Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 Timer questions

JD45

Let's start a modern timer thread.  My question is, what do you consider the top timer for practice today, regardless of price?  And also name the best deal for the money today.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The AMG Commander has many configurable options, configs can be saved to several presets and retrieved, can be used for dryfire, BT interface with Practiscore (the time from the AMG will go over to the scoring tablet) and can be used with Practiscore Log app for training purposes.   It runs forever on 3 AA batts.   

Edited by NETim

Here is a reference page for the Bluetooth timers supported in the PractiScore app for Android. The iOS app is somewhat behind in regards to supported timers.

https://community.practiscore.com/t/bluetooth-timers-supported-in-the-practiscore-app-for-android/208

Similarly, here is the reference page and supported Bluetooth timers for the PractiScore Log app (both Android and iOS)

It is the app to make any supported Bluetooth timer smart and bring your practice to the next level

https://community.practiscore.com/t/practiscore-log-app-info/215

PS: one more timer worth to mention is Competition Electronics ProTimer BT. AKA toss away your Pocket Pro II... :)
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=4082883685108677&id=111535648910187

Edited by euxx

I know it's not the newest coolest thing but I really like the pocket pro 2 because with some of these super quiet pcc's and 22 rifles in steel challenge I can keep an eye out the screen while pointing the mic at the barrel to make sure I get the last shot. 

No recent experience with the newer Bluetooth stuff but when the shotmax watch got started they tried it at a few matches and it added another hour to the day of f*#king with it and if I remember correctly it caused a couple of reshoots. 

25 minutes ago, louu said:

No recent experience with the newer Bluetooth stuff but when the shotmax watch got started they tried it at a few matches and it added another hour to the day of f*#king with it and if I remember correctly it caused a couple of reshoots. 

Making assumptions regarding new Bluetooth-enabled timers based on your past bad experience with the shotmaxx timer make no sense...

The shotmaxx timer WAS a cool kid at the block back then. But its Bluetooth support was half backed, not to mention that product was designed about 10 years ago and a lot of things had changed on both sides - what is available for external devices and what hardware and protocols are supported on the modern tablets and phones.

I know that because I did tried to hook up what has become the PractiScore Log app with the shotmaxx timer back then and experience was not reliable at all. The timer's Bluetooth interface was based on Bluetooth 2 and basically the timer was sending data using audio-encoded like Morse code, which was going trough device DAC and those are all over the map on Android. It was so bad that they disabled Bluetooth in their last firmware update.

A lot had changed since then. Both Android and iOS platform had opened up to enable external devices and device manufacturers now can add BT support for like $5 cost of parts. I've seen Bluetooth support added to some timers in a few weeks time frame. Seriously there are no reasons for any modern timer to not have Bluetooth now.

I'll put another vote in for the AMG Commander. I don't think there's an easier-to-use option out there.

Big advantage for me over the CED 7000 is the replaceable battery. No need to worry about keeping it charged.

11 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I never understood what that function was for. Can you explain when you would use it?

A multi Par Time function allows you to set multiple beeps at different times during the same overall par time. Here is an example. Lets say that you have a drill that is 4.5 seconds long, like shooting the El Presedente. You could setup a multi par to beep every time a sub component of the drill is completed. Such as this... 1st Beep is the Start, 2nd Beep at 1 second to confirm end of draw stroke, 3rd beep at 2.25 seconds to mark the last shot before the reload, 4th beep at 3.25 seconds to mark the completion of the reload and first shot after reload, then 5th beep at 4.50 to mark the last shot of the drill.

Breaking down each element of the drill into its own separate par time beep allows you to figure out which element is taking more or less time in the overall drill.

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

A multi Par Time function allows you to set multiple beeps at different times during the same overall par time. Here is an example. Lets say that you have a drill that is 4.5 seconds long, like shooting the El Presedente. You could setup a multi par to beep every time a sub component of the drill is completed. Such as this... 1st Beep is the Start, 2nd Beep at 1 second to confirm end of draw stroke, 3rd beep at 2.25 seconds to mark the last shot before the reload, 4th beep at 3.25 seconds to mark the completion of the reload and first shot after reload, then 5th beep at 4.50 to mark the last shot of the drill.

Breaking down each element of the drill into its own separate par time beep allows you to figure out which element is taking more or less time in the overall drill.

Thank’s, you explained it better than I would have. 👍

Looking forward to the pocket pro BT version. I prefer the larger screen and belt clip and screen orientation as mentioned before. Just wish it ran on AA batteries and had a longer string time. 3 gun seems to be moving away from the 5 min stages but that is what drove me to get the CED plus the rechargeable battery. Now the screens are going out along with the battery after years of use. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another 👍🏻 For the AMG timer. I waited close to 8 weeks for mine but have been very happy. I like the 3 par times available and it picks up my DA click for draw stroke time. Plus it interfaces with PractiScore and it runs almost forever on 3 AA batteries. 

On 6/17/2021 at 9:28 AM, ziebart said:

...I prefer the larger screen and belt clip and screen orientation as mentioned before...

Hmm... It is always a tradeoff. Though there is an aftermarket timer holder with a belt clip for the AMG timer.

screens.jpg.1fd801bff3f097d752cb3a2eb1481c3f.jpg

I'm a convert to the AMG. I used it this weekend at a major and it is absolutely the wave of the future. I need large numbers and a loud beep and it delivers for both. The only "fault" I found was in the sensitivity settings. I set it on 8 out of 10 to see how it did with quiet PCC's and I still had to get pretty close. When I set it to 10 I had to be very careful to visibly capture the time after last shot fired because it would seemingly pick up wind, clearing the gun etc. It would change several times before range was clear. It even changed from sliding it into my pocket. But that is not a problem if you are doing things right. Excellent timer