Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation for a 9mm PCC

I am getting older and I have wanted to try PCC for the past few years.  I do have a CX-4 Storm carbine in 40 cal that I thought I could use to try the division but I am told there are no Mags that hold more than 12 rounds. So with out spending over 800.00 is there any carbines ready made or components you can recommend.

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

Ruger PC Cabine. Otherwise it’ll be difficult to find something at that price range 

This..  I’ve seen several of these in matches that just seem to run without issues.  For your price range,  anything else could just be buying someone else’s problem child.  

I bought 2 ATI Milsports over the last 4 years. They were under the $800, don't remember the exact price. They have ran great with over 15k through each of them. With only one broken firing pin. I do change them after about 5k rounds now. 

Another vote for the Ruger PC Carbine.  Even in AR wanna-be format the MSRP is under $800 and in more conventional rifle format they are $650.  Street price should be somewhat less.  They take Glock magazines which are available in Glock factory form with up to 33 rounds and the sky's the limit with aftermarket extenders.   Mine has been both reliable and fun to shoot.

I see a lot of Rugers at SCSA matches.  They all seem very reliable.  Aside from being heavy, the only complaint I've heard is they are s PITA to disassemble and clean.  A friend uses his Ruger PCC in 3-gun matches.  He literally throws the gun into barrels on a stage.  I has held up just fine.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, zzt said:

......the only complaint I've heard is they are s PITA to disassemble and clean.  

Actually, they aren't that bad.  The take-down feature makes the barrel really easy to clean from the chamber end and the receiver comes out of the stock with a 5/32" allen key. A small punch removes the trigger group and the bolt comes out with no tools.  Then everything is accessible for cleaning and reassembly.  They are more "fiddly" than an AR-type PCC but not that much.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, Texaspaul said:

Build one - just need to find the parts - LOL - FM products would be in that price range to get started 

I can 2nd the Foxtrot Mike stuff, that got me started and you can still probably get one together for $800 (if you can round up all the parts in these crazy times). You could've put one together for ~$600 this time last year pre-Covid 😞

If you're diligent, and a little lucky these days, you can probably score their lower from one of the online places that carry them, and their 16" uppers should be out there too because the mall-ninjas only want the shorty pistol ones...  

I run a fairly pricey PCC now and dig it, but all BS aside: a Hiperfire in an FM rig is nothing to sneeze at and can get it done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 3:40 PM, zzt said:

I see a lot of Rugers at SCSA matches.  They all seem very reliable.  Aside from being heavy, the only complaint I've heard is they are s PITA to disassemble and clean.  A friend uses his Ruger PCC in 3-gun matches.  He literally throws the gun into barrels on a stage.  I has held up just fine.

With the Tandemkross Upriser (straight model, not the bent one) and Taccom carbon fiber handguard, my Ruger is 6 lbs 8 oz. with optic and riser.. Within an ounce of my two AR9s, which are neither light or heavy. The handguard moves the weight bias further back, which is nice, but the ARs are shorter, and feel better when shooting. The Ruger has a better trigger, but that's just cause I didn't want to spend $300.00 twice for triggers.

Like others have mentioned I've had really good luck with my FM products with the 16" upper on it, I enjoy shooting the AR style a lot more than the rifle style of the ruger carbine (though both have run flawlessly for me). Brownells/Primary Arms generally has the upper and lowers in stock, I bought them seperate to keep right at $700.

39 minutes ago, JDalton203 said:

Like others have mentioned I've had really good luck with my FM products with the 16" upper on it, I enjoy shooting the AR style a lot more than the rifle style of the ruger carbine (though both have run flawlessly for me). Brownells/Primary Arms generally has the upper and lowers in stock, I bought them seperate to keep right at $700.

The Ruger can be made very AR15esque, in my opinion its fatal flaw is the location of the mag catch, and the fact that you have to pull the bolt handle to reload after LRBHO (though the latter is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's a side-charger).

The Tandemkross Upriser (the straight one, the bent one is too ugly for my tastes) solves the "not an AR15" issue pretty well, and also addresses the mag catch. Throw on a light weight buttstock and Taccom carbon fiber handguard and you're right at about 6.5 lbs, which is reasonable.

It's nice that the Rugers have a good reputation for reliability, so all you have to do after making it a lighter, more AR15ish gun is put a magazine in and start shooting. Now if Taccom would come out with a 13"/16" or 10"/16" barrel for them, life would be good. 

5 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

Availability of functioning Colt mags may be a problem.

BC

I've had less issues getting Colt mags with TF extensions to work in my Spikes Tactical PCC gun than I did getting Glock mags to work in my NFA clone. It prefers the Colt mags with steel followers. ASC Colt mags are the only ones I've had that need to be messed with to work. 

Admittedly, it's much easier to get a Glock mag gun working now with Taccom and other ramped barrels, and JP Rifles always worked (but JP Rifles are not cheap), but Colt mag guns are in my experience at least as reliable, and in earlier guns before ramped barrels, easier to get working. And if it matters to you, Colt mag guns have a more reliable LRBHO.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, gunner40sw said:

I am getting older and I have wanted to try PCC for the past few years.  I do have a CX-4 Storm carbine in 40 cal that I thought I could use to try the division but I am told there are no Mags that hold more than 12 rounds. So with out spending over 800.00 is there any carbines ready made or components you can recommend.

Beretta mags?