Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Open Gun holster is Everyone Using

war_material

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I can't thank you all enough for the suggestions.  I now have a nice long list to research.  Looks like from what I am seeing on everything Everglades catches my eye the most.  I still have until around March to decide.  Just gathering up what I need to get and the holster is a huge decision for me!  I already decided on magazines, powder and bullets.

10 minutes ago, DukeSoprano said:

Anyone switch from a Ghost to an Everglades? Did you miss the barrel support? Is the unlock lever easier to operate the the Ghost lever?

Thanks

I had the barrel support on my double alpha and did not care for it. The locking lever is super easy to engage and disengage on the MRH. It’s very solid as I had a stage where I forgot to unlock it and obviously could not get the gun out of the holster. As far as missing the barrel support I don’t even think of it anymore. All of the other guns I’ve owned have sat nicely on the MRH.

I just ordered the SLB Gen 3 from Finland.  I'm curious to see how it compares to the MRH.  I had an MRH and swapped it out for the 015.  I preferred the 015 over the MRH for the ease of setup, slightly shorter release and it's almost impossible to miss the lever when drawing while locked.  Having said that, I'm a little annoyed with Safariland so willing to try something new.  I never really cared for the DAA that much.  If need be I will buy another MRH.  It appears as though the SLB does not come with a thigh pad and may not even be drilled and tapped for one, which may be a deal breaker.  If I recall correctly the thigh pad, in addition to adding comfort also provided a little more leverage so the holster wouldn't push down when drawing. 

7 hours ago, clw42 said:

If I recall correctly the thigh pad, in addition to adding comfort also provided a little more leverage so the holster wouldn't push down when drawing. 

IMO the thigh pad is a necessity.   The holster is horrible without it.

8 hours ago, DukeSoprano said:

Did you miss the barrel support? Is the unlock lever easier to operate the the Ghost lever?

I switched from a DAA Pro with muzzle support to a DAA Alpha-X with muzzle support to an Everglades MRH without.  Absolutely no issues.  The design of the MRH eliminates the need for one.

43 minutes ago, zzt said:

IMO the thigh pad is a necessity.   The holster is horrible without it.

Yes. It digs into your thigh pretty bad and sits at a weird angle without. 

Edited by Posvar

My biggest issue besides the digging into my thigh is the gun wiggling. It hasn't even cone out and I've tried to get it to come out of the 015 and DAA alpha x. It's really just annoying AF. One thing I do notice with the 015 is if I'm not 100% on the insertion of the pistol and am slightly forward the gun does not lock in, and will fall out. It also doesn't have any real click feeling or sound if it engages or not. I'm used to it now but it's still something to know if you decide to get one. 

I want to like the MRH but I'm nervous about gun wiggle, comfort (mainly due to having delt with the 015 and its not comfortable), and how many screws it has that can come loose. Am I overthinking it too much? 

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

My biggest issue besides the digging into my thigh is the gun wiggling. It hasn't even cone out and I've tried to get it to come out of the 015 and DAA alpha x. It's really just annoying AF. One thing I do notice with the 015 is if I'm not 100% on the insertion of the pistol and am slightly forward the gun does not lock in, and will fall out. It also doesn't have any real click feeling or sound if it engages or not. I'm used to it now but it's still something to know if you decide to get one. 

I want to like the MRH but I'm nervous about gun wiggle, comfort (mainly due to having delt with the 015 and its not comfortable), and how many screws it has that can come loose. Am I overthinking it too much? 

My SV is very solid in the holster. It does not wiggle at all. I’ve never had a screw come loose on the MRH but did with other holsters. The Limcat was really bad.

7 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Am I overthinking it too much? 

Yes.  There can be some wiggle if you grab the gun and try to push it around while in the holster.  The design is to fit ALL square trigger guard 1911s and 2011s.  It does just that.

In practice, you holster the gun and it stays put.  It is retained magnetically. and physically.  I have run with mine just to see if it stayed put.  It does.  Even so, I lock mine in if I have to run with it.

Well that really sucks that the everglades design is stolen. 

I got my everglades for Christmas yesterday, kinda wish I would have bought it myself so I could just return it because it's no better or worse than the 015. It's actually a little worse because wtf were they thinking not having a thigh pad with it. Yeah I know they sell it separately (stupid) and it's junk but it's out of stock. f*#k I should just give up and use a regular kydex holster and scratch the s#!t out of my gun. 

Really they are all the same, the old school DAA magnetic is just as good as all of them if not better. It's definitely the most comfortable. 

Double Alpha Race Master has thigh pad is super fast and very secure. Required some dialing in for my gun but with that it is the best for me. Did not like the magnet type holsters as it produced too much muzzle movement.

Edited by TONY BARONE
Added comment.

8 hours ago, louu said:

Well that really sucks that the everglades design is stolen. 

I got my everglades for Christmas yesterday, kinda wish I would have bought it myself so I could just return it because it's no better or worse than the 015. It's actually a little worse because wtf were they thinking not having a thigh pad with it. Yeah I know they sell it separately (stupid) and it's junk but it's out of stock. f*#k I should just give up and use a regular kydex holster and scratch the s#!t out of my gun. 

Really they are all the same, the old school DAA magnetic is just as good as all of them if not better. It's definitely the most comfortable. 

Oh man !  So the thigh pad is seperate but you need it for real?

1 hour ago, war_material said:

Afraid so.  If your belt is not super stiff the weight of the gun will cause the holster to down and rotate in toward your leg.  It is the same effect as a drop offset holster in Production.  Many like that butt out position, but it is not what I'm used to.   Besides, I'm a chicken.  I don't want a holstered gun pointing at my foot.  I don't care how much faster that is supposed to be.

I ordered it with the holster.  As the time you got a discount.  I learned my lesson with the DAA Alpha-X.  As far as I'm concerned, that absolutely needs the pad also.

15 hours ago, war_material said:

Definitely, and what zzt said. 

I think I have an easy fix though. I'll work on it today and make a thread like my 015 fix. I saw a couple of guys on here say the pad they sell isn't that great

1 hour ago, louu said:

I think I have an easy fix though. I'll work on it today and make a thread like my 015 fix. I saw a couple of guys on here say the pad they sell isn't that great

The pad supports the holster really well but it’s just a little small and does dig in to the thigh a little. I’m going to try to add padding of some kind or maybe something to attach to it to make it bigger.

1 hour ago, louu said:

I guess I have thick skinned thighs. Lol. But I’m interested to see what you come up with.  

20 minutes ago, Sarge said:

The pad supports the holster really well but it’s just a little small and does dig in to the thigh a little. I’m going to try to add padding of some kind or maybe something to attach to it to make it bigger.

I just bought one of these for my CO rig.  I have not tried it yet, but from others on the board they made a significant difference in comfort for long days.

https://www.qoreperformance.com/collections/icevents-kits/products/iceventsaero-holster-pad

Maybe cut the Qore pad and glue it to the holster's support pad.