Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many stages in one day?

TaterHead

On 12/17/2022 at 9:34 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

@Racinready300ex I still am amazed and still don't understand how quickly and efficiently shooters were able to get through the 11 stages of this year's Delmarva sectional.

Yeah, that match rolled along really well. I got there Saturday afternoon expecting to watch some people shoot and they were already finished when I arrived. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's 1,000x easier to shoot more stages in a day without staff reset when the entire squad pitches in the entire time. I really hate it when it's me and one other guy the last few stages resetting and everyone else is sitting on their asses. 

• 3 weeks later...

If the match flow is really on point I don't mind doing 12/13 in one day. If the match flow is the usual not fast but not super slow i like 8/10 in a day. If shooting starts at 9 I'd like to be off the range and walking to the car by 5pm. Especially if it's hot and humid out. I shot I think it was Indiana sectional 2 years ago amd it was 12 stages in one day. I swear it was 100* out and 100% humidity. After about 8 stages I pretty much stopped caring about anything but not passing out. And I drink a LOT of water. Sadly the match had some really cool stages I didn't fully enjoy due to weather. But that's how the cookie crumbles as they say. 

5 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

If the match flow is really on point I don't mind doing 12/13 in one day. If the match flow is the usual not fast but not super slow i like 8/10 in a day. If shooting starts at 9 I'd like to be off the range and walking to the car by 5pm. Especially if it's hot and humid out. I shot I think it was Indiana sectional 2 years ago amd it was 12 stages in one day. I swear it was 100* out and 100% humidity. After about 8 stages I pretty much stopped caring about anything but not passing out. And I drink a LOT of water. Sadly the match had some really cool stages I didn't fully enjoy due to weather. But that's how the cookie crumbles as they say. 

I think my cookies start crumbling around the 8th stage.

I can keep them together for a couple more after that.

At that point all I have left is a pile of crumbs.

2 hours ago, ddc said:

I think my cookies start crumbling around the 8th stage.

I can keep them together for a couple more after that.

At that point all I have left is a pile of crumbs.

It's not about what you can do physically. You start to loose it mentally. You start making stupid mistakes.

Id rather spread it out. Shooting is suppossed to be fun, I mean geesh, have already turned it into a sprint contest, doesnt also need to be a marathon.. For a major I'd like 12 stages over 2 days.  A system with half day format works well for everyone..  Half match on friday, half match morning and evening sat, half match sun morning. Let shooters pick the 2 squads they want..  All day guys are happy, half day guys are happy

The old IPSC Columbus Cup was 18 stages over 3 days.  You'd get up, have a nice breakfast at the match hotel, take the tour bus to the range at a sensible hour, shoot six stages and be back in the hotel pool by 3.  Round up a group to go to dinner, and repeat... 

37 minutes ago, shred said:

The old IPSC Columbus Cup was 18 stages over 3 days.  You'd get up, have a nice breakfast at the match hotel, take the tour bus to the range at a sensible hour, shoot six stages and be back in the hotel pool by 3.  Round up a group to go to dinner, and repeat... 

the year I shot nationals was like that , but they had morning and afternoon slots,, 6 stages a day, 3 days

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I shot Area 6 the other day, all in one day. 12 stages. We were done around 4, and I felt like I had enough gas in the tank to shoot a couple more stages if I had too. I still ended up with around 10-11k steps, I got up at 4:20 and arrived at the range at 6 am to start walking stages.

It's amazing how fast squads move through a staff reset match. These were big stages with a full squad and we were still well ahead of schedule. 

Depends on a few things. For me, the more adverse the weather the fewer stages till I'm burnt out. Also, if the match is staff reset doing more stages in a day is very doable. Generally, I like to shoot max of about 12 stages a day. 

The way it works at IPSC Matches in my area:

Staff shoot for free, and get a lunch. If the Match is over more than one day, staff get a roof over their heads if needed.

The Pre-Match for staff is first, with squads self-resetting and ROing. Then the paying shooters just shoot.

Previously, we had big squads and an 8 Stage match would take all day. Now, clubs have gone for small squads (6 or so) that do 6 or 8 stages in half a day.

This might seem 'minor' but in areas where you need constant hydration, not having convenient access to pee is a royal pain. Having to take a hike becomes obnoxious over long matches. I've seen folks heat stroke out, so we've pushed hydration but then trying to figure out when to 'go' - if it takes a hike is a major annoyance and can slow the match down. Also, the time to exam a stage seems to show creep if not monitored. Watching folks fiddle with their dot on the line - builds up time with more stages. Get it together before starting at the safe areas. 

3 hours ago, SnowShooter said:

This might seem 'minor' but in areas where you need constant hydration, not having convenient access to pee is a royal pain. Having to take a hike becomes obnoxious over long matches. I've seen folks heat stroke out, so we've pushed hydration but then trying to figure out when to 'go' - if it takes a hike is a major annoyance and can slow the match down. Also, the time to exam a stage seems to show creep if not monitored. Watching folks fiddle with their dot on the line - builds up time with more stages. Get it together before starting at the safe areas. 

Get it together before starting? Of course the more the better but...

"fiddle with their dot on the line" is necessary to do on the line; not in a safe area.

The safe area will very often give you a different presentation of light and shadow, etc. than the starting position will. You need to know what your dot looks like at the start pos facing downrange; not what it looked like 50 feet away facing in a different direction two minutes ago.

Well, if red dots have any practical utility, you have it holstered with a reasonable level. Isn't like a bad person is going to wait for you to adjust your sights. So which is, a gamer toy or something useful on da streetz?

Do you intend to have a starting position, walk through and a peep in the real world? In any case, having 10 guys in a squad fiddle slows things down. Over an entire match, that's time. 

From the forum guidelines:

Intent
This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

https://forums.brianenos.com/guidelines/

3 hours ago, SnowShooter said:

Well, if red dots have any practical utility, you have it holstered with a reasonable level. Isn't like a bad person is going to wait for you to adjust your sights. So which is, a gamer toy or something useful on da streetz?

Do you intend to have a starting position, walk through and a peep in the real world? In any case, having 10 guys in a squad fiddle slows things down. Over an entire match, that's time. 

This is the USPSA/IPSC shooting forum. You will get more love in the IDPA forum.

4 hours ago, SnowShooter said:

It’s a game people are really just fine tuning at the start. In reality a dot can be as bright as ever or pretty dim before it looses its usability. Extreme examples not a little bright or a little dim. I shot an indoor lights out stage with a really dim red dot the other day and still placed in the top 3 on that stage overall. It was a mistake but I made it work and really didn’t notice until the stage ended. 

Out of all the matches I have been to, people fiddling with dots is never an issue. Typically people will adjust on the first stage, then only have to check after that. Unless clouds roll in and/or out changes lighting. I have had dots wash out on me because I did not check the dot in all legal directions of the berm.  

There are are so many other things in regards to matches that cause issues. People checking dots is not one of them. Not from any observation I have ever made.  I think most would agree. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Out of all the matches I have been to, people fiddling with dots is never an issue. Typically people will adjust on the first stage, then only have to check after that. Unless clouds roll in and/or out changes lighting. I have had dots wash out on me because I did not check the dot in all legal directions of the berm.  

There are are so many other things in regards to matches that cause issues. People checking dots is not one of them. Not from any observation I have ever made.  I think most would agree. 

I would agree 100%.

The more the better. I'd do 2 rounds of 10 in a half day if they'd let me. Heck I'd do a Friday main entry, then 2 entries Sat / Sun for the lulz unscored just to get more match in. 

I think the best week we ever did was TX3Gun Fri-Sun, WSSC 4 entries Wed, Best in Texas PRS Fri-Sun. 9 days of Nat's was a pretty close 2nd or 3rd in terms of fun but those were only half days. 

I also did a 10 mile hike the Wednesday morning between PCC and LTD Nat's in Utah and a few others after LTD so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. 

On 5/31/2023 at 11:23 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

I also did a 10 mile hike the Wednesday morning between PCC and LTD Nat's in Utah and a few others after LTD so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. 

Ya think?

On 5/31/2023 at 10:23 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

We did the Zion Rim trail between one set of nats there.  Only 9 miles, but 2000+ feet of vertical.