Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things You Only Do Once -

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen an Unertl 100mm "Team Scope" that used to be prevalent on the firing line at Camp Perry? They are quite heavy and have a special, spring-loaded tripod. My National Guard rifle team had one in storage and for some reason I had it out, just messing around. Before I mounted the scope, I was bent over the tripod and wondered, "what does this knob do?"

Yep, elevation release. Right on the chin. Fortunately I was the only person in the room so I quietly sat on the floor until I felt better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't ever pull the back plate (housing the triggers) from an M-2 .50 caliber with the bolt to the rear. The plate is hard to get off and the spring guide comes flying out the back like a bullet. It hit the guys chest with enough force to shatter a button on his utilities and left a bloody gouge over his sternum. When I caught my breath, I told the class "And that's why you don't do that." I then laid down on the floor of my armory until the tears stopped. What a minute, did I say I??????????? It still hurts when I think about it.

• 2 months later...

Went the beach as a young man and went to sleep with a my hand on my chest. Took in a lot more sun than I would have thought. Ended up with terrible sun burn and the imprint of my hand on my chest was solid white against the tanned skin for weeks to come

Went the beach as a young man and went to sleep with a my hand on my chest. Took in a lot more sun than I would have thought. Ended up with terrible sun burn and the imprint of my hand on my chest was solid white against the tanned skin for weeks to come

Went to Blacks Beach in San Diego once. Found out that there or certain part of a man's body that should not be sunburned.

Edited by WilliamDahl

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to fix a steel plate for the club. Maybe 1 minute of arc time. Was at home with just a sleeveless short and flip flops. Welded the plate. Next day forgot I had an appointment at the dermatologist, you should of seen me trying to explain the "sun" burn on one arm righty at the sleeveless area. At least he did not see my one foot where a weld splatter hit :yawn:. If you decided to weld, wear a long sleeve short and more than flip flops.

• 3 weeks later...

I started changing the oil on a friends car and it took about a pint before I noticed that I was draining transmission fluid. Oops!

A friend of mine did that, once log ago, but didn't notice that he'd drained the tranny fluid. Then he added 5 quarts of oil, and didn't check the dipstick. Runined the engine and the tranny.

In 1986 at the Illinois Sectional (when IL was only one Section) we went to dinner

after first day of shooting. I was getting out of the side door on a mini-van and

Perry Wilson shut the passenger door and caught my first two fingers on my weak hand

with that door. The door had locked and the driver had to run back and unlock the

doors to get me out. I sat at dinner with the first two fingers of my weak hand in

a glass of ice water. The next day, of course we had weak handed shooting, I shot

and won the Section Title. Only one I have ever won, maybe I should try it again?

In 1986 at the Illinois Sectional (when IL was only one Section) we went to dinner

after first day of shooting. I was getting out of the side door on a mini-van and

Perry Wilson shut the passenger door and caught my first two fingers on my weak hand

with that door. The door had locked and the driver had to run back and unlock the

doors to get me out. I sat at dinner with the first two fingers of my weak hand in

a glass of ice water. The next day, of course we had weak handed shooting, I shot

and won the Section Title. Only one I have ever won, maybe I should try it again?

:D

It's interesting how a hightened sense of awareness, in a specific area, often enhances performance.

:D

It's interesting how a hightened sense of awareness, in a specific area, often enhances performance.

A similar situation happened to Kevin Angstadt, this year's Bianchi winner back in 2010. We were still getting things finished up on our range just before the Regional Action Pistol match and he was helping stack some cross-ties when one got dropped on his trigger finger (right hand). He won the match!

The next year at the Bates City MO Regional, they presented him with a 2" thick section of a cross-tie that had a hammer handle installed, mounted in a nice glass-fronted presentation case, with a note to use it to "sensitize" his trigger finger before the match. He won that one too! :bow:

Alan~^~

I have long laid claim to the three stupidest sports injuries of all time:

Broke three ribs playing golf. (my buddy was driving the cart, pulled up next to my ball and just as I was stepping off he spots his ball and floors it.)

Lesson: I drive the cart. No ifs, ands or buts. (BTW: That was the 15th hole. I finished the round and parred the 18th.)

Broke my right leg playing Ping-Pong. (Jumped sideways to get a ball going of the edge of the table, foot slid and hit the wall. CRACK! )

Lesson: Make sure all sides of the table are at least 6 feet from any obstructions or obstacles.

Broke my collar bone playing cards. (Not even gonna explain this one)

Lesson: Never play Spoons with your SO's brother if he is a body builder.

• 3 weeks later...

So my dog had a no bark collar on, the kind that sprays citronella oil out of the end. I get home and he is barking his head off, so I take the collar off and look at it, figured it was empty let out a loud "woof" and BAM oil right in my face. My wife still thinks its funny.

So my dog had a no bark collar on, the kind that sprays citronella oil out of the end. I get home and he is barking his head off, so I take the collar off and look at it, figured it was empty let out a loud "woof" and BAM oil right in my face. My wife still thinks its funny.

As she should! :)

Couple of years ago I was doing a workout at the gym in the morning of the day I was flying out to shoot our National Championship (Canada). While taking a 45 lb plate off the rack to load the bar it slipped out of my sweaty fingers and of course I tried to grab it, pinching my finger between the edge of the plate and the rack it had just come off of. Had to get my nail pierced before I got on the plane and shot the match with my ring finger swollen up like a christmas light. It's really amazing how much fingers can hurt.

I did not win.

• 4 weeks later...