Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 vs. AA Primer Pro...which one

Pickin

I have the vibra prime. It does well with federal. It is cranky with winchester, it doesn't really like CCI primers as best as I can recall. 

I got the primer pro and I have to say I am very much not impressed with it. I've run federal and Winchester primers through it. It literally has a 200 primer count on it, and both brands hit the automatic shut off a couple of times before filling the tube.  The primers, despite being properly oriented jsut fall right back out of the slots. rather than going through the "keyhole".  They don't seem to have enough inertia after the first 30-50 to pull off that trick unless I hold the whole thing in my hand and reorient it to help speed them on their way. 

I have friends who have the dillons. They have issues too. I have to reach out for some CS on the primer pro, but at this point I'd say get the vibraprime or the hornady equivalent. At least their issues seem to be more tractable and you get them for cheaper. 

For me I need something, because the repeated poking motion aggravates a previous wrist injury. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started with the Vibraprime when they first came out. Worked great. Gave to a friend and got one of the new ones.

The current version doesn't work for me at all. At all.

Picked up a RF100 and it just flat works. Zero problems once I leveled it. I keep it covered so no dust and blow it out before starting. CCI, Win & Federals all work fine.

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, Boomstick303 said:

Federal are next so I will see what happens when I load them up. I’m curious with the Federal primers  because the anvil seems higher on the Federals than the CCIs. 

An update on my prior post. I have started using the Federal Primers in the DAA Primer Pro. I found the screws attaching the plate to the bowl required a little less torque when assembling versus when tightening them for use with the CCI primers. I still follow the same cleaning and maintenance protocol from my previous post. Essentially just snug (stop screwing once the plate contacts to bowl) the screws with no torque using only your fingers. I actually just use a small extension with the proper Torx bit from a miniature socket set that comes with the Torx bits. If you are using any other means you may be creating to much torque.  So if all you have is a driver handle with Torx bits only use your fingers and not your hand to apply torque.  For CCI primers I apply some force to the same bit with just my fingers. The amount torque applied is what is directly effecting the clearance for the primers to fall into the slots the discharge to the feed ramp.  You may need to play with how much you tighten the screws to get a feel for the appropriate amount of torque to apply. 

This fills tube in 60-90seconds with zero upside down primers. 

If if this is confusing or if you have questions DM me and I will be happy to help or answer any questions you may have. 

Edited by Boomstick303