Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just about to send 3 guns off to them and the quote was $200 per gun with a 20 day turnaround and there is a discount for 10 or more guns. For finishes they can do black and greyish black either flat or high gloss and are working on a coyote/desert color but aren't releasing it to the public yet, I think Burkett has it on one of his guns. If you go to pistolsmith.com, there is a report there that a guy shot his ionbonded gun 1500 rounds without any lubrication.

Well, while you're being picky, Duane, maybe you ought to tell "Ionbond" that they don't have it straight, either....

Don't look at the company logo, look at the text where they actually spell out the name.

I got the spelling of the name straight from Ryan Flynn at Ionbond. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "How do you spell the name of the company?"

Ryan: "Capital 'I', one word."

Me. "So the 'b's not capitalized? It's just capital 'I', lower case o-n-b-o-n-d?"

Ryan: "Right. Capital 'I', everything else lower case, one word."

'Nuff said. ;)

I am just about to send 3 guns off to them and the quote was $200 per gun with a 20 day turnaround and there is a discount for 10 or more guns. For finishes they can do black and greyish black either flat or high gloss and are working on a coyote/desert color but aren't releasing it to the public yet, I think Burkett has it on one of his guns. If you go to pistolsmith.com, there is a report there that a guy shot his ionbonded gun 1500 rounds without any lubrication.

I read the pistolsmith.com thread and it mentions they will only accept pistols from "a few select pistolsmiths." Did you find this to be the case? or are you sending them in direct?

I'm in NC and could save some $ if it doesnt involve a middleman!

Thanks, PH

I wonder what it would cost just to do the frame of a 1911. Some of you are familiar with my dilemma over whether to refinish this circa 1960-1970s beauty of a 1911. There is bare metal all long the inside where it was fitted and worked on years ago and in places where the bluing has simply worn off. The slide is in great shape, with a tall old-school bullseye front sight thats silver soldered on. I think just getting the frame done with Ionbond solves the issue of changing anything about the guns fit or setup while keeping it from rusting out the wazoo on the inside.

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and call them tomorrow and inquire. Wether I get something done to the slide or not, ie sights and refinish, there is nothing keeping me from getting the frame done. It wouldn't change the fit or function, and a dark grey wouldn't be too much of a contrast with the slide. I just don't like wiping rust off the inside of the frame everytime I clean it. I'd like to see this gun shoot just as well as it does now only in my kids' or grandkids' hands one day, and that won't happen if it corrodes away.

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon

Don't look at the company logo, look at the text where they actually spell out the name.

Ryan: "Right. Capital 'I', everything else lower case, one word."

'Nuff said. ;)

I reiterate my point.....

If they want it spelled a certain way (and if you want to be pedantic about it), they should damn sure make certain that the logo they put on everything has it spelled the way they want it spelled....

Of course, I'm going to keep spelling it IonBond just to piss you off, so... :lol:

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Ryan Flynn at Ionbond, talking about my 1911. He said there would be no problem with the front sight being silver soldered on, as the temperatures they work at are around 400 degrees and the silver solder's melting point is 1400 degrees. He quoted me a few prices, all very reasonable. The $200 whole gun is right on the money, and he'll work with you if you want just one part or smaller components done. He did say the turn around time is about 6 weeks right now, specifically quoted at 25 work days, but is presently longer due to some technical difficulties they just got resolved with one of their machines being down. I asked whether he prefers to get the gun whole or in parts, and he replied that either way will work. If you send him an assembled gun, you'll get it back assembled, and that he will take a rear sight off before and put it back on after if thats ok with the customer. He also went into prep work, making different surfaces shiny or matte to your preference.

I mentioned this forum and that there was some demand for information and pictures. He said that IT is working on getting the gun portion of their website up and running. I'll send him the link when he emails me in case he wants to post on here.

Sounds like a good gunsmith and a good process.

Chris

I read the pistolsmith.com thread and it mentions they will only accept pistols from "a few select pistolsmiths." Did you find this to be the case? or are you sending them in direct?

I'm in NC and could save some $ if it doesnt involve a middleman!

Thanks, PH

I called Ryan Flynn and he told me that all I needed to do is send my guns in and I would be all set. I am not a pistol smith just a regualr shooter.