Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Open Gun holster is Everyone Using

war_material

Hello Everyone! 

I am making a push to Open and I just ordered a ready cut Akai in 9mm Major.    I dabbled in Open before with an STI trubor that kept jamming, I used a Double Alpha holster.  That was a few years ago so I was wondering what holster would you current Open division shooters recommend.  Thanks!  Can't wait for my first custom open gun to get here!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with a Double Alpha if you can get a locking block to work perfectly.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of variation in trigger guard size. Two plus years ago I got tired of changing locking blocks every time I changed guns.  Geez, even my backup Open gun would not work with the block used for my main gun.  I switched to an Everglades MRH and never looked back.  It works with all of my Open guns, including my custom 1911 Open.  It has a square trigger guard, so it works just as well as a 2011.

I am not a fan of GR or CR.  Stick with either the DAA or MRH.

1 hour ago, Kema said:

Everglades copied other company design and sell it as their own. Never support those ppl.

Sounds like an interesting backstory but there is no denying the MRH is the best holster I have used. By far.

CR Speed WSM2.

Have both AA and Suomiase (what y'all call Everglades). My 2011 is super loose in both AA and Suomi. I'm putting it down to the metal grip having thinner trigger guard.

Settled on CR because a) I can get the best grip on the gun with it, and b) we do a bunch of seated starts and the muzzle support gives me warm fuzzies 🙂

Edited by zdali

5 hours ago, Kema said:

Everglades copied other company design and sell it as their own.

The original was discontinued.  I saw a couple at a match and tried high and low to find one.  No luck.  Steve was asked by several shooters if he would consider making them.  After a bit he said yes.  It was only after he made them the original mfg. came out with Gen 2.

BYW, SLB Gen3 IPSC Holster is not what they were sold under in the USA.  The original may have been available in Europe, but not here.

Using the safariland 015 currently. I like it a lot but my gun has the LSI LSI grip and its pretty loose fitting in it. And the bottom will dig into your thigh. Also safariland discontinued it. 

Messing around with the DAA Alpha X again and will probably pick up a GHOST as well.