH

Awesome info, Ryan!

I got to fondle one of Matt Burkett's guns this weekend - natch, forgot to shoot pics... Its DLC coated. Matt did the "scrape the knife across the finish" demo several times. Very impressive. I feel sorry for his Emerson... ;)

Ryan,

Couple of questions.

1 - Is it recommended to coat EVERYTHING, or just say a frame, slide and barrel? Not a big deal, just want to figure it out before I send my Open gun (and it's 1.75# trigger job) from Rusty Kidd to you guys or vice versa.

2 - How do parts of different finishes work with each other? For instance, a chromed frame and a DLC slide.

Lastly is pricing. Thanks.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone get some pictures of a gun with this coating yet?

I dropped my Edge off on Tues, as soon as I get it back I'll throw some pics up....cant wait!

I can't wait to see it. I have three guns that I want to have done. :D

2 or 3 weeks ago Matt Burkett was in Bennys shop and he had a pistol that had the black finish on it. Was very impressive. The slide for my new single stack is being done now. Should be back in a week or so. Hard chrome on the frame, Ionbond black on top with carbon fiber grips, should be nice.-------Larry

He's doing my barrel and hammer in their ZrN coat....and the frame, slide and all other small parts in their black satin PVD.

He's also doing all five of my mag bodies in the glossy black PVD..."should" be done by next Friday.

Edited by CDRODA396

2 or 3 weeks ago Matt Burkett was in Bennys shop and he had a pistol that had the black finish on it. Was very impressive. The slide for my new single stack is being done now. Should be back in a week or so. Hard chrome on the frame, Ionbond black on top with carbon fiber grips, should be nice.-------Larry

That sound cool. I like the idea of a satin chrome frame and a black slide. I would like to know how the two matirials where against eachother. Pleas keep us poasted. Pics would be helpful too.

He's doing my barrel and hammer in their ZrN coating....and the frame, slide and all other small parts in their black satin PVD.

He's also doing all five of my mag bodies in the glossy black PVD..."should" be done by next Friday.

If you don't mind me asking what are the bennefits of haveing the mag bodies done? Is it just for cosmetics or does it help with function? Also how much are they charging for the mag bodies? Thanks.

Pics.jpg

So true. B)

If you don't mind me asking what are the bennefits of haveing the mag bodies done? Is it just for cosmetics or does it help with function? Also how much are they charging for the mag bodies? Thanks.

I did it because I think black magazines look sweet....and no one is going to confuse their mags with mine!

He's charging $2 per mag body, which is $18 less than the last place I saw advertising doing mag bodies so I couldnt resist.

I did it because I think black magazines look sweet....and no one is going to confuse their mags with mine!

He's charging $2 per mag body, which is $18 less than the last place I saw advertising doing mag bodies so I couldnt resist.

\

Thaks for the info. I like the Idea of mags matching your guns finish. ;)