Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much torque on Dillon die lock rings?

How tight is “tighten securely”, or “snug the lock ring”?

How much are you supposed to tighten the lock rings to secure the dies in the shell plate? DoesnDillon provide an actual torque value?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, AHI said:

If you are bending the dillon wrench that is to tight. The tork would be 40 to 45 inch pounds.

33 minutes ago, Dwbsig said:

If you have bent the wrench then you are probably over tighten the nut. It’s not hurting anything but it’s not necessary to go anything over snug.

Sorry but I disagree with you guys on both counts. The Dillon wrench is junk. I have to readjust mine fairly often but have switched to a 6 point socket. 

And, Dillon nuts certainly do vibrate loose over time if not kept pretty tight. Many folks put blue loctite on them

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Sorry but I disagree with you guys on both counts. The Dillon wrench is junk. I have to readjust mine fairly often but have switched to a 6 point socket. 

And, Dillon nuts certainly do vibrate loose over time if not kept pretty tight. Many folks put blue loctite on them

That Dillon wrench is garbage and you need to use a real wrench to tighten them enough if you want them to stay tight.  I just set up my 750 and had a heck of a time trying to keep those nuts tight using that Dillon wrench.  I did see a few threads on here discussing this and someone calculated 22lb/ft of tq as a setting but have no idea if that is accurate.  I saw lot of guys using loctite and even double nut them above and below the die to try and keep them tight.  I just used a 1" wrench and snugged them up pretty good and it seems to be working and I do check them often to make sure.

Another issue that others have that I don't. Wonder why. Don't have the original Dillon stamped wrench any more. After changing from the original die rings 1 1/8 to 1in.

My dies don't move. Dies with Redding rings are as tight as I can get them with my bear hand(no tool). Hornady pretty much the same except I use a cut down low torque wrench. For Dillon's 1 in rings I use a Ammo Bot (low torque )wrench. To come up with the 40 to 45inch pound speck. I inserted a Allen socket into the 7/16 end to attach a torque wrench. Then tested just how tight I was tightening the rings.      Again I don't have issues with dies coming loose, oal problems, brass sticking to the powder expander ,or any of the other problems others are constantly having. Why?

I always went finger tight plus a 1/8 turn but one day I loaded 2000 rounds and my crimp die had come loose. Im just glad it was that one so i reset it and reran all rounds through the press with die in an extra head. Since then I tighten with the dillon wrench until it starts rounding the corners of the die nut.

The average peak torque to achieve two finger tightness was 0.25 N-m (std dev = 0.06). The torques ranged from 0.11 to 0.32 N-m among the subjects.

So, if you want to torque the lock ring, use 0.32-0.52 N-m (4.3 in-lb max) to exceed recommendation.

Not sure how much the torque spec really matters as it's not a critical fastener and there's zero chance you're going to stretch the threads or damage anything by overtightening with that tiny wrench.  Just snug it up and check it on occasion.  FWIW, I use the Hornady rings mentioned above and after MANY thousands of rounds, have zero issues with loose dies.   

I've also replaced the Dillon lockrings with Hornady rings for the sizer and seater dies in my 650 and just use the Dillon rings for the powder die, powder check and crimp die.  The Hornady rings let me remove the sizer and seater for cleaning, clearing jams (a 380 case mixed in with the 9 mm, and similar), etc. without losing their depth adjustment.   I've never has them or any of the others loosen spontaneously. 

Edited by SteelCityShooter

It is a tedious trial and error process, but you can drill and tap your 550 and 650/750 toolheads for allen head’ed or allen socket set screws.

that lip or ledge in the toolhead, drill through that into the hole for the die.  Then tap it.

thread in the die.

Insert a piece of lead birdshot into that just drilled/tapped hole.

Thread in the set screw.

The set screw mashes the lead birdshot into the die’s thread.  And that die isn’t going anywhere.

The sucky part is having to slide the toolhead in and out of the press to get the die height correct.

I was real gung ho Hornady’s lock rings, but then I switched over to RCBS lock rings and their wrench.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, Ming the Merciless said:

I used to use the locking pinch type lock rings, but recently went back to the standard Dillon lock rings and the UniqueTek wrench.

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1532

I like that Uniquetek wrench.  It's certainly shorter than my 14" craftsman wrench, and would hopefully prevent me from overtightening and stripping the threads on the nut.