Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul OR MPA OR ?

RGC

Looking for an "economical", new 9mm Major Open pistol.  Contemplating a BUL UR or MPA Open design.  The BUL is significantly less than the MPA, but the MPA shares all 19/2011 parts vs top end of the Bul.

Any insights or experiences (including customer service) on which would shoot flatter, reliably, etc?  I would be using boxed 9mm Major (BlackDot, AA) for awhile until I commit the time fully to get back to reloading and work schedules change.

I love my SAS ll UR.  I also can't speak to the warranty, but any question or issue that I have had, has been answered within 12 hours!.  I've never needed to inquire about warranty work as my pistol has performed perfectly. I say yes to Bul Armory, 100%. I had a Czechmate before I purchased the Bul, and the difference is night and day.

Hmm.  I sent a few inquiries out but had zero responses and after 4 days am less optimistic.  MPA actually responded within minutes....  Now if USPSA Limited Optics were a "real" thing my decision would be clear.

31 minutes ago, RGC said:

Hmm.  I sent a few inquiries out but had zero responses and after 4 days am less optimistic.  MPA actually responded within minutes....  Now if USPSA Limited Optics were a "real" thing my decision would be clear.

Brazos . The semi custom seems pretty good for the price

35 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Looked at it years ago and now again...wonder what the feedback would be on popples with 9mm Major on boxed (BlackDot, AA) ammo would be.....just do not have time to reload at all.

6 hours ago, RGC said:

Looked at it years ago and now again...wonder what the feedback would be on popples with 9mm Major on boxed (BlackDot, AA) ammo would be.....just do not have time to reload at all.

Shoot Bob an email and he will let you know. I have one of his limited guns I bought used and before I got it sent him some questions and replied quick. 

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

just got mine in december.  no matches yet.  very nice fit and finish.  with his load recipe, the gun shoots pretty flat.

MPA has great customer service. I bought an early DS9 and they contacted me for a free upgrade to current DS9 specs - just got it back. Great communication. I use their products for PRS and see the owner Phil regularly at matches.

1 hour ago, donnyglock said:

This would be a far better choice than the other two. 

I know several people that use Bob’s semi custom guns and they all like them. Love mine it just runs with no issues 

20 hours ago, RGC said:

I have some to test but Everglades did not make power factor out of my gun. 
Limcat long with 4 popples. 

Have a couple Bul. Nice guns but if you have any questions about replacement parts or anything else with the guns, You’ll more or less be met with a dead end on customer service. And warranty is voided if you even use a non factory magazine. Let alone if you want to do any custom work to it. 

14 hours ago, davsco said:

just got mine in december.  no matches yet.  very nice fit and finish.  with his load recipe, the gun shoots pretty flat.

9 or 38SC?  

14 minutes ago, Pmatte1 said:

Have a couple Bul. Nice guns but if you have any questions about replacement parts or anything else with the guns, You’ll more or less be met with a dead end on customer service. And warranty is voided if you even use a non factory magazine. Let alone if you want to do any custom work to it. 

Thanks for that.  Not keen on companies that use warranty verbiage escape clauses.... thank you for your transparency.

I was also in a similar dilemma between MPA and BUL. I’m convinced with MPA. 

I shot 38SC for along time when I was shooting open. I’m running CO at the moment and hope to get back into Open with 9major after I retire or if my kids get into the sport with me. 

• 2 weeks later...

MPA is not a true "custom" 2011 they are putting parts together from other manufacturers.  I have their DS9, and its a beautiful firearm but it needed some work such as a trigger job/tuning, polishing internals, modding, etc.  My gunsmith looked at my MPA DS9 hybrid and right away noticed tool marks, not buttery smooth action, trigger was advertised at 2lbs when it was over 3lbs~ extractor needed to be tuned, barrel lock up need some adjustments, etc.  For the price MPA is a nice option, I would disregard any products from Bul Armory, simple reason is that their magazine are propriatery and that's no bueno.  

MPA Honcho.JPG

MPA .JPG