Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 Timer questions

JD45

I used the AMG timer at the last Steel Challenge match. It worked excellent but I too had to get a little too close to the rimfire rifle shooters. This design suffers from the same problem as the CED: If the display is pointed at you, the mic is pointed away from the shooter. That is why I prefer the Pocket Pro for quiet guns. You can hold it with the beltclip in your palm, display facing you and the mic facing the shooter. The Practiscore interface is wonderful, especially for multi-string stages like the SC!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

The only "fault" I found was in the sensitivity settings. I set it on 8 out of 10 to see how it did with quiet PCC's and I still had to get pretty close.

On my recently-arrived Commander, 10'll catch dry fire and all the rest won't. Not sure what the best all-purpose setting is yet.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I'm a convert to the AMG. I used it this weekend at a major and it is absolutely the wave of the future. I need large numbers and a loud beep and it delivers for both. The only "fault" I found was in the sensitivity settings. I set it on 8 out of 10 to see how it did with quiet PCC's and I still had to get pretty close. When I set it to 10 I had to be very careful to visibly capture the time after last shot fired because it would seemingly pick up wind, clearing the gun etc. It would change several times before range was clear. It even changed from sliding it into my pocket. But that is not a problem if you are doing things right. Excellent timer

It is better to either hold it facing the shooter or horizontally flat (so, you can see the screen in your peripheral vision and mic is not pointed away.

As an option could also enable BLE push in the system timer menu, then PractiScore app (at lest on Android) will show updates for every shots, so the score keeper could notify the timer RO if timer is picking up all shots.

Also, there is an option in the app to drop the accidental extra shots. See https://community.practiscore.com/t/bluetooth-timers-supported-in-the-practiscore-app-for-android/208#:~:text=You can review received shots

Euxx, thanks for the timer photos really nice to have them next to each other to compare. I made some assumptions on the AMG based on the form factor and assumed it was closer to the CED than it is. 

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

I'm a convert to the AMG. I used it this weekend at a major and it is absolutely the wave of the future. I need large numbers and a loud beep and it delivers for both. The only "fault" I found was in the sensitivity settings. I set it on 8 out of 10 to see how it did with quiet PCC's and I still had to get pretty close. When I set it to 10 I had to be very careful to visibly capture the time after last shot fired because it would seemingly pick up wind, clearing the gun etc. It would change several times before range was clear. It even changed from sliding it into my pocket. But that is not a problem if you are doing things right. Excellent timer

If you press any of the front buttons on an AMG timer it will stop picking up additional shots...  It helps eliminating any future shots from registering...  It's useful when you are runnibg a 22 or PCC in one bay and the shooter in the next bay is shooting an Open gun...  The only possible downside would be if the shooter decided to take another shot after you have pressed one of the buttons to stop picking up any shots.

If you look at the front of an AMG timer, you can see the horizontal bar moving up and down when the timer is actively listening for shots...  Press one of the front buttons and the timer stops scanning for shots...  The bar stops moving...  Kind of like the Cylons in  Battlestar Gallacta...  🙂

1 minute ago, RaylanGivens said:

If you press any of the front buttons on an AMG timer it will stop picking up additional shots...  It helps eliminating any future shots from registering...  It's useful when you are runnibg a 22 or PCC in one bay and the shooter in the next bay is shooting an Open gun...  The only possible downside would be if the shooter decided to take another shot after you have pressed one of the buttons to stop picking up any shots.

If you look at the front of an AMG timer, you can see the horizontal bar moving up and down when the timer is actively listening for shots...  Press one of the front buttons and the timer stops scanning for shots...  The bar stops moving...  Kind of like the Cylons in  Battlestar Gallacta...  🙂

Very good to know! Thanks

17 hours ago, ziebart said:

nice to have them next to each other to compare

The PT one look kinda small in overall on that picture. Here are more like side by side pics

PXL_20210715_162417737.jpg.719bb30171b383a2a1130290102edd3a.jpg  PXL_20210715_162630427.jpg.d149aa9a601213993d0127641af0ff4a.jpg

20 minutes ago, Hdiamond said:

The silicone skin has a lanyard loop so you can clip it with a carabiner or hold it around the neck with the lanyard. 

not what I would have chosen obviously but it works. 

It also drops in a pocket quite easily.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:32 AM, euxx said:

The PT one look kinda small in overall on that picture. Here are more like side by side pics

PXL_20210715_162417737.jpg.719bb30171b383a2a1130290102edd3a.jpg  PXL_20210715_162630427.jpg.d149aa9a601213993d0127641af0ff4a.jpg

Do you happen to know when the Pro Timer BT will be made available to the masses? I went to the Competition Electronics website and its not even listed or mentioned on there.

6 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Do you happen to know when the Pro Timer BT will be made available to the masses? I went to the Competition Electronics website and its not even listed or mentioned on there.

They are working on it. You may have to contact them about release date.

Out of curiosity, what features are you expecting from it that aren't available in other timers?

1 minute ago, euxx said:

Out of curiosity, what features are you expecting from it that aren't available in other timers?

BlueTooth???

Sorry, couldn’t resist. 
:)

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

BlueTooth???

If you haven't noticed, all of the timers on those pictures have Bluetooth support.

So, that was not the question and besides, if I'm not mistaken, @CHA-LEE has had the AMG timer to play with...

4 hours ago, euxx said:

I am obviously interested in the Blue Tooth feature for linkage to scoring tablets. This is primarily for club match use. My club is looking to replace all of our aging shot timers (Currently a mixture of Pocket Pro & Pocket Pro II timers) with blue tooth versions in order to take advantage of that in scoring. Their robust screen, case and use of 9V Battery makes this type of shot timer perfect for club match use were the timers are used by random people and get exposed to unknown rough handling or weather conditions. All of these different type and vintage shot timers we currently have produce different volume and warbling "BEEP" sounds as well which drives me nuts. I want all of the shot timers to produce the same volume, warble and duration of "BEEP" so its a consistent experience for my shooters.

For my personal use, I prefer the physical layout and Menu structure of the Pocket Pro II. Being able to clip it onto my left hand pocket and having the screen facing upwards and buttons facing outwards makes reviewing times, splits, transitions or changing Par time settings fast and efficient.

The features the current Pocket Pro II doesn't have, which I think are important and I regularly use in other timers, is the Multi-Par feature and ability to review historical strings of fire. I use the Multi-Par feature in dry fire regularly on the AMG Commander or CED 7000. I also use the historical strings of fire feature on the CED 7000 once in a while in practice if I am hammering on a quick drill back to back a bunch of times.

Lastly, Competition Electronics is a HUGE supporter of the practical shooting sports. They sponsor a tremendous amount of events every year and their dedication to supporting the general shooting community is awesome. I prefer to support the companies that support the shooting sports. I don't have any official or unofficial partnership or arrangement with Competition Electronics either. I am simply a valued customer that likes to use great products that WORK and recognize the support level specific companies invest into the shooting sports.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:06 AM, ChuckS said:

This design suffers from the same problem as the CED: If the display is pointed at you, the mic is pointed away from the shooter.

We used the AMG at the Sig 2 Gun Nationals.  I found holding the timer in my left or right palm face up with the timer screen towards me and the mic towards the shooter allowed me to hold the timer just above waist level, catch all of the shots on the timer at greater distances than the pocket pro would have allowed due to the sensitivity settings in the AMG and I was able to watch the time on the timer change with each registered shot.   As mentioned above care had to be taken once the shooter was finished to not register any more noises giving a false indication of the final shot.  Noting the time of the final shot mitigated any questions if the timer did advance for whatever reason.  I think one can figure out how to hold the timer to do exactly what you need from it, in its current configuration.  The mic sensitivity is a great addition to any timer.

AMG almost nailed the perfect timer, but I agree a couple of things could have been done different.  

4 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I am obviously interested in the Blue Tooth feature for linkage to scoring tablets. This is primarily for club match use. My club is looking to replace all of our aging shot timers (Currently a mixture of Pocket Pro & Pocket Pro II timers) with blue tooth versions in order to take advantage of that in scoring. Their robust screen, case and use of 9V Battery makes this type of shot timer perfect for club match use were the timers are used by random people and get exposed to unknown rough handling or weather conditions. All of these different type and vintage shot timers we currently have produce different volume and warbling "BEEP" sounds as well which drives me nuts. I want all of the shot timers to produce the same volume, warble and duration of "BEEP" so its a consistent experience for my shooters.

For my personal use, I prefer the physical layout and Menu structure of the Pocket Pro II. Being able to clip it onto my left hand pocket and having the screen facing upwards and buttons facing outwards makes reviewing times, splits, transitions or changing Par time settings fast and efficient.

The features the current Pocket Pro II doesn't have, which I think are important and I regularly use in other timers, is the Multi-Par feature and ability to review historical strings of fire. I use the Multi-Par feature in dry fire regularly on the AMG Commander or CED 7000. I also use the historical strings of fire feature on the CED 7000 once in a while in practice if I am hammering on a quick drill back to back a bunch of times.

Lastly, Competition Electronics is a HUGE supporter of the practical shooting sports. They sponsor a tremendous amount of events every year and their dedication to supporting the general shooting community is awesome. I prefer to support the companies that support the shooting sports. I don't have any official or unofficial partnership or arrangement with Competition Electronics either. I am simply a valued customer that likes to use great products that WORK and recognize the support level specific companies invest into the shooting sports.

Supporting the sport is important to me as well. But if I feel there is a better product out there, that will typically be what I spend my money on.

7 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Being able to clip it onto my left hand pocket and having the screen facing upwards and buttons facing outwards makes reviewing times, splits, transitions or changing Par time settings fast and efficient.

There is an aftermarket holster for AMG that adds clip and a hinge to help to see yhe timer...

7 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

The new PT has multi-par time and some historical review. Though personally I find it's menus hard to use. 

Email me, I will send you a promo key for the PractiScore Log app and would like your feedback on it. Much easier to look at any historical times wit it and it also eliminated a need to look at the timer, as time is spoken back...

On 7/15/2021 at 8:39 PM, Hdiamond said:

Shooters toolbox 3d prints a holder with a belt clip. You can also throw a piece of metal inside the silicone skin and hold it with a magnet. 

I got a Commander early and got one of their belt clips.   I prefer what is mentioned in the above quote.   Just slipping a nice, thin piece of steel inside the silicone skin works very nicely and now that we get to have magnets on our belts, well, there ya go.   It's safe(r) in the silicone skin and detaches/re-attaches to the belt easily with the magnet.