Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sous Vide cooking

I have an Anova  (KindaLikeThis).  Did a pork rib roast over the weekend and it turned out great.  I didn't have much luck with chicken or fish, but beef and pork comes out great and consistently perfectly done throughout.  Finish over the barbecue, stove, or oven and enjoy.

Highly recommend one of the Rubbermaid container and top for more efficient and longer cook cycles.  (Container)

Edited by SnipTheDog

I have an Anova as well.  Works great for Chicken.  It works well for steak too, but I've never really had a problem cooking steak how I like it.

I've done ribs for 48 hours too and it works great.  You really can't go wrong it really is set it and forget it.

For the long cooks, I'll use an older igloo cooler.

I also bought a torch to finish things off after wards.

So far I've done steak several times now. The thinner steaks I think I did to long, but nice thick Ribeye comes out at a perfect med rare ever time. I really want to try a whole prime rib in it one of these days.

I've done pork loin a few times now, a couple roasts that came out really well. I typically don't care much for roasts but these were good. I did some ribs once for like 24 hours. You could just pull the bones out, super easy to cook. 

Some times I'll sear on a grill, or in a cast iron pan or with a torch. Kinda depends how big it is or what I feel like doing. 

I used that method for cooking pork belly marinated in soy sauce and mirin when preparing authentic Japanese ramen. After it’s cooked, I put in the fridge to make it easier to slice. I then put that sliced pork on my flat top to brown and use it as a topping for my homemade ramen in addition to a soft-boiled egg.

8 hours ago, George16 said:

I used that method for cooking pork belly marinated in soy sauce and mirin when preparing authentic Japanese ramen. After it’s cooked, I put in the fridge to make it easier to slice. I then put that sliced pork on my flat top to brown and use it as a topping for my homemade ramen in addition to a soft-boiled egg.

I need to eat ramen with you

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I need to eat ramen with you

Rowdy, come over to Jax and have some authentic Japanese. It’s the best thing I learned after being stationed in Japan for six years. I also use homemade egg noodles for authenticity. 

It takes a day and a half just to prepare the broth but it’s totally worth it.

22 hours ago, George16 said:

Rowdy, come over to Jax and have some authentic Japanese. It’s the best thing I learned after being stationed in Japan for six years. I also use homemade egg noodles for authenticity. 

The next time I go to Florida I am going to add on an extra day just to eat ramen with you!!

On 12/22/2020 at 5:39 AM, Racinready300ex said:

So far I've done steak several times now. The thinner steaks I think I did to long, but nice thick Ribeye comes out at a perfect med rare ever time. I really want to try a whole prime rib in it one of these days.

The thicker cuts is really where the sous vide shines.  Normally if you have a 1.5" thick ribeye, you have to grill that a long time to get the steak consistently done in the middle.  By that time, you have a well done outer portion of the steak and a rare inside.  With sous vide, it's all at a perfect 132F and you're ready to finish as you like.

Don't we ingest enough micro-plastics as it is? Not like the government is looking out for you here, unless people keel over immediately there's no concern what happens to our kids who eat off plastic with plastic utensils slicing and grinding food cooked and stored in plastic. I simply notice today's kids have more asthma, allergies, autism, etc. 

I have an Anova, been using it for the last year. It is truly amazing.

Steak, Pork loin, Shrimp, fish, Chicken all fantastic.

I bought a little grate that fits over my charcoal chimney. I fill it half way with charcoal and sear using it.

You get perfect temp food, no more drying out.

You can also cook food at lower temps to pasteurize the meat and get it really juicy.

Shrimp never tasted better.

I buy a pork loin and cut it into 2 pound chunks, cook it for 3 hours at 135ish. Then sear. You will be amazed at how flavorful and juicy it turns out. So easy too.

Don't wait.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:16 PM, George16 said:

Sounds tasty. The newt cow we buy we are going to keep the bones for ramen broth. Started making our own this past summer. I prefer smoked pork belly in it but that's just because we smoke everything.

9 hours ago, Frankly said:

Don't we ingest enough micro-plastics as it is? Not like the government is looking out for you here, unless people keel over immediately there's no concern what happens to our kids who eat off plastic with plastic utensils slicing and grinding food cooked and stored in plastic. I simply notice today's kids have more asthma, allergies, autism, etc. 

I think that there's more micro-plastics in cosmetics and bath products than what's given off in an 132F bath, but I'm no scientist.  Regarding autism, I would think that's due to us having kids later in life where the quality of the sperm and the eggs are not what they once used to be.  But once again, I'm talking out my ear.

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Sounds tasty. The newt cow we buy we are going to keep the bones for ramen broth. Started making our own this past summer. I prefer smoked pork belly in it but that's just because we smoke everything.

It is. However, the Japanese doesn’t really use beef bones for their ramen broth. They use chicken bones, carcass and feet along with thinly-shaved smoked tuna for additional flavoring.

I was really surprised to find out about this. My local Japanese friends said chicken gives a deeper and “sweeter” flavor compared to beef. I use both 😆.

We used to go to a ramen house right outside the main gate of Yokosuka Naval base for some good tasting and cheap ($5-7 a bowl depending on the $-¥ exchange rate. It’s the perfect food to have after a night of drinking.

10 hours ago, Frankly said:

I think a lot of the asthma and allergies are more from city living and OCD parents who won't let their kids get out and play where they might get dirty.  If kids don't get exposed to allergens early, they don't build up any resistance.  I have two nieces, one from my brother, one from my sister.  Both had a mild reaction to peanut butter as very young children.  My sister kept feeding her daughter small amounts of peanut butter, my brother's wife went full OCD, nothing with peanuts in the house.  Guess which one is deathly allergic to peanuts today.  My sister later told me I had the same reaction to peanut butter when I was little and our mother kept feeding me peanut butter, mostly because it glued my mouth shut and I couldn't talk while eating it.

I don't know anything about autism and micro plastics, but there are 162 words and 890 characters, including spaces in this post.

Have had ours just about two years and love it. I picked up a food service tub with a lid and modified the lid to go around the unit. Makes the best chicken breast for either hot or cold salads. Steaks are always perfect as are pork chops.  Have taken peeled beef knuckles, injected them, sear them and cook for 15-18 hrs. Cool then slice for roast beef sandwiches. First one I cooked for 20 hrs and it got a little mushy/mealy so you can over do it. For large cuts like whole prime rib I’ve heard of guys using a ice chest for a container. 

Edited by Farmer

I have the Tribest Sousvant sous vide cooker with it's own water bath container https://tribest.com/products/sousvant-sv-101-b.  Just did a 5.5 lb standing rib roast in it last weekend.  Created a rub of Grey Poupon mustard, garlic, pepper, salt, onion powder & Worcestershire sauce.  Baked in a 500 degree oven for 20 min to get a deep brown sear then into the sous vide at 131 degrees for 6 hours.  Another rub and back in the 500 degree oven for 15 min for a final sear.  Came out perfect, somewhere between rare and medium rare.  I like it rare enough that a good vet can bring it back to life but my wife prefers medium rare hence the compromise!  

FWIW, if I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy the Tribest circulator again.  It works great and is nice to have a dedicated water bath but it takes up a lot of room on the counter.  I think a Joule used with a large pot would work just as well, cost a lot less and store in a drawer.  But, if you've got the room and don't mind the extra cost, the Tribest is the Porsche of sous vide cooking!

6 minutes ago, vluc said:

Anova, also have an Iwatani butane torch to add that sear to it.  Like it better than a skillet or grill.

This is the same brand I have. My wife doesn’t like how it uses a lot of electricity since it’s 1000 watts of cooking power 😆 .

I have a small Coleman propane torch from Home Depot I use in making creme brûlée.