Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light 9mm load for wife training

MingTyhMaa

I was planning to create a ladder of light 9mm loads using 115g bullets with CFE pistol to see how light I could make it and still have it cycle my wife's M&P shield reliably.  Then test it, then make several hundred for an upcoming trip to BLM land in Las Vegas for my wife to practice with.  This is her introduction to 9mm.

Alas my range trips have been rained out so I'll have to just pick one and make them.

CCI Small Pistol Primer 115g  
Hodgdon CFE Pistol Your avg measured velocity PF Avg
4.5 839 96
4.6 869 100
4.7 899 103
4.8 929 107
4.9 959 110
5 954 110
5.1 976 112
5.2 1047 120
5.3 1054 121
5.4 1075 124
5.5 1095 126
5.6 1115 128
5.7 1180 136

The velocity measurements from 4.5-4.8 grains of power are extrapolated.  4.9-5.7 is what I've tested before with a 4 in barrel.  The Shield of course is a 3 in barrel.  

Which load would you choose to make and why?

Again the theory is start her on the lightest load that will reliably cycle her M&P shield, get her practicing, and go up slowly on the powder load over time until it's close to the defensive round we choose to keep in it. 

115 will only feel snappy if you try to make powerfactor, and only than will 147s feel like they have less recoil.

If you do not have to make PF a lighter bullet will have less recoil than a heavier bullet.

You will have to test what works reliable like Yeti says.

I would use a faster burning powder for things like his though, N320/Titegroup/Clean shot/Bullseye etc.

13 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

115's usually feel kinda snappy.  147's feel like bunny farts.  If you want her to enjoy shooting, then I'd agree with @Nathanb and start with something heavier.

In my search for lighter defensive rounds I found

Sigs 115g V-crown JHP designed for micro pistols, 1050 fps

Hornady Critical Defense LIte 100g JHP at 1125 fps

So I was wondering if there was a reason they were using a lighter bullet, so I thought I would move forward with 115g bullets.  Plus I bought a lot of 115g bullets lol.

8 hours ago, MingTyhMaa said:

So I was wondering if there was a reason they were using a lighter bullet, so I thought I would move forward with 115g bullets.  Plus I bought a lot of 115g bullets lol.

If you are looking for lighter recoil with the same terminal ballistics, look at something like the Black Hills Honey badger 9mm ammo.  It is especially effective as a 60gr .380 round.  If you are not looking for really reduced recoil, try the HST standard velocity.  It outperforms the two you mentioned in clear ballistic gel and through four layers of denim in front of the gel.

135 Blues with Titegroup or equiv powder may work; TG or N320 is a great balance of bullet weight and burn rate.  They definitely feel different than 147s with fast powder but will generate enough energy to reliably work the Shield.

I tried this concept with 105, 115 and 124 grain. Light charges up to full power in a P365x.

She ended up shooting the full power 124s the best and said she liked them as well.

I thought sure she would shoot the soft loads better but she didn't.

Fired 800 rounds so far and getting better with each session.

CFE powder is a slow burning powder. With a 3" barrel most of the powder will be burning outside of the barrel. For supper soft loads you need a fast burning powder with a small powder charge!  You will need a load with about 105pf-115pf.

43 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

No matter how lite there are better ways to train her,,,  try a shock collar.

Dude! How about a little heads up next time. I spit pop all over the loading bench!:roflol:

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

No matter how lite there are better ways to train her,,,  try a shock collar.

Best to make sure her mag’s empty before pushing that button. 😁

Edited by Farmer