Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ginex SPP Going Off in my 1050

pbairborne

I recently bought some Ginex small pistol primers. I had them shipped to my place in Florida where I load on a 650. These primers are the brass ones. What I found was that they were difficult to seat on the 650, giving a number of high primers. Because of that I brought them back to Ohio where I load on a 1050. I've run about 500 on my 1050 and one went off on me tonight. This was the third Ginex primer that has gone off in my 1050. The problem doesn't seem to be associated with any particular headstamp. 

I've had the 1050 since 2016 and run many thousands of rounds on it using WSP, Federal, CCI, S&B. Wolf and Tula primers, both SPP and SR and never had one of those go off.

On the 1050, I adjusted the seating depth to where the primers were at least level with the base of the case. This adjustment has caused no problems when loading S&B's.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any suggestions to resolve the issue?

Bill

ive loaded 30 k of gen spp. i had one pop on me auto drive 1050. i noticed the high primers also. i bought fw arms hold down die an that has helped alot on high primers. all my brass is processed an i prime also before loading. i noticed running them through again when loading zero high primers. 

Well, my inferior Hornady LNL AP has done 10k+ so far and zero issues with seating depth and no kaboom. This does give me pause about smashing them into tight pockets. Maybe I just need more rounds loaded with these before I set one off. Hopefully not.

3 hours ago, Abominator said:

Well, my inferior Hornady LNL AP has done 10k+ so far and zero issues with seating depth and no kaboom. This does give me pause about smashing them into tight pockets. Maybe I just need more rounds loaded with these before I set one off. Hopefully not.

Ohhh no, you just cursed yourself…..

Used over 10,000 foreign primers sense this mess started and one thing that has helped is putting the cases in plastic bag two sprays of Hornady one shot case lube, shake the bag and let dry.

Everything runs easier and the primers sear better.

10 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Used over 10,000 foreign primers sense this mess started and one thing that has helped is putting the cases in plastic bag two sprays of Hornady one shot case lube, shake the bag and let dry.

Everything runs easier and the primers sear better.

Yeah but... why do you need 2 squirts if it's "one shot"?

Kidding. 

I use 2 squirts too.

i haven't had any go off (using a 650), but i have started being choosy with headstamps. for .40, i pull out any s&b or cbc or herters brass and toss it, because the ginex primers just don't go in very well. for 9mm it's mostly s&b that I toss.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I only bought like 5000 of the Bosnia Ginex primers and just finished them off a few days ago with no problems to report. I am back to Winchester primers and I do like them better as they are more stout than the Ginex but boy the Ginex worked when nothing could be bought at any price. Thanks Bosnia.  Craig

Had the same happen.  They are a bit harder to seat and I was loading at a good speed, so my assumption is crimped brass + loading fast + oversized primer = kaboom.  Haven't had any more issues since making sure the swage rod is doing it's job.

• 3 weeks later...

You really need to swage primer pockets for the Ginex primers to seat properly. Even then some may get a little high (not seated fully).

I tried Ginex, never again, even if they are free. They do go off 100%, the issue is with seating fully.

I was wondering I bought 3 k of the small rifle primers, do you think I will have any problems with them on my 550 or my square deal? I think they should be a little thicker than the small pistol primers

IMG_20230903_211849886_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

On 9/2/2023 at 12:51 AM, CeeZer said:

You really need to swage primer pockets for the Ginex primers to seat properly. Even then some may get a little high (not seated fully).

I tried Ginex, never again, even if they are free. They do go off 100%, the issue is with seating fully.

Maybe you were a little unlucky? Because they've seated properly for me thousands of times and I've never swaged a pocket in my life. Are they somewhat difficult to seat? Sure, but so are some other brands (I'm looking at you S&B, lol).

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my 1st 5,000 box of Ginex. Yep they were hard to seat at first with the 650. Once I calibrated my right arm to push about 3lbs harder on the handle, I've had zero issues. For the price we can find these for, it was 100% worth it to me. They ALL have gone bang in the gun only and I just cracked open my 2nd 5K case.

I bought a case of 5k 

on my LNL I will have multiple wasted primers due to not seating properly or smashing per 100pack. I’ll never buy them again.  I have maybe 2k left.  I almost want to give them away 

i I actually broke my hornaday press pushing these primers

Edited by Zachjet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've now loaded several thousand Ginex SP in 9mm, all on my 1050. The recommendation to lube the cases did the trick. I've been using Hornady One Shot, putting them in a plastic bag, giving them 1 shot, sealing the bag and shaking. Since doing this, I haven't had a single primer pop in my 1050.