Troy McManus DNROI Nationals Incident

rickety_rack19

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is the term "dysfunctional" the first thing that leaps to my mind lately when I think of my favorite sport?

I remember the good old days when the worst thing that annoyed me was slackers on my squad who wouldn't help reset. 

2 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Apparently, my local MDs have found a way around it... 🤷‍♂️

Sorry to drift the thread. That wasn't my intention.

Troy has a history of misguided judgement both in interactions with the membership and his constant undemanding of the USPSA rule set with his clarifications and DNROI Blog posts that muddy the water for our ruleset. 

More than one MD has been known to delete non-USPSA members from the match before uploading to USPSA to save the $.  There was an effort to crack down on this by comparing PS and USPSA scores at one point.

PCSL rules currently suffer from the same Dictator problem as most 3-Gun rules that swipe the USPSA rules except the inconvenient ones in that the MD/RM gets to make the final call.  A competitor-run arb process needs to be required (and rarely used) to deter that.

Additionally, it needs to be recognized by the match insurance companies as a legit org, or they won't cover those matches (a requirement to use ranges around here for matches).  IDK if it is yet.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I think the point is that the 'lapsed' members are still participating in the activity.  They likely feel that 'voting' and waiting for change to happen is a fool's errand, so they take a more drastic approach and impact the revenue stream.

So they are replacing something they believe has no impact with something that measurably has no impact. And expect things to change... SMH. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

So, basically you're saying USPSA is only useful if you're worried about classification.

I have a feeling as soon as pscl develops some sort of small classification system, USPSA will wither rapidly.

Seems like we are saying the same thing. Multi-gun pretty much proves it. 

14 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

That was back when the leadership loved the sport, now I think they just love the money.

Here's a link to the latest financial statements, accessible by all members. There isn't that much to go around on a 2.8M revenue, especially given that it's large enough organization that it requires a few people to run it. 

But I would agree with opinions here that non-nominal salaries tend to create less than desirable dynamics. Similar to our political system. 

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Just a thought I had. 

Considering the situation, the RO being berated for saying things DNRIO didn't like on social media. And we all know there are members who were removed for saying things the BOD didn't like. Doesn't really matter if you agree with them or not doesn't really matter here. 

I'm not going to try to defend anyone in this particular situation, because the behavior as described is unacceptable.... However, have there really been members " who were removed for saying things the BOD didn't like"? Or were they members who made threats, and/or took concrete steps to personally attack the organization, work with anti-gun legislators to sabotage events, etc...

I personally have had many disagreements with jake, troy and former president foley. I've told them they were wrong and I disagreed with them, but i've never had the slightest issue with it, and I know others who have done the same. Do you suppose there is some difference in the specifics of the situation that caused the board to find certain conduct so bad that it is worthy of removal?

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

Troy's action reflect upon USPSA organization, its members and guess what its vendors.  What vendor wants to contribution to a public relations disaster.

While true, the income breakdown shows advertising fees are just over 10% of the overall revenue. Membership dues and activity fees are still the primary driver at over 80% of the revenue.

11 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Or were they members who made threats, and/or took concrete steps to personally attack the organization, work with anti-gun legislators to sabotage events, etc...

Was there any actual proof of this whatsoever? Because the BoD certainly didn’t provide any. 

This isn't really anything new... Troy threatened Tim for Minnesota last year or the year before that if any of his stickers were found in the portas#!tters he would be DQed from the match.... and that it was on Tim to make sure his followers didn't paste anything. 

36 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Or were they members who made threats, and/or took concrete steps to personally attack the organization, work with anti-gun legislators to sabotage events, etc...

I'm not trying to defend them either, The attacks on the org you mentioned were verbal, so like I said words. I've yet to see any proof of one of them sabotaging that event. Mostly speculation, and doesn't change the fact that HQ put the org in that position to begin with.

36 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Do you suppose there is some difference in the specifics of the situation that caused the board to find certain conduct so bad that it is worthy of removal?

Maybe there is a difference. YML was joking with friends and lost his job. Do you know what this guy posted on social media that was so bad that Troy shouldn't get yeeted from his job just like YML? 

Would you agree this guys concerns over the situation are justified? 

11 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm not trying to defend them either, The attacks on the org you mentioned were verbal, so like I said words. I've yet to see any proof of one of them sabotaging that event. Mostly speculation, and doesn't change the fact that HQ put the org in that position to begin with.

Maybe there is a difference. YML was joking with friends and lost his job. Do you know what this guy posted on social media that was so bad that Troy shouldn't get yeeted from his job just like YML? 

Would you agree this guys concerns over the situation are justified? 

I've heard he shared the information posted by Practical.Shooting.Indights about the orgs losses at various nationals...

2 hours ago, warpspeed said:

Just when you think it can't get any worse -

We've had a President removed for similar behavior. Wonder how they will justify keeping Troy. 

I'll send a note to my AD. If you think this was wrong you should too,

As did I. Not heard back.

9 minutes ago, BMSMB said:

I've heard he shared the information posted by Practical.Shooting.Indights about the orgs losses at various nationals...

That's what I assumed was likely the case. Which doesn't seem to justify the actions at all IMO. Maybe if the shooter was PSI, but he isn't and even then it's still not the place to have words about it.