Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my gun back today and all I can say is WOW. The finish is awesome. Unfortunately the wife lent the DigCam to a neighbor who hasn't returned it :angry: I will try and get some pics with a camera from work tomorrow. Wow this gun is really beautiful. I wish I had Ysued here to take some real pics. :)

Angel

I got my gun back today and all I can say is WOW. The finish is awesome. Unfortunately the wife lent the DigCam to a neighbor who hasn't returned it :angry: I will try and get some pics with a camera from work tomorrow. Wow this gun is really beautiful. I wish I had Ysued here to take some real pics. :)

Angel

Yamil is busy working for the big photo bucks. Send me the gun and I'll take some pictures of it. ;)

Ok Folks not the best quality digital camera to work with.Not to mention I have no photo taking skills but here are some pics. I will try and get better quality tonight if possible with this camera. Click on the images for HIGH resolution versions.

Angel

ionbond1.jpg

ionbond2.jpg

ionbond3.jpg

ionbond4.jpg

A Med, Nice looking blaster and a really nice looking finish! Give yourself more credit with the pics, they look good as well! Couple quick questions if you will? :P

Did you not finish the barrel bushing, grip safety etc. or did you have them done in a silver finish?

I really like the grip screws being black, did they get PVD'd or did you blue or black them somehow?

Was there a problem with your front sight or did you just not send it in with one?

Thanks again for sharing, Now I really cant wait to get mine!!! :D

Did you not finish the barrel bushing, grip safety etc. or did you have them done in a silver finish?

I really like the grip screws being black, did they get PVD'd or did you blue or black them somehow?

Was there a problem with your front sight or did you just not send it in with one?

Thanks again for sharing, Now I really cant wait to get mine!!!

The grip safety, thumb safety, bushing, trigger insert and aftec extracter are the only metal parts that were not treated. I decided to leave those stainless for a little "bling". Anything else you see in black was treated. That includes the grip screws, ms housing, barrel, including the feed ramp, hammer, guiderod, bomar sight, etc. etc. etc.

I sent the gun without a front site and have a Brazos Minidot ready to install.

Angel

How was the metal prepped before it was coated?

This finish looks subdued and I'd guess it to be somewhere in between matte and satin. I'd hope the prep options could create everything from a high gloss to a darker matte finish.

Honestly, IonBond is really frustrating the shooting market with their lack of tangible information.

How was the metal prepped before it was coated?

This finish looks subdued and I'd guess it to be somewhere in between matte and satin. I'd hope the prep options could create everything from a high gloss to a darker matte finish.

Honestly, IonBond is really frustrating the shooting market with their lack of tangible information.

Ryan did say they were working on a firearms portion to their website...until then, the most definative information on IonBond is post #29 of this thread. Ryan does explain the prep and finish differences, Matte, Satin, Glossy on the slide flats and all over glossy, and the additional cost for the entire gun being glossy.

A Med said he had his done in matte. I'm having mine done in satin. Its due around the end of the week, I'll post pics as soon as its in. Now we just need some one to have theirs done in glossy and we'll have all options covered! :D

If you still have questions, call Ryan, I've talked to him on the phone and in person (I'm 90 miles away so drove my gun up and dropped it off) and he is easy to talk to and will definately answer your questions.

Edited by CDRODA396

+100

Ryan is very willing to discuss all the options on the phone. The matte finish according to him is the Darkest of the Finishes. It's pretty cool to see this stuff work. He told me when the finish is applied they wipe the gun down in oil which makes the finish a deep black. When the gun arrived it was a little blotchy on some spots where it didn't get its fill of oil. He told me to wipe it down with an oily rag which I did and it blackened right up evenly. The amazing thing is less than a minute after wiping it with oil it felt dry to the touch and not slippery at all to handle.

Angel

Now that is nice! I wonder if the XD would look good with this.

I plan on finding out. I have just the candidate, a pre melonite 9mm service XD. I also want to send my Bedell Spitfire too, just waiting to see what those Semi-gloss pics look like!

I'm planning on going this route when I have my Open gun re-comped later this year, after the Open Nationals - so I don't want to bug Ryan w/ a call, right now, as I'd likely just be wasting his time. I'm curious about how the semi-gloss/gloss finishes turn out, as well. Is the gloss of the finish solely determined by the level of polish on the surfaces?

I'll take the lack of offers to sponsor the completion of my 1911 to indicate that all of you are fighting over who gets the honor and that I can expect someone to come out on top eventually and contact me.

Seriously though, I can't wait to get everything the way I want it and get it refinished. That finish looks incredible.

Chris