Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange-looking 9 mm brass

usmc1974

57 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I did a search, but the results was endless. What kind of 9 mm brass is this? It looks like it has a shelf inside. I was wondering, what can this do the to velocity and pressure?

20200723_174317-1.jpg

Come on!!!!! You’ve been here long enough to know what stepped brass is. Just do a search for it on here or google.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

After you save up a reasonable poundage of unwanted brass and expended primers, you can sell it at a scrap metal yard.

That is about all those are good for. I think scrap brass sells for something like $1.70 these days...

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Come on!!!!! You’ve been here long enough to know what stepped brass is. Just do a search for it on here or google.

Sarge,  I did a search I said and the results was astronomical you get everything that says 9, everything that says, millimeter, you get everything to says brass, get everything that says 9 mm brass.

Well s*** first you had to worry about 45 ACP brass with small primers. Now you have to worry about stepped 9 mm brass. What is next 40 Smith & Wesson brass made on Thursdays. lol

Thanks for all the information about this subject guys

Edited by usmc1974

30 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Sarge,  I did a search I said and the results was astronomical you get everything that says 9, everything that says, millimeter, you get everything to says brass, get everything that says 9 mm brass.

Well s*** first you had to worry about 45 ACP brass with small primers. Now you have to worry about stepped 9 mm brass. What is next 40 Smith & Wesson brass made on Thursdays. lol

Thanks for all the information about this subject guys

Hint:  When you do a search, it will pop the results page up with further options that help get just the phrase you are looking for!

DA15AC54-84C1-438E-9382-254D459B8FB6.jpeg

I ran into a couple of these cases head stamped "Maxxtech" a couple of weeks ago.  I discovered them when they stopped my XL650 cold at the resizing/decapping  station since the Dillon decapping pin wouldn't fit inside them.   That was fortunate since I'm using the book maximum charge of Sport Pistol and the reduced case capacity could have caused pressure problems. 

I did some searching to find out what they were as I have never seen anything like them in the past and it turned out they weren't as rare or unusual as I thought. They were an unpleasant surprise as they were mixed in with my regular empty brass and I have no idea how I got them. 

Just now, SteelCityShooter said:

That's where they are going.  As i mentioned, if there are any more, the XL650 automatically sorts them out.

That definitely makes it easier than looking into thousands of cases to find them! Happy Reloading!!

Stepped brass has been around for at least 7 years. To my knowledge, it's all imported from Russia and loaded under different brands. In fact,  TulAmmo and MaxxTech are from the same parent company headquartered in Round Rock, TX (Grasso Holdings).
Freedom Munitions / Ammo Load filed for bankruptcy last year but continue to sell ammo.   I don't know if their brass is still stepped or not.

1 minute ago, Intheshaw1 said:

So I know it's stepped brass, but what is the point of a company making stepped brass vs regular brass?

I've heard two possible explanations:

1. It positively prevent the bullet from being pushed back and seated deeper into the case during magazine loading and feeding.

2. The reduced powder capacity allows the same velocity and pressure with a smaller (i.e cheaper) powder charge. 

3 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I ran into a couple of these cases head stamped "Maxxtech" a couple of weeks ago.  I discovered them when they stopped my XL650 cold at the resizing/decapping  station since the Dillon decapping pin wouldn't fit inside them.   That was fortunate since I'm using the book maximum charge of Sport Pistol and the reduced case capacity could have caused pressure problems. 

I did some searching to find out what they were as I have never seen anything like them in the past and it turned out they weren't as rare or unusual as I thought. They were an unpleasant surprise as they were mixed in with my regular empty brass and I have no idea how I got them. 

Keep in mind that not all Maxxtech headstamps are stepped brass. The new ones are just like regular brass without the ledge inside the case. 

That's where they are going.  As i mentioned, if there are any more, the XL650 automatically sorts them out.

I have found that lots and lots get through the 1050 using Dillon dies. I use mtm 45 ammo boxes and just dump cases onto them and 99% land mouth up and I can quickly glance inside the case and check for stepped brass and pins stuck in the flash hole. I do it while listening to podcasts or with the tv on in the background and can blow through them pretty damn quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Hint:  When you do a search, it will pop the results page up with further options that help get just the phrase you are looking for!

DA15AC54-84C1-438E-9382-254D459B8FB6.jpeg

Thanks that makes it a lot easier, I'm glad you told me.

10 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I have found that lots and lots get through the 1050 using Dillon dies. I use mtm 45 ammo boxes and just dump cases onto them and 99% land mouth up and I can quickly glance inside the case and check for stepped brass and pins stuck in the flash hole. I do it while listening to podcasts or with the tv on in the background and can blow through them pretty damn quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that since the two I found got caught by my Dillon sizing die, any others would too.  However, I also have a Dillon Powder Check on my 650 and it should catch them by sensing a high powder level since the case capacity is smaller than standard and they should register as a double charge.

3 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I hope that since the two I found got caught by my Dillon sizing die, any others would too.  However, I also have a Dillon Powder Check on my 650 and it should catch them by sensing a high powder level since the case capacity is smaller than standard and they should register as a double charge.

My Dillon sizing die in my Square Deal is what caught this one stopped it up big time hopefully it will continue to do that in case any more of these bastards show up