Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder for 44 Magnum Loads

S&W686

• 1 year later...

My standbys have been Unique, Trail Boss, 2400, and FFFg. The easiest to load is FFFg, just fill there’s and cram a bullet on top.😝  If you want a fire ball for night/twilight shoots, this is THE load! Clean-up is a breeze with HOT soapy water too. 

For those of you who don’t know, FFFg is a fine grade of Black Powder. 

For lye last few years, I’ve only been loading Cowboy Action loads: 200gr cast RNFP on 6.5gr of Unique lit by a WLP.  Magnum loads are 240gr Cast GCSWC over 18.0gr 2400 lit by a CCI LPM.

• 2 weeks later...

Dido on H110 and 296 with same bullet weight both are within .1gr and lil gun 1 or 2 grain less.   296 has always been my go too in wheel guns.   In semi guns I've had too back off on charge weight.   I also use cci350 where wlp or cci300 is used.

• 4 months later...

As others have stated:  2400 and H110/Win 296 are the standard "go to" powders.  I was also add 300-MP as an excellent alternative.  I use 10 grains of Unique and a magnum primer under a 240 grain plated bullet for loads that are a little more fun to plink with.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Like many here I use 296/110 for jacketed 240 grain bullets and it works great, but it does produce respectable recoil.  Horsepower always has a price.

For midrange loads I’ve used Unique and WW 231 with mild recoil (compared to 296/110) and good accuracy.   The powder choices we have now are so much greater than in years past.  

• 4 months later...

296/110 on 240gr JHP for Hunting and ww231 on a LRN for plinking. One thing I realized is to get the lighter charge I had to switch charging bars on my Dillon powder drop, to be able to get low enough.

• 10 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, twodownzero said:

There is no need for anything other than W296/H110.  These two (they're the same) are THE magnum powders for handguns.

They are great for full house loads not so much for medium or light loads. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, Indy574 said:

Has anyone tried Lil’gun?  I acquired some that was originally slated for 300 Blk. Now that is no longer in the que I have quite a bit to use elsewhere. I have read it burns too hot and isn’t good on the forcing cone. Didn’t know if this is internet BS or factual to some degree?

I've used lil gun in 44mag and 50ae.   Can't complain!   I've also used lil gun for 300bo.   Pretty much any powder for 44mag I've used in 300bo (296, h110 (I know it's the same) and lil gun).   1680 is also my go to in 300bo.

Edited by K-Tex