Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags for USPSA Carry Optics

ES13Raven

On my sp-01 I have springer precision basepads on the factory 18 rd, and the mecgar 17 rd mags. The 18 rd ones are slightly smaller, but I can load up to 23 and would get slide lockback when the springs were fresh. The 17 rds I can load to 22 but don't get lockback. I use the grams springs/followers as well.

My wife uses just the 17 rd mecgars with the springer basepads and grams spring/follower for her shadow 2.

Completely happy with them. I typically just load to 21 unless a stage plan works better with an extra round or 2.

Edited by BMSMB

On 12/31/2021 at 2:03 PM, haiedras said:

Mecgar 17 round mags with henning basepads, grams 11 coil springs and followers. 23 reloadable

Same for me as well, been 100% reliable over the last 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, ES13Raven said:

Question: are you supposed to keep the floor plates installed on the spring? Or just install the basepad on the spring directly?

Remove the base plate retainers and compress the spring into the tubes with your finger. Slide the extensions onto the lips, let the springs expand into the extensions. 

I’m using Mec-gar 17rd. mag bodies, Grams 11 coil spring/follower kits, Taylor Freelance extensions to get 23 rounds. 

Edited by OPENB

• 1 month later...

I use the extended base pads that came with the nickel mags....

59464_f236511ff95d39cb808b4ac69010c7ed0f6a5d7ca6ea4ab46f-pimgpsh-fullsize-distr-1.jpg.8016e71f825b2cdb7760c7859e074ba9.jpg

And doing some fitting/filing on the legs of the follower, I get 20 rds whereas normally it's 19.  I think the Grams follower kits fit even more, but haven't tried.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, fcernese said:

Is anyone getting 23+1 and still have the slide lock back on the last round?

I have a henning set that does, but likely not 100% of the time, I honestly don't go to slide lock very often or if I can avoid it.

I'm new to this, but from what I understand you want to plan your reloads when you're on the move somewhere. If you're shooting to slide lock you're either shooting IDPA, or you've made a mistake.

4 minutes ago, ultimase said:

I have a henning set that does, but likely not 100% of the time, I honestly don't go to slide lock very often or if I can avoid it.

I'm new to this, but from what I understand you want to plan your reloads when you're on the move somewhere. If you're shooting to slide lock you're either shooting IDPA, or you've made a mistake.

I totally understand not going to slide-lock, just curious if anyone has them working. They appear like they should work, but fall just a little short.