Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to buy primers

Chompion

I just had 5000 Federal Small Pistol Primers #100 delivered yesterday.  I got them from www.powdervalleyinc.com  

Looks like they are back out of stock now but I'd just look periodically. Seems that they are going in and out of stock on almost a daily basis.  I had the same in my cart at Midway and they went out of stock before I could check out.   

I was able to snag 20K off Everglades last night. Just keep looking. eventually you will find a stash. When you do, buy as much as your wallet will allow. This shortage is going to last a while.

Im also located in Northern IL. Every local store who used to sell reloading components has either stopped or severely reduced their stocks over the years prior to the most recent panic buying. I suggest sticking to buying online in larger amounts. Powder Valley, Everglades, Grafs, MidSouth Shooters Supply, and the like.

6 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

$89.00 for 1000 primers.  Man times are tough.

Wow, folks tend to remember who was taking advantage of situations.  $28.50 for HAZMAT plus $16+ for shipping is insane.

4 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

Wow, folks tend to remember who was taking advantage of situations.  $28.50 for HAZMAT plus $16+ for shipping is insane.

That hazmat and shipping was included in his "$89". Primers are listed at $43.95. 5 units left as of right now (Yes, still very high).

https://lohmanarms.com/product/cci-small-pistol-primers-no-500/

Their hazmat fees are pretty standard for most supplies.

Edited by Maximis228

Yes I knew that, went to the website and checked it out.  Again if you gotta have it, you gotta pay it but I'm used to more reasonable HAZMAT and Shipping charges from companies like Brownells, Powder Valley, Grafs, etc.  Even Midway only charges $12 for HAZMAT.

12 hours ago, Chompion said:

I just recently started to reload, but it seems primers are sold out everywhere. Anyone know of anywhere I can buy primers online or locally? No luck ay my Local bass pro or cabelas here in northen IL. 

Powder valley got some CCIs back in stock, probably won't last the night.

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Powder valley got some CCIs back in stock, probably won't last the night.

A member on here gave me the heads up earlier and I was able to stock up. Thanks all! A good bunch on here. I appreciate it! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SJBriggs said:

Powder Valley just had some. From the time I added them to my cart, until the time I tried to check out, they were already gone! Savage!

I almost snagged some but the 5 box limit made the cost over $.04/ea. with shipping and hazmat.  I would have jumped if I could have got 10.  Maybe I'm being picky but I do have a couple boxes of CCI at the moment.

Edited by Michael303

I almost snagged some but the 5 box limit made the cost over $.04/ea. with shipping and hazmat.  I would have jumped if I could have got 10.  Maybe I'm being picky but I do have a couple boxes of CCI at the moment.

I ended up buying 2000 locally for $50 a box because I was out. Trust me that hurt, I also picked up some 22 ammo to practice with. This shortage is beginning to suck and get expensive.

42 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

Damn. How much were the hazmat fees???

9 hours ago, Stuey said:

I ended up buying 2000 locally for $50 a box because I was out. Trust me that hurt, I also picked up some 22 ammo to practice with. This shortage is beginning to suck and get expensive.

I feel that. I probably would do the same if I were out too. 

8 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

Damn. How much were the hazmat fees???

Shipping and hazmat was $34 on 5 boxes. I might have done it if I could have bought 10 boxes.  I'm waiting on projectiles though so no rush. 

On 7/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, Michael303 said:

I hemmed and hawed at buying 5k Winchester SPPs from Powder Valley a few weeks ago since hazmat drove the price up and they didn't have any powder I wanted. Glad I did, though. 1k small pistol primers of any kind are going for $100+ on auction sites now.

9 hours ago, slowhands said:

1k small pistol primers of any kind are going for $100+ on auction sites now.

Really?!? I have 45k stashed somewhere . I'd gladly part with some for that price.

I would get on a waiting list at some of the reputable companies and wait for them to come in.  Some of the prices I've seen some online auctions are downright disgusting.  $100 for 1k primers.  The problem is...someone is always willing to pay.

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

For a split second I read that as “$100 for used primers.”

Now... *that* would be truly insane pricing. 

I have a couple coffee cans full of used primers I would sell cheap. Only once fired.

Edited by Kokeman

2 hours ago, Kema said:

Well 100 usd price is capitalism at work :) Primer shortage is a global thing. 

Not up here.  Well maybe not entirely accurate going forward since our stock is mostly imported from the USA.  But for now most stores have stock.