Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Open Gun holster is Everyone Using


war_material
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

The pad supports the holster really well but it’s just a little small and does dig in to the thigh a little. I’m going to try to add padding of some kind or maybe something to attach to it to make it bigger.

 

The pad can be installed two ways.  I installed it so it sat lower on my leg.  I also used a vertical belt sander to put a much larger radius on the inside bottom edge.   Think of the radius as similar to a 1911 firing pin stop that has been radiused all the way up to the firing pin hole.  That eliminated the digging in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, zzt said:

 

The pad can be installed two ways.  I installed it so it sat lower on my leg.  I also used a vertical belt sander to put a much larger radius on the inside bottom edge.   Think of the radius as similar to a 1911 firing pin stop that has been radiused all the way up to the firing pin hole.  That eliminated the digging in.

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2021 at 5:08 PM, war_material said:

Oh man !  So the thigh pad is seperate but you need it for real?

 

16 hours ago, Posvar said:

I guess I have thick skinned thighs. Lol. But I’m interested to see what you come up with.  

Here you go 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just received the Original/Fin version of the Everglades MRH.  The adjustments are much easier on this one.  It does NOT require a thigh pad.  The magnets seem much stronger than the ones I had on my MRH.  I can put the gun in the holster, unlocked and flip it upside down and it won’t fall out.  I couldn’t do that with my Everglades holster.  No additional fitting required for the Cheely E2 grip.  Shipping from Finland was five days.  
The finish on it isn’t as clean as the Everglades.  It certainly has a more industrial look to it, but it’s pretty kick ass overall.  The release isn’t quite as quick/short as the Safariland 015, but my guns feel way more secure when in the unlocked position and my draw was maybe a tenth slower at first but after a single dry fire session it’s pretty much the same.  

CB9635B1-FA39-4DEB-8505-26A9B4D8F672.jpeg

9F258564-CD26-401F-94AB-9D1D9DFE6D3A.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That holster is nothing like the MRH.  Nor was the MRH patterned after it.  The MRH was patterned after a discontinued holster from a company with two words in the name.  The first word started with a C.  I wish I could remember.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

I just received the Original/Fin version of the Everglades MRH.  The adjustments are much easier on this one.  It does NOT require a thigh pad.  The magnets seem much stronger than the ones I had on my MRH.  I can put the gun in the holster, unlocked and flip it upside down and it won’t fall out.  I couldn’t do that with my Everglades holster.  No additional fitting required for the Cheely E2 grip.  Shipping from Finland was five days.  
The finish on it isn’t as clean as the Everglades.  It certainly has a more industrial look to it, but it’s pretty kick ass overall.  The release isn’t quite as quick/short as the Safariland 015, but my guns feel way more secure when in the unlocked position and my draw was maybe a tenth slower at first but after a single dry fire session it’s pretty much the same.  

CB9635B1-FA39-4DEB-8505-26A9B4D8F672.jpeg

9F258564-CD26-401F-94AB-9D1D9DFE6D3A.jpeg

Industrial look is an understatement! Looks homemade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, zzt said:

That holster is nothing like the MRH.  Nor was the MRH patterned after it.  The MRH was patterned after a discontinued holster from a company with two words in the name.  The first word started with a C.  I wish I could remember.

 

The holster body is virtually identical to the MRH.

 

 

This was Gen one of the SLB, which was designed by Stefan Borgström.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that his middle name starts with L. 

 

The one I just received is Gen 3, and though it may not look to be updated, I can tell you that making adjustments is much easier than the original/MRH, it doesn't require a thigh pad, it's much lighter overall and it was less expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, Posvar said:

I guess I have thick skinned thighs. Lol. But I’m interested to see what you come up with.  

I'm skinny and just about every holster sits right on my hip bone. It's great for helping it from tilting in but not as comfortable as one might like. 

 

 

As for what holster I'll be using starting this season, after I play with my SS gun for the mitten match, and the CO gun this winter for indoor matches, will be the DAA Alpha X again. I bought the barrel support and a new PT insert for it and so far after about 50 draws its working good. Gun is secure, no wiggle at all, and smooth. Fits my LSI outlaw grip perfect. Still going to work on a little bit better thigh (hip bone) pad. But that's not a big deal really. I like it better then the safariland 015 that I used last season. That holster while fast and all just let's the gun wiggle way to much for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Posvar said:

Maybe I’m the odd bird but I’ve owned three of the Everglades MRH (every time I leave open I sell my rig) and all have been perfect. 

 

I'm not intentionally hating on them, I know most people really like them.  For some reason it just wasn't great for me.  When I got the Safariland 015 there was no hesitation or second guessing which one I preferred and the MRH got sold almost immediately.  And with this "updated" version, again it just works.  I honestly don't care how it looks,  functionally (to me) it has more in common with the 015 than the MRH so I prefer this version to the OG.  However, I won't be selling off my 015s just yet or maybe at all since they aren't even making them anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everglades MRH. Tried the Alpha X and didn't like it. Sold that to a buddy who said the alpha x worked a lot better with the muzzle support. I'm so happy with the MRH that I don't want to try anything else.

 

MRH is better with a more rigid belt. I switched to the Lynx belt and it's nicer.

 

I tried the Everglades pad and didn't like it much. Later, I mounted one of these foam pads on the inside of the hanger.

https://darkstargear.com/product/flatpad/

 

That's a way better thigh pad for me than the Everglades one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, parvusimperator said:

Everglades MRH. Tried the Alpha X and didn't like it. Sold that to a buddy who said the alpha x worked a lot better with the muzzle support. I'm so happy with the MRH that I don't want to try anything else.

 

MRH is better with a more rigid belt. I switched to the Lynx belt and it's nicer.

 

I tried the Everglades pad and didn't like it much. Later, I mounted one of these foam pads on the inside of the hanger.

https://darkstargear.com/product/flatpad/

 

That's a way better thigh pad for me than the Everglades one.

How did you mount the holster to the lynx belt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Posvar said:

How did you mount the holster to the lynx belt?

I unscrewed the mounting brackets, put it about where I wanted it, attached the brackets, shifted it around a little, and then tightened the brackets down over the joints between two links, like DAA recommends. It fits great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...