Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 2011 mags

bootcamp

Hey all, what are the best 2011 mags on the market these days?  I’ve been seeing Atlas, MBX or STI and I’m having a tough time deciding which mags are most reliable for match use.  Lock back followers not required.

Thanks in advance.

They are all good.  MBX are the best as always, but Atlas have made a strong showing.  Those two have slightly increased capacity with MBX having highest capacity.

I have had great luck with MBX mags (170's, 155's, and 140's) and find they feed better than the one Atlas mag that I have.  I have not expieienced a material failure in either MBX or Atlas.

I once found an old stainless long  mag for a 45 caliber sti type 
I filled it with copper pieces  and this is my best practice mag  for my 2011 gun  in  9mm.😉

I mostly use MBX mags myself but have some Atlas mag and STI mags for practice. MBX never have issues for me, but Atlas and STi run into random nose diving on me regardless of tuning. This is tested over a bunch of different steel and plastic grips with various mag catch heights. 

3 hours ago, louu said:

Atlas for sure, American company. Just a better quality mag and they stand behind their product. The feed lips stay put and every one I have hasn't needed any adjustments so far. 

Mbx are junk. They split and the arrogant European scumbag that owns the company will tell you to piss off. 

STI's have been hit or miss, usually a miss. 

All 3 need grams guts with the tab cut off. 

You and I have had very different experiences with MBX it appears. 

I've been using MBX mags for open since 2016 and won't be changing that. I use MBX guts in all of them, as well. I've had 1 mag have issues and I think it was from being stepped on/crushed. That mag was repaired and its been good ever since. 

Both MBX and Atlas are stand up companies. MBX has more capacity available out of the box, but is at a higher price point. Atlas is more affordable, but you may want to change the guts out to get 1 or 2 more rounds. 

All that being said, MBX are the gold standard in my eyes. 

Which is better, Ford or Chevy?  You'll find people that love and hate either.  Even though they all look the same mags have a surprising amount of variability to them.  Get a good, in-spec, trustworthy set of any and they'll do fine.  I still use a pre-1994 STI mag and it works great.  If I was buying new ones now I'd probably get a couple each and compare.

I use MBX, Atlas and Staccato magazines. The Staccato mags have been flawless in my Staccato but can be a little finicky in other 2011 style guns. The MBX and Atlas mags work great and seem to run in everything. The Atlas and MBX magazines are the only ones I'll use in matches.

Never had MBX, but everyone swears by them.

I've got (1) STI mag and it sucks. My (3) Staccato mags are nice but they are short / for carry. 

I have (5) 21 round Atlas Mags and they are great, zero issues, but also I shoot an Atlas and OCD like things to match so... well, I hear MBX is the best.

STI Gen 2 mags suck.  The body profile is slim and allows over-insertion in Cheely grips.  Atlas mags work just fine.  I use them for classifiers, when I have to drop a mag in dirt or mud, or at one club that requires slide lock.  

I've been using MBX 40sw mags since 2017.  MBX 170 and 155 Gen 2 have been solid.  I drop them all the time and have never had to touch the feed lips.  I did finally change springs after three seasons.  I'll make it a practice to change yearly now.

BTW, Atlas guts do not work at all in MBX mags.  My advice is to use Atlas guts in Atlas mags, and MBX guts in MBX mags.

I prefer mbx.  Have one atlas 170mm.  Only holds 28 rounds and I get the occasional nose dive.  Don’t use it in matches any more.  

MBX 170mm has been flawless and holds 29-30

SVI and Atlas.

All 170 mm for ipsc.

(only use 170).

lazy bastard never change springs, Then again never had Any mag issue with these two Brands.

My Guns tend to run… 100%.  

(The issues i have had is down to reloads and xhexing Rikards ammo and primer wrong way).

Never Check practice ammo. 

for Standard/limited I use SPS.

for 9mm, only shoot factory ammo, no issues since 2013, stil on the springs they came with.

SPS 170 have a few issues  …. Not usable Even as a paper weight.

Always debur and polish feedlips. (Sps is has burs… )

latest SVi mags… plug and play.

I’ve had 2 major issues with atlas mags. 
1. Rounds get under the follower. 
2. A live round will eject up and through the ejection port when the gun cycles. The gun usually still cycles fine and runs.

Ive tried multiple different adjustments, I’ve had atlas retune the mags. The problems persist. As of now I use my atlas mags for practice and Mbx for matches.

This isnt a problem with 1-2 rogue mags either. I have 30+ atlas mags and have had one of these issues with atleast 15 of them. 

44 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Have you used different Followers?

Just the atlas ones. I’ve replaced with no difference, it seems to be in the tube. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've only used STI/Staccato magazines, the Gen1's were pretty flakey and I had to tune them a lot but the Gen2 & Gen3's seem to be pretty good. I tuned the Gen2's at first but haven't had to since and the Gen3's didn't need tuning.

Haven't had failures.

• 2 weeks later...