Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder for 44 Magnum Loads

S&W686

whats the barrel length ? if its a 4 I personally  would go with 2400 over H110.  I use 2400 in my 5" Ruger. 
I havent tried it in 44 yet, but I think Be 86 would be a good powder as well for mid range loads. Burn rate is between Unique and Power pistol. Low flash,  works good with coated bullets. Seems to be working well in alot of rounds for me.

I shoot way more mid speed mellow loads than I do full on loads, but 2400 is definitely my favorite for true 44 Mag.   I'd start at 18.0g with a 240gr and ladder up slowly watching for pressure.   

Power Pistol is surprisingly decent at below max speeds, it also exhibits quite a display.  😯

BE-86 also works nicely below max, but without the visual show.

I used to shoot at an indoor public range, that had the cables with clips to hang paper targets. I would load full power H110 under a 180,, IIRC like 28 grs ? was awsome,, Range was dimly lit, setting that off not only lit up the place, everyone else's paper targets in the lanes next to me would blow sideways.
Dang,, now you guys got me aching for a new S&W model 69 as a hiking gun and I JUST found one of my grail guns,, a 2.5" 386

14 hours ago, Joe4d said:

whats the barrel length ? if its a 4 I personally  would go with 2400 over H110.  I use 2400 in my 5" Ruger. 
I havent tried it in 44 yet, but I think Be 86 would be a good powder as well for mid range loads. Burn rate is between Unique and Power pistol. Low flash,  works good with coated bullets. Seems to be working well in alot of rounds for me.

The Barrel lenght is 6 inch.

H110 will give you top velocity. 2400 will give you near top with a  less recoil. 
One thing 2400 can be reduced. IAW most manuals H110 cant by more than 10%.

What kinda velocity and bullet type, weight you looking for ?

Win 296 and H110 are the same powder packaged differently.

Lots of BOOM and flash and some recoil. I like it for my 3" ported gun when we shoot pumpkins in the (almost) dark on Halloween. Spectacular.

2400 is great powder for the 44! Mag loads are very efficient. (Elmer's load was 22gr and a 240gr  Keith style bullet. Super load. A real thumper! You can load down to 44 special velocities without a problem. Versatile powder!

I like AA9 best of all. Best velocities at max charge. Low flash, reduced recoil (not as harsh). Great all around max load powder.

There are probably a dozen (or 2 or 3) more 44 powders. Which is the best?

That will depend on your testing.

As always, don't trust the internet for load data!

Get it from your loading manuals.

You do have load manuals right?

• 2 weeks later...

44 mag is very versatile. I've used H110, 2400, Unique, Power Pistol, N350, No 9, No 7. Power Pistol is very consistent using loads in between 44 special and 44 mag. Same with N350. 2400 is really flexible in 44 mag. Lyman has data for cast bullets in 44 special using 2400 which surprised me because I thought 2400 needed high pressure to work well. It all depends on what you want to do with it. There is an old IMR manual that can be found that has has loads with really slow stuff like IMR 4198, 3031, etc. I tried IMR 4064 just for kicks and it worked, really soft. Bottom line is 44 mag will do a lot of different things and there is tons of data for it.

For my Ruger 6 inch I use 296 for full power loads, an d 231 for mild plinking loads. I admit the full power 296 loads will rattle your teeth, but it does what the .44 was intended for. I did shoot some of my full power loads in one of the scandium supper light trail pistols. # rounds and I was done.

296 also loads .30 Carbine well, and the 300 Blackout, Pretty versatile.

I’m like every body else w-296 is it for hunting loads and I have used a bunch of w-231 with 240 gr. swc at around 8.5 grs for very mild loads . Started using power pistol for in between loads and it’s been a really good fit very accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

H110/296 needs heavy bullets, tight crimp and a strong primer, ie CCI 350 or WWLP to really perform to its full potential. You can use lighter bullets but that’s where you get the unburnt powder and giant fireballs from. I generally don’t load under 240g with it. I have a 208 wad cutter that I load with 231 and it’s very accurate and fun to shoot. The 44 is a very versatile accurate round, if you just remember that for a light plinker use a faster powder and for a true magnum go slower. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Lil’gun?  I acquired some that was originally slated for 300 Blk. Now that is no longer in the que I have quite a bit to use elsewhere. I have read it burns too hot and isn’t good on the forcing cone. Didn’t know if this is internet BS or factual to some degree?

I tried some and wasn’t impressed in the 44. While I haven’t personally seen it I have seen pictures of top strap cutting and forcing cone erosion. Supposedly it is high in nitro hence the extra heat. I do have a pretty good load with it in my 22 K-Hornet but it seems kind of peaky and extreme spreads are large. Even in the 410 for which it was designed for, it burns and crisps up hulls much quicker than 296/H110. I haven’t tried MP300 in the 44 yet but it works really good in my 327 FM and 410. It’s a bit slower than 296 and is pretty clean but again it’s more for full house loads.