Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 Timer questions

JD45

21 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

As mentioned above care had to be taken once the shooter was finished to not register any more noises giving a false indication of the final shot.  Noting the time of the final shot mitigated any questions if the timer did advance for whatever reason.

@Boomstick303 as it mentioned before, you can stop timer from listening by pressing M or the arrow buttons on the timer.

I also fixed stopping timer from the PractiScore app in the last Android app release. The long tap on the timer menu on the scoring screen opens start/stop/settings menu.

And also you can take out some of the accidental shots/noises from the shot list in the app without manually re-entering time you noted on the timer screen. In the Android app you tap on the "Time" or "String x" label to open the shots view popup. The long tap opens a history of downloaded strings (about 20 last ones), e.g. in case you wanted to restore overwritten time or swap time between stages that were shot back to back.

You can find the manual at https://community.practiscore.com/t/bluetooth-timers-supported-in-the-practiscore-app-for-android/208#:~:text=You can review received shots

The current stage time is shown in bold, usually it’s the last shot. But you can tap on the time to select another shot to be used for stage results. You can also use long tap to delete shot from the list (e.g. when it is obviously look as an echo).

You can also use long-tap on the same time field label to open string history. In case stage time was accidentally overwritten, then tapping on one of the strings will copy string data into the current score.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, euxx said:

@Boomstick303 as it mentioned before, you can stop timer from listening by pressing M or the arrow buttons on the timer.

This is fine, but I had a PCC shooter just the other day inexplicably take a shot 5-7 seconds after giving him the "if you are finished unload and show clear."  While I like the functionality of locking the timer after the "last shot", I prefer to hold the timer behind my back to give the score keeper the time after giving that command.  The AMG with the sensitivity dialed up with the timer positioned behind you back and the mic pointed away from the shooter does not pick up noises from the unloading process but would pick up a shot from a PCC in most instances. 

I believe there is a lot of ills this timer fixes when it comes to shot timers and has covered most of the issues a lot of people want to see in a timer, but you will never please all or the people all of the time.  

42 minutes ago, euxx said:

you can take out some of the accidental shots/noises from the shot list in the app without manually re-entering time you noted on the timer screen. In the Android app you tap on the "Time" or "String x" label to open the shots view popup.

Thank you for letting me know about this functionality.  In the short term not sure how useful it is but if a club were starting to use these as their primary timers, the staff should become well versed in how to do this.  It would save a few reshoots along the way.  It would be a matter of training and proficiency at that point.  

I personally have not had a lot of time with my AMG timer but I intend to change that over the next couple of months.  

AMG labs hands down. 

They just need to produce more timers. Inexplainable how they have the best product but cant make timers. 
Also belt clip. Bought one cheesy molded kydex thing off a guy online (florida I think) for 25 bucks and its done alright 

Given my experience with the pocket pro, the ced 7k and the pact timer. I'd buy the AMG again anyday of the week. And that includes waiting for it to show up

23 hours ago, be032 said:

Anyone actually get an AMG Commander this year?

I gave them money 4 months ago and haven't heard a peep.

Yes, I bought some for our range.

Look under the Contact Us section at the bottom of his web site and send him an email... 

I sent him a message, got the standard copy pasta canned reply, no possible ship dates, where I am in the queue, or anything. I guess he seems reputable enough that I'll just keep waiting.

Edited by be032

On 7/24/2021 at 10:42 PM, be032 said:

Anyone actually get an AMG Commander this year?

I gave them money 4 months ago and haven't heard a peep.

I ordered mine last year. I actually forgot that I ordered it, then after (at least) a few months, I received an email that it had shipped. Patience is the name of the game in this sport.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, Cuz said:

Anyone have any update on the status of the Competition Electronics ProTimer?  I’d love to review a copy of the manual for it before deciding between it and the AMG. 

Thanks. 

What are you hoping to find in the manual?

8 hours ago, euxx said:

What are you hoping to find in the manual?

Umm, why everything about how it works and what it does, and how easy it is to configure and use it the way I will want to in practice.  Downloading and reviewing the manual for products I'm considering is just something I always tend to do.  I learn a lot about a product that I can't get my hands on by reading the manual. 

I'm looking for a timer to use during practice (because, for some reason, 4 currently isn't enough).  I already have several timers that I use now:

PACT Club Timer,

PocketPro II

CED 8000

CED 7000

But, out of the above list, we really only still use the PocketPro and CED7000, which coincidentally are the same shape/formats as the 2 new timers I'm considering.

It seems by the way most folks are talking, the AMG Commander is the new leader, but the fact that it only remembers 3 shot strings is very disappointing, and quite frankly annoys me a bit.  Giving it the ability to remember many more shot strings would probably not have added to the cost at all, as I'm sure the timer already has the memory in it.

So, currently, for me anyway, the ProTimer BT may be the clear winner.  I will need to learn more about how it interfaces with the PTLink App, and how the app works.  Like I said, I don't currently plan to use it for matches, it is just for personal use with friends and family when we practice or are just having fun at the range.  We tend to use the CED 7000 most right now because of the shot strings.  If my kids and I are taking turns shooting a plate rack or some other combination, we can each shoot it twice, and then review the shot strings to see how we did, and compare reload times, etc. etc.

And, I checked just before responding here and it looks like Competition Electronics has updated their website since the last time I checked.  They now have info on the ProTimer, including the manual!

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/protimer-bt/

12 minutes ago, euxx said:

There is a belt clip for Commander with a hinge, which addresses that issue

https://shooterstoolbox.com/product/timer-clip-for-amg-lab-commander-timer/

yeah, that might work. Personally, I think they will both have an app to record data on your phone, I’ll need to see what they do. 

Right now, I have a hard time seeing why I would pick the AMG over the ProTimer. Although, neither one seem to be available at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

Umm, why everything about how it works and what it does, and how easy it is to configure and use it the way I will want to in practice.  Downloading and reviewing the manual for products I'm considering is just something I always tend to do.  I learn a lot about a product that I can't get my hands on by reading the manual. 

Fair enough. Though in my experience the manual doesn't really give you a real feeling how easy to operate device.

For the record, I worked with both manufacturers and handled both devices. Eg. the Commander has 7 menus and CE PT one has 14. Clicking trough them all gets really boring.

Also, I'm curious what feeling you've got from the manual in regards to  how easy is to review 50 strings from the CE PT memory? On Commander it is a one button push and you see 3 strings side by side...

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

It seems by the way most folks are talking, the AMG Commander is the new leader, but the fact that it only remembers 3 shot strings is very disappointing, and quite frankly annoys me a bit.  Giving it the ability to remember many more shot strings would probably not have added to the cost at all, as I'm sure the timer already has the memory in it.

Perhaps it is disappointing, but what would you do when your practice session is longer than 50 strings?

Besides, how long can you remember the actual context of those 50 strings? Such as what drill, what shooter, misses/hits, etc...

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

So, currently, for me anyway, the ProTimer BT may be the clear winner.  I will need to learn more about how it interfaces with the PTLink App, and how the app works.  Like I said, I don't currently plan to use it for matches, it is just for personal use with friends and family when we practice or are just having fun at the range.  We tend to use the CED 7000 most right now because of the shot strings.  If my kids and I are taking turns shooting a plate rack or some other combination, we can each shoot it twice, and then review the shot strings to see how we did, and compare reload times, etc. etc.

I've used both Commander and CE PT bluetooth timers for my range practice. No real difference to me. When practicing alone, having timer on a belt magnet or on a barrel nearby worked fine, and with multiple people, absence of the clip is not an issue. Though Commander is a much smaller device, takes less space in the range bag and fits into any pocket.

As for the strings memory... I have the timer connected with the PractiScore Log  app running on my phone for the whole practice duration. I rarely need to review times, because the app announces times verbally, keeps an unlimited log of the strings and allows to annotate individual strings with tags to indicate drills, shooters, firearms and other things, as well as link the scores. It is not a free app, but you only pay for it once and it supports all Bluetooth timers, including Commander, Rangetech, M1A2, CE PT, etc. The app also gives some fancy ways to compare strings and other stuff.

10 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Right now, I have a hard time seeing why I would pick the AMG over the ProTimer. Although, neither one seem to be available at the moment. 

To be fair, the Commander one doesn't have its own "free" app, though it is available, it's just you'd have to wait 8..10 weeks with the current shortage of the electronic components. The sooner you order the sooner you get it.

Also Commander been on the market for over two years now and with the other timers you betting on the manufacturer's reputation.

I pre-ordered one of the first AMG Commanders when Alex was initially promoting the timer, November 2018.  My order number was #1005.

It arrived a few weeks later. It has performed flawlessly ever since. 

I recently contacted Alex to ask a quick question about the pickup of my trigger press for my G19 in dry practice at the highest sensitivity setting, and as to the type of battery he recommended to use. To my surprise, Alex asked me if I would not mind sending it to him to verify operation. He sent me a pre-paid shipping label for the return. Mine was one of the first production run and Alex indicated he was curious how it had fared over the almost 24 months of use. Alex set it up on the bench, and ensured it was running to specification. He also refurbed the case and polished the keys, and then shipped it back to me at no charge. Not only that, but he shipped it with a few extras including a very snazzy brand-new silicone carrying case.

I genuinely appreciated his follow through and support on this. I was blown away by the Customer Service and how he stands behind his product. Covering shipment both ways as well as a complete bench verification and cosmetic overhaul, completely free of charge, on an almost two-year old item, was totally unexpected. The included swag and the red case is perfect, absolutely perfect.

I am extremely satisfied with mine.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:56 PM, Llando88 said:

I am extremely satisfied with mine.

I'm at 14 weeks and nothing. 2 unanswered emails. I know it's a great product at the end of the day but the lack of communication is frustrating.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:47 PM, euxx said:

To be fair, the Commander one doesn't have its own "free" app, though it is available, it's just you'd have to wait 8..10 weeks with the current shortage of the electronic components. The sooner you order the sooner you get it.

Also Commander been on the market for over two years now and with the other timers you betting on the manufacturer's reputation.

Apparently I will need to do more research and (hopefully) pay more attention when I get to use the AMG at an upcoming match. 

I do agree that the fact that a timer has a feature doesn’t mean much if it’s not easy to use. Shifting through the strings on the CED timers is very easy because of the extra buttons. The AMG seems like it is easy, but you only get 3 strings. Having 50 on the ProTimer won’t be much use if they are not easy to get to. 

Now I wish I’d played around with the AMG more when I was using it a couple months ago in a match.