Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying from Optics Planet?

lfine

Anyone having a good experience buying ammo from them? I tried placing a few orders with them only to have a few days or weeks turn into a few months on products that went up in price since my ordering.  Luckily I was bale to cancel and now I'm wary of even ordering anything that reads in stock. And no,this does not just seem to be a simple "global pandemic" issue. Hope I'm wrong and someone here will correct me. - And if this is inappropriate or in te wrong place, sorry, feel free to move or delete.

Years ago, they were fine.  If it showed as in stock, it would ship within a week and you'd get it in decent time.  Amazon has definitely changed our expectation on shipping/receiving though.

Now, even if it shows as in stock, they still don't usually ship for weeks.  I won't order from them anymore.  I suppose, if you really don't care about when it comes in, then it's ok.  They are a reputable site, but definitely use their logistics algorithms to minimize their costs for shipping and distribution, and that results in slow shipping.

I had a bad experience with them. The item says in stock but after almost two weeks, they still have to ship it. When I contacted them, they said the item is out of stock and is back ordered. I told them to cancel my order but they balked so I had to contact my cc company and got them involved.

Just buy ammo from trusted companies like target sports or Cabelas for that matter. You can also use ammoseek.com to check for availability of the ammo you need.

It is hit and miss.  Some items they show in stock are not and others are.  I have waited a few weeks for some orders, and others come within a week.  I have also had them cancel orders even though they say it is in stock.  As others have said, they were better years ago.

Have not bought ammo from them but was hit and miss on other items.  Sometimes its quick, sometimes it takes forever.  Seems they have an established MO when it comes to customer support too as per the comments here..  I tried to cancel an order that took forever - and I forgot the rep's flippant response.. it was something along the lines of "Gimme a break", "Whats your problem", or "You're going to regret it..."  Responded with an intent to do a chargeback and that was that.

Never went back ever since.

Just be aware of the risks involved with ordering from them.  If you are willing to wait then it may be worth it.

Edited by Sniperboy

I tried to buy a stripped upper receiver for a 9mm AR type and they wouldn’t send it to me saying it was a restricted item in my state (it’s not) and then saying my state has restricted mag capacity laws. Don’t know how that applies to a stripped upper.  I still buy from them when they have a really good price but most of the savings is eaten up by their shipping charges. 
 They are not my first choice.

Sadly I agree. I just received a red dot sight from them. The web site said in stock and it was ordered prior to the Thanksgiving deals. Almost immediately I received a ship notice but the product was not released to the postal service for 5 more days. They did cut a label when the ship notice was originally issued. They clearly did not have the product in hand at that time.

My prior experience was ok. This one was not. I won't do it again. 

Black Friday sale.  Sig Romeo3 XL is normally around $600.  Got it for $510.  Ordered 25-Nov-20 and delivered 2-Dec-20 which is not bad considering there were two holiday days in there (Thanksgiving & day after).

BC

1 hour ago, Prange said:

Hit and miss. I've been lucky and haven't had any problems. However, horror stories abound.

Same. I’ve been lucky (just a few slow shipping times) but still regard them as vendor of last resort. 

That's a great company. They were the only company that had the bushnell sight I wanted and was 10 bucks cheaper. The sight was shipped with a plastic insert into the battery slot so the battery was loose in there and th dot kept shutting off everytime I took a shot.  Luckily I just changed out the battery and that fixed the problem optics planet said to just ship it back if i had any problems with it, but luckily the new battery thickness is what fixed the problem so all is well.

Seems like my experience mirrors many of yours. In the past they were fine and buying accessories went fine for me. In the last few months, however, ordering ammo from them just doesn’t work. Delivery times get changed or extended by months when the same items are for sale for earlier delivery at higher cost, etc. Even when they indicate a great price and in-stock ammo I don’t even bother now. Please tell me if I’m wrong - I’d be happy to be corrected and told they’re delivering ammo when promised. And, yes, we all know we’re in the middle of a global pandemic...

I've heard a lot of bad experience with OP but for the most part mine have all been pretty good.  

On 12/2/2020 at 2:31 AM, Brooke said:

Sadly I agree. I just received a red dot sight from them. The web site said in stock and it was ordered prior to the Thanksgiving deals. Almost immediately I received a ship notice but the product was not released to the postal service for 5 more days. They did cut a label when the ship notice was originally issued. They clearly did not have the product in hand at that time.

My prior experience was ok. This one was not. I won't do it again. 

In my experience it's more likely that USPS had the package in their possession for those 5 days but it just sat in their local distribution center until it was scanned as accepted.  

I've been shipping stuff in my ecommerce business through USPS for years and deal with this all the time.  Especially when it's a busy shipping season.  We'll ship an order within one business day and hand it off to USPS but they don't scan it into their system for a week or so and we end up getting an email from a pissed off customer wondering why we still haven't shipped their order.

The USPS tracking system is pretty crappy and is at the mercy of getting that initial acceptance scan.  I've seen instances where an item is shipped and the tracking info doesn't update at all until it was suddenly out for delivery. 

Edited by Michael303

Fedex is always the one that has given me headaches as far as shipping. Matter of fact, I'm going through a claim resolution with them right now. 

Back on topic, I've ordered quite a few packages with OpticsPlanet and everything has shown up quickly and in perfect condition. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, personally. 

Edited by SWoody