Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 vs. AA Primer Pro...which one

Pickin

Hello All,

Looking at picking up one or the other.  I load 9, 40 and 223 with respective CCI primers.  I do batches of 400 to 800 at a time.  Would it be wise to pick up a collator?  If so, which one?  I'm not a brand snob I just want one that works well.   

I have gotten the DAA Primer pro to work fine with CCI primers.  I have Federal Primers as well but have only a couple hundred Federal Primers though the Primer Pro.  You have to keep it clean.  I have a detailed explanation of maintenance on mine that keeps it running pretty smooth.  I cannot speak to the RF100.  I have loaded about 12k primers through my Primer Pro with little to no issue.  Maintenance has been key.

I copied this from the Primer Pro thread that I posted from before.

When I perform maintenance on my Primer Pro, I take it apart so all of the surface the primer touches can be cleaned. This includes the feed ramp. I clean it with simple green. Once clean I wipe it down with a good dose of Pledge. Once the pledge has dried I reassemble with the V2 plate and tighten it down with the original torx screws finger tight. I use a small socket set for disassembly so when I tighten the V2 plate down I only use the extension that is holding the bit as the tool to tighten the screws. Literally finger tight. I do not use a screw driver as I think it would tighten them too much. With CCI primers it fills the Tubes in under a minute with zero flipped primers to date once I employed this method.  Federal are next so I will see what happens when I load them up. I’m curious with the Federal primers  because the anvil seems higher on the Federals than the CCIs. 

It it would seem as of now the cleaning cycle is 5-7 thousand rounds. I have noted there is a tell when the Primer Pro is too dirty to operate efficiently. The primers do not tumble as well and seem to “Stick” to the bottom of the bowl. The bottom of the bowl becomes packed with primers. Once this happens you can see fill times increase drastically. I have found maintenance and screw tension on the plate to be the key for it to operate smoothly.  At least for CCIs. 

If you read through the DAA Primer Pro thread there are a few unhappy people and for some it seemed to work fine.  I recommend reading that thread before deciding.

20 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I have one of the Franklin Arsenal Vibra Prime.

Works good. Cheap (relatively).

I’m doing 1100 or so rounds at time. I have 10 primer picker up tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto

Sure beats using pick up tubes

• 2 weeks later...

My father had the Dillon RF100 - gen 1. We sent it back to get the potentiometer upgrade. Still takes a lot of adjusting to get it to work just right. Dad never uses it.

I went with the DAA Primer pro. No adjusting, just works.

I have always used the Vibra prime and I was pretty happy with it, however it is cheaply made. The battery connection died and the motor wore out, attempted to replace but that was not a success.

Ended up buying a 2nd hand RF-100 which was a disaster, ordered the RHEOSTAT upgrade and since than it is almost flawless. I have maybe 1 or 2 flipped primers per 1000 and I can easily live with that. That is with Fiocchi, S&B or Ginex primers.

When the Primer Pro came out I was looking to buy it and convert the RF-100 to LP, after seeing the experiences of the first users I held off and I think I will just keep it as is. No maintanence required so far on the RF-100 :)

I have the Primer Pro. No problems at all with CCI and Federal primers - SPP, SPMP, SRP, SRMP. I have had 5 upside down primers out of 20K.

Loads a tube of CCI in less than a minute [Federals are a little slower], much faster than I can load a 100 rounds on my Dillon 750. It does not require me to watch it while I am reloading.

I do not take it apart for maintenance. I take the drum off and wipe all exposed surfaces with Pledge and then a dry paper towel. I use Pledge on a Q-tip and wipe down the feed ramp , and all the opening slots in the drum itself from both sides.

At some point I did loosen the torx screws on the V2 plate slightly, maybe a 1/4 turn, and have not touched them since.

I have not run many Winchester primers thru the Primer Pro, but they did load slower than CCI and Federal.

Overall I am very happy with the Primer Pro.

I wish I had the money to try them all out see what I like.  I'm going to try my buddies vibra prime this weekend, he doesn't like it. Doesn't work well with his Hornday setup.

Sounds like everything is good.  Few issues here and there, but that's with every product on the market.  

I wish I had the money to try them all out see what I like.  I'm going to try my buddies vibra prime this weekend, he doesn't like it. Doesn't work well with his Hornday setup.

Sounds like everything is good.  Few issues here and there, but that's with every product on the market.  

When you vibra prime fails, just buy another. You can buy quite a few vibra primes for what the u it’s cost [emoji2373]

7 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

Not sure if this has been brought up on this forum before, but here is another new option that looks quite a bit like the PAL filler. Unlike the Vibra-prime, the AA version feeds directly into the primer tubes. That's a pretty big plus.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/primafill

I feed primers directly into primer tubes with the Vibra Prime. So with that "pretty big plus" out of the way they're essentially the same product.

Edited by 4n2t0

I feed primers directly into primer tubes with the Vibra Prime. So with that "pretty big plus" out of the way they're essentially the same product.

Agreed. I load straight to Dilllon tubes with Vibra prime.

AA unit does look slick. It’s probably built a little better than vibra prime.

Maybe I’ll try it if my vibra prime ever kicks the bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you fill Dillon tubes directly?

Just take the plastic piece off the end of the Dillon tube (not the one with the cotter pin, the other end, the one you press into the primers). Hold it up in the vibra prime and fill to your hearts content. Slide that plastic piece back onto the primer tube to secure them and your GTG.

6 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Just take the plastic piece off the end of the Dillon tube (not the one with the cotter pin, the other end, the one you press into the primers). Hold it up in the vibra prime and fill to your hearts content. Slide that plastic piece back onto the primer tube to secure them and your GTG.

Exactly how I do it...works well.

20 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Nice.  Thanks. 

I also took a little round file that fit the top of the primer tube (I think it’s from a set I got at Harbor Freight) and cleaned up the opening of the Dillon primer tubes, making it more of a funnel opening. Really helps the primers flow into the tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk