Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now that we have magnets, 4 or 5 pouches in Production?

rowdyb

depends. if you never ran 5 full pouches plus a start mag, then you're probably fine getting rid of one.

My ss rig has always had 6 pouches. I still sometimes bring a 7th mag to the line in my pocket to start with. In general I prefer to have at least 1 more magazine than I can imagine actually using. If you had 5 discreet positions of minimum 6 rounds each, would you still have an emergency spare?

Leave the five on.  It can't hurt.  I run three pouches and a magnet in Open.  I always start with three full mags on the belt, even though I'll only need a max of one reload.  The third is there in case I ever fumble a reload.  I do use all three for back to back Classifiers in the same bay, or those with three strings and a mandatory reload in each.  The magnet is there for unloaded table top starts where all mags used must be on the table or barrels.

I think it's still smarter to run 5 in USPSA for more stability for the first mag you grab.

At '21 CO nats a woman in my squad was running DAA bullets out magnets for all 3 of her spare CZ mags loaded to 23 rounds and stayed static to her belt.

I still have yet to find a magnet strong enough to hold OEM Glock mags in a static spot, extended and production length fully loaded. Most magnets are rated for 100-150# pull force which has proven to work very well for bare metal mags. I'll probably buy some fishing magnets rated for 200, 245, and 300 to test on OEM Glock mags.

1 hour ago, TheChewycookie said:

I think it's still smarter to run 5 in USPSA for more stability for the first mag you grab.

At '21 CO nats a woman in my squad was running DAA bullets out magnets for all 3 of her spare CZ mags loaded to 23 rounds and stayed static to her belt.

I still have yet to find a magnet strong enough to hold OEM Glock mags in a static spot, extended and production length fully loaded. Most magnets are rated for 100-150# pull force which has proven to work very well for bare metal mags. I'll probably buy some fishing magnets rated for 200, 245, and 300 to test on OEM Glock mags.

I have one of these, and although I've never tried it with a Glock mag, they are super strong. 87kg = 191lbs

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-magnet-for-race-master-pouch

Of late I go to the line w 4 pouches w 10rnds in each mag and an 11rnd in my pocket for make ready.

Previously I went to the line w 5 pouches w five 10rnd mags in them and an 11 in a pocket for make ready.

I have gone to that 5th mag (actually a 6th) maybe 4 times in 7 years....

Currently I only use the magnet to hold a partial mag after unloading or to put a mag off a barrel onto my belt.

I just haven't seen stage design lately (years) where I had a planned 5th reload.

4 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Of late I go to the line w 4 pouches w 10rnds in each mag and an 11rnd in my pocket for make ready.

Previously I went to the line w 5 pouches w five 10rnd mags in them and an 11 in a pocket for make ready.

Currently I only use the magnet to hold a partial mag after unloading or to put a mag off a barrel onto my belt.

I just haven't seen stage design lately (years) where I had a planned 5th reload.

I also go to the line with 6 mags. Although I've never needed to go to the 6th mag on a plan, I have dropped a mag during a reload and needed it.

I agree with leave the 5 on. It doesn't hurt. You never know when you have a course of fire where you need 4 mags and then one takes a dump and you need that fifth mag. If you can control the outcome and mitigate a s#!t show why not. What does it hurt. If you are running a short course of fire just carry 3-4 mags for that. 32 round course run all 5. Good question though, I like that you are thinking. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

A more common use for the 5th mag is clearing a malfunction where you drop the mag from the gun, rack the slide and then reload. I used to get some practice doing this in matches with my P226.

In March I added a magnet to my Prod belt for mag-on-table-start stages, plus my usual 4 mag pouches.  At Locap I ended up using the magnet to hold my starter mag instead of carrying it in my pocket like I usually do.  At a sectional this year, due to proliferation of 6 shot arrays on one of the long courses, I think I brought one more mag to the line for 5 on the belt and one in the gun.  But 99% of the time I get by with 4 + 1 mags.     

5 minutes ago, 2MoreChains said:

In March I added a magnet to my Prod belt for mag-on-table-start stages, plus my usual 4 mag pouches.  At Locap I ended up using the magnet to hold my starter mag instead of carrying it in my pocket like I usually do.  At a sectional this year, due to proliferation of 6 shot arrays on one of the long courses, I think I brought one more mag to the line for 5 on the belt and one in the gun.  But 99% of the time I get by with 4 + 1 mags.     

So you think of the magnet like a 5th pouch? Did you have 4 in pouches and one on the magnet for 5 on belt plus one in gun?

I also prefer the magnet on the belt instead of on a pouch.  I use the large DAA magnet.  That sucker is super strong.  I put the DAA cover on it and it is still strong enough to securely hold a big stick with 29 rounds loaded.

Im an Australian IPSC guy (10 rnd mags here) and I have 5 pouches and a magnet on my first pouch and i use another pouch at 4 o'clock for my load mag, usually load the gun then put it back in the pouch and seat a full mag. just my routine now even on a 9 round CoF I'll do the same. Have done so for quite a few years now and do similar for Classic with 6 pouches and magnet on no1. 

For a 10 round division, the worst case scenario is a stage that breaks down into 6 round positions. If the positions only had 5 rounds, you could just shoot 2 positions with the same mag. For a 32 round stage with 6 round positions, you'll need 5 mags. If it's an empty start, you'll need those 5 mags on your belt. I generally like an extra mag left on my belt for emergencies, so I bring a Barney mag to the line as well.

With magnets, I've moved my Barney mag out of my pocket and onto the magnet. I don't generally reload off the magnet on the clock during a stage that doesn't require it. So for me it's still 5 pouches and a magnet.

For single stack major, this logic works out to 6 pouches plus a magnet.

Number of pouches = 32 / ((capacity / 2)+1)

Edited by PatJones
Spelling

Depends on why?  

I've developed a shoulder issue on the off side and it's a real pain to reach very far back.   So in SS I have 4 DAA facing out & a separate Magnet that I can put 2 on and I can carry one in the pocket.  Production I've gone to 2 DAA facing out and an older Safariland double pouch and the magnet and if needed one in the pocket.  But then I don't shoot either very much.  Mostly Revolver or Limited (for now).

I don't like leaving a mag on the magnet during a Field Course though and I don't like reloading from one, unless I have to.

WIth a normal max of 32 rounds/8 rounds per position (mostly?) That's usually 3 reloads so 4 on the belt and the barney in the pocket gives you 1 easy extra and another OC! in the pocket.  

Now if you go somewhere that likes the really high cap stages???

On 10/22/2021 at 6:53 PM, rowdyb said:

My experience exactly.

For majors I would add a 5th to the belt just for the once in a blue moon need, for locals their is enough junk weighting my pants down already without adding a mag & ammo I do not need. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

7 hours ago, PatJones said:

For a 10 round division, the worst case scenario is a stage that breaks down into 6 round positions.

That is EXCATLY what happens in revo friendly matches.  There are other scenarios where five would be useful.  I watch my Prod shooting buddy come up some weird stage plans just so he only has to reload three times on a long course.  If I shot Prod I'd have five pouches and a mag.

For me, the magnet is for pick ups only. It has no bearing on the number of pouches I use.  5 pouches on the belt, the fifth pouch is the make ready mag, unless something about the stage is a cause for concern then I make ready from a pocket.

The pouches weight next to nothing and if I only need "X" mags(including a "oh crap!" mag) for stage, then that's all I will bring with me.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, rowdyb said:

This, used to run 5 pouches, now 4 with an 11 round in the pocket.  Magnet in front that rarely gets used save for those occasional "unloaded gun, all mags on the barrel" starts.  I even forget to put the empty on it at unload...

I have a DAA on my limited belt and thinking about incorporating one in Production (for off table and show clear) ... but ... I wouldn't dream of using it w/o a cover.

Ever get stuck to the plate when re-setting a knock down ??

Belt jumping to a truck bumper in the parking lot (and the owner wondering what you are doing to his vehicle)??!? 🙄

I have a DAA large magnet and a Divtec cover on one belt.  Worth looking into.

I had a spare CR Speed Bracket, added one of these magnets to it and got a second Divtec cover on a second belt

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZT130W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://divtecshop.com/

Edited by vluc

2 hours ago, pete627 said:

Belt jumping to a truck bumper in the parking lot (and the owner wondering what you are doing to his vehicle)??!? 🙄

Or get stuck to a steel safe table.  I always use the DAA cover.  It reduces 'pull' but not so much that it can't retain a fully loaded big stick.  It will even hold two mags.

8 hours ago, pete627 said:

I have a DAA on my limited belt and thinking about incorporating one in Production (for off table and show clear) ... but ... I wouldn't dream of using it w/o a cover.

Cover is a must. I 3d printed a cover and I still will stick to things but it's no longer impossible to break free. Mags don't seem to fall of either but it's just a thin layer of plastic over the magnet.