Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How has your belt config changed with the new USPSA rules?

uhmeebuh

Was watching Joe Farewell with his holster more forward of his hip bone for 3-gun and, with the new USPSA rules around holster and mag placement, I decided to experiment a bit (but less than in college 😄 )

So, I tried the holster much more forward....and it was odd at first but I really ended up liking it and my times are about the same (maybe a bit faster).  The grip is now where my right hand falls and so is the first mag pouch.  

So, what have you changed (if anything)?

I moved both my holster and first mag pouch forward to approximately over the point of the hip bones. Then I added a bullets out magnet with the right edge of the pouch mount in line with the left edge of my fly. 

I also threw a Divtec magnet between that bullets out magnet and the holster to hold my shot timer. 

Mine didn't change much.  All mag pouches were moved CW (I'm right handed) to where the first one is about an inch in front of the hip bone.  Added a magnet to that same front pouch.

Holster stays where it's always been: right at the seam of my trousers where my hand naturally goes by as I lift it up.

Having spent a lot of time in Limited and a little in open, now in CO. I moved my mag pouches forward to where they are on my limited rig. It doesn't make me any faster, but it's a little less tiring on my shoulder in dry fire. My holster stayed right where it was. But even in limited my holster was the same as a production rig.

As you move your gun forward, remember to be aware of the 180 on the draw. As soon as the gun pops from the holster even though it's pointing down you're now restricted by the 180. I have seen open guys get bit by this, an example would be a right handed shooter with the first target off to the left. If you start facing the target the instant the gun pops from the holster you're DQ'd. At a major there will probably be a guy who's job it is to watch for just that. 

edit....I added a magnet too obviously. They are essentially mandatory now.

Edited by Racinready300ex

Holster is in the same spot, mags moved forward a bit.  Haven't added a magnet, but never used one in limited either, maybe I will buy one now

Had shot Open division for 20+ years and am now in CO so moved EVERYTHING to where the Open rig was setup.  Also added three magnetic mag holders.  Was used to those as there were two already on the PCC rig.

BC

I slid all my mags forward about 6 inches or so, and canted them a bit. I’m still experimenting, so I may add a magnet somewhere, just because. 

Moved my mags forward just so the back ones would be easier to reach. Playing with the holster position a bit in dry fire drills, seeing if moving it forward just a little helps me get a better grip faster.

Thought I'd change mine all to my Open configuration but after some dryfiring and figuring out my indexes my belts are similar to my duty rig now. Two pouches in front of hip bone and straight up for consistency. 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:14 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Having spent a lot of time in Limited and a little in open, now in CO. I moved my mag pouches forward to where they are on my limited rig. It doesn't make me any faster, but it's a little less tiring on my shoulder in dry fire. My holster stayed right where it was. But even in limited my holster was the same as a production rig.

As you move your gun forward, remember to be aware of the 180 on the draw. As soon as the gun pops from the holster even though it's pointing down you're now restricted by the 180. I have seen open guys get bit by this, an example would be a right handed shooter with the first target off to the left. If you start facing the target the instant the gun pops from the holster you're DQ'd. At a major there will probably be a guy who's job it is to watch for just that. 

Thanks for the other consideration - I hadn’t thought about the 180.  Do you know where/how it is defunded?  From the draw?  From position to the range?

13 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

Thanks for the other consideration - I hadn’t thought about the 180.  Do you know where/how it is defunded?  From the draw?  From position to the range?

The 180 is always defined as something centered straight down the bay, parallel to the rear wall.

The position of the gun at the start doesn’t matter. Keeping the gun at least 90 degrees away from the spectators behind you is what matters. Protecting them and the match staff is the purpose of the rule. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

34 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The 180 is always defined as something centered straight down the bay, parallel to the rear wall.

The position of the gun at the start doesn’t matter. Keeping the gun at least 90 degrees away from the spectators behind you is what matters. Protecting them and the match staff is the purpose of the rule. ;) 

Thank you!  I assumed it was something like that but didn’t recall seeing the definition in the rule book.  

So, you really have to have your holster really in the middle to risk a 180 violation (at least from what I’ve seen on myself).  I have mine moved to in front of my femur and it doesn’t seem to come close to the 180 demarcation.  

Haven't changed much, maybe moved the holster and mag pouches a bit forward. Biggest thing is you no longer need to be concerned about someone's definition of the line intersecting the hip bones as you once did.  And at some point, I'll probably be adding magnetic pouches. Or not...

On 5/6/2021 at 6:14 AM, Racinready300ex said:

this is a good point. there was at least 1 dq at nationals for exactly that thing. OTOH, if you put it forward a bit, it's easier to lay on your side for that rare prone position.

fwiw, i'm not convinced a magnet is mandatory. I haven't seen a single one of those stupid 'all mags on barrel' starts at any match I've done since 2018 or 2019. I think most people out west have figured out that it's a stupid way to start, adds absolutely nothing worthwhile to a stage  and is an annoying and unfair advantage to your buddy's hi-cap division when it comes to the informal bench racing.  Now I don't really mind if the start is 'all mags on barrels (plural)' with numerous barrels placed around the stage..... that is fun a couple times a year, but having to stow magazines on the clock is 100% retarded.

so I still don't run a magnet (don't run one in limited either, but I have one somewhere I can put on if I go to a major that has a stupid start), but I did move my SS mag pouches forward about 1/2". Now the 3rd one is just as fast as the first two and the 4th one is about a tenth slower. If I go any further forward, i have to think too hard about the difference between the first two. right now I use the same hand motion, and just keep going back until I find a mag.

Edited by motosapiens

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

this is a good point. there was at least 1 dq at nationals for exactly that thing. OTOH, if you put it forward a bit, it's easier to lay on your side for that rare prone position.

fwiw, i'm not convinced a magnet is mandatory. I haven't seen a single one of those stupid 'all mags on barrel' starts at any match I've done since 2018 or 2019. I think most people out west have figured out that it's a stupid way to start, adds absolutely nothing worthwhile to a stage  and is an annoying and unfair advantage to your buddy's hi-cap division when it comes to the informal bench racing.  Now I don't really mind if the start is 'all mags on barrels (plural)' with numerous barrels placed around the stage..... that is fun a couple times a year, but having to stow magazines on the clock is 100% retarded.

I don't see those stages often either but I do see them. I remember a Area match that had one and talking to a vendor he had sold every magnet he brought with him and wished he'd brought more. And that was back when most divisions couldn't use them.....hmm this gives me a idea. 

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

fwiw, i'm not convinced a magnet is mandatory. I haven't seen a single one of those stupid 'all mags on barrel' starts at any match I've done since 2018 or 2019.

Why don't you add the qualifier "for me" to everything you say?

I just came from a level 2 match two weeks ago and guess what?  One of the stages was one of those "stupid all mags on barrels" starts.  And not wasting time fishing for a mag pouch was definitely an advantage.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

21 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Why don't you add the qualifier "for me" to everything you say?

I believe the post you quoted does specifically talk about what 'I' have experienced, Nonetheless, it can be assumed that my opinions are not intended to be in reference to Eleanor f**ing  Roosevelt.

I'm sorry matches near you do stupid stages.

26 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I believe the post you quoted does specifically talk about what 'I' have experienced, Nonetheless, it can be assumed that my opinions are not intended to be in reference to Eleanor f**ing  Roosevelt.

I'm sorry matches near you do stupid stages.

Now I have the image of Eleanor (f**ing) Roosevelt all gussied up in a USPSA Single Stack rig, waiting on the start signal stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

• 2 weeks later...

For my SS rig it was a blessing. I'm skinny and thus all mags were basicly behind me. Now it's set up like my limited rig. Gun at left just forward of hip bone, first mag canted and about 2" from center line on right side. First two pouches are magnetic SS ones from DAA. love them BTW. Ran this setup at locap nats and loved it. The two magnet pouches are very nice. 

18 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

For my SS rig it was a blessing. I'm skinny and thus all mags were basicly behind me. Now it's set up like my limited rig. Gun at left just forward of hip bone, first mag canted and about 2" from center line on right side. First two pouches are magnetic SS ones from DAA. love them BTW. Ran this setup at locap nats and loved it. The two magnet pouches are very nice. 

Yeah, shooting Single Stack, one of the few areas in life where being "full figured" is a plus.