Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Holders For G34 Mags in USPSA?

Flea

I prefer Ghost pouches:

• affordable
  • bullets out or forward orientation
  • angle adjustable
  • good retention on stock G17/34 mags without any fiddling

They are made of plastic and the connecting joint is a weak point. As long as the belt isn't dropped or crushed, then it holds up fine.

I prefer them over the DAA Racer and DAA Alpha-X that I also have. 

9 minutes ago, bun said:

CR Speed Mag Pouches

I run CR speeds for my Glock 34 as well as my XDm. Was able to pick up a few used ones at a great price. People may be looking to change up in the off season so you may see some used pouches hitting the classifieds soon.

2 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

I prefer Ghost pouches:

I prefer them over the DAA Racer and DAA Alpha-X that I also have. 

I replaced Ghost pouches with DAA Racers when I switched from Tanfo to Walther. I would stick with Ghost if I were to do it  again.

Racers lose the spring and spacer if you pull the mag out explosively in just the wrong way - which you’ll do, on the clock. 

Not the most experienced voice here but I will add my $0.02.   I am running 2 CR speed toward the back and 2 DAA racers in the front on a belt set up for production.   I ah e had the CR speeds for several years and picked up the DAAs a few mo this ago after a long, long layoff from USPSA.  I run them Bullets forward on a CR speed belt with G17 with stock mags.

the CR speeds are fine.   One of them lost the tiny little adjustment knob mid match a few months back.   It still had decent retention and I didn’t notice until the next practice session.   it was easy enough to replace.   I keep meaning to Loctite them but I also keep forgetting.  

The DAAs work fine also, but last match, as mentioned above, I popped the leaf spring and spacer out of my most forward mag pouch during a stage.  I noticed as soon as I was back at my bag and slipped the reloaded mag into my pouch.    It rattled around pretty freely as it had basically no retention.   It would have bounced out if I would have jumped up and down or moved aggressively on my next stage.   I was lucky to find the spacer and the spring on the range right where I did my first reload and they popped back in without a problem.    Apart from that, both my DAA pouches have slight bit of play in the connector.  Not enough to impact function but enough to trigger my OCD and make me wonder if they might not have problems down the road.  

the only strong preference between the two in terms of function, is the belt mount system.   The DAA tighten with a metal band and use a screw driver that mounts it solid to the belt and doesn’t move (though the connector between the belt mount and pouch wiggles just a tiny bit).   My CR speeds may be an older design, but they slip on the belt and had a little bit of wiggle.   I drilled a small hole in the belt loop for each and put a short screw in them so they don’t wiggle or shift.   

Once set up and at match speed I couldn’t tell you a difference between the two.   The failures on each are a bit disappointing and lead me to think about try to rig each one so they would come apart.   I think some loctite will solve the Cr speed issue.  The DAA may need a rubber band or something to keep the spacer from pulling out.    So I guess I would say both are good but not without issues.  

23 hours ago, Flea said:

Which ones do you like and which ones to avoid?

Thanks

So I run HSGI pistol Taco pouches modified to work with a Safariland ELS belt. I shoot a lot of different handguns inside and outside of USPSA so the Taco pouches work great for the universal aspect but they are a little tall. HSGI now makes a kydex option in a "mini" format that is a little shorter which I am going to give a shot after Georgia State this weekend. I don't want to change anything before a major match. Not the time to try new things lol.

For the money, I really like the Safariland 773’s.  They are pretty simple too, they don’t really break or come loose on a ball joint like some waaay more expensive pouches.  Sometimes there is just to much going on and it’s easier to keep it simple to focus on other things.

• 3 months later...

+1 for Safariland 773's.  Watch Midwayusa and you can pick them up cheap on clearance both with and without the ELS fork.  Have CR Spreed pouches on my backup belt and they have been good but I dont care for them coming loose and rotating out of position.

22 minutes ago, Bfrisk72 said:

Have CR Spreed pouches on my backup belt and they have been good but I dont care for them coming loose and rotating out of position.

Mine have never rotated or come loose.  Put a dab of blue loctite on the screw, position the pouch and tighten, then leave alone for 24hrs.

Another vote for the Ghost. 
I’ve ran my current set for 3 years with no issues. For the price they are very hard to beat. Bullet forward, bullet out, adjustable angle. 

I even swap between Glock and CZ mags without any adjustment. The leaf springs have enough range to compensate for mag size and provide good tension. 

Ready Tactical for Production and Single Stack, you can easily get six on a belt with plenty of room to grab the magazine, and they're affordable.

Safariland 773 for Carry Optics, and Limited, I had them laying around, only need three, so real estate on the belt isn't critical. I did modify the mount, removed the part that hung below the belt, it dug into my legs, so I cut the offending part off and screwed and glued the mount together.

I like these two brands cause they're durable and don't have a lot of small parts to break. Lasted about eight years so far.