Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange-looking 9 mm brass

usmc1974

Are you getting ready to do some reloading and lubing up my grass this morning and I came across this one. Never seen one look like this before have you? All right thing it says for the head stamped is C3 9mm

20200620_115646-1.jpg

1 hour ago, FightFireJay said:

Shell Shock Technologies.

Cool stuff, durable, lighter than brass, increased case capacity, and reloadable (with a special die).

Supposedly it is cost effective to produce as well.

Thanks for all the info,  I don't think I'm going to screw with this stuff.  glad I found it for I tried to reload it.

2 hours ago, 99mpower said:

definitely not reloadable without special stuff. the case head is magnetic as well, so its easier to pick up off the ground

The head is not magnetic, the case body is.

The head is aluminum, the case body is steel.

23 hours ago, superdude said:

The head is not magnetic, the case body is.

The head is aluminum, the case body is steel.

well I'll be damn.. had to look that up, because when you grab them with a magnet, thats not what I would of expected... touche'

6 hours ago, 99mpower said:

well I'll be damn.. had to look that up, because when you grab them with a magnet, thats not what I would of expected... touche'

Here's an article with lots of information about the Shell Shock cases:

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/6/27/handloading-shell-shock-technologies-nas3-cases/

9 hours ago, superdude said:

Here's an article with lots of information about the Shell Shock cases:

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/6/27/handloading-shell-shock-technologies-nas3-cases/

yeah, i just went to their website. whenever i pick them up with a magnet, the head is usually what "seems" magnetic, not the body. All good, just got them switched

• 6 months later...
20 hours ago, shred said:

Vlieger shoots them and does pretty well with them...

Probably not paying too much for them either..... if at all.

Personally, they are left on the range floor so they are not confused with my "regular" nickel cases.  No need to screw up my reloading process with cases that pull apart and there is WAY MORE regular brass out there that my current setup can use without buying special dies.

There are enough issues with Xtreme and other brass that has less capacity than the big manufacturers.  Those have to be culled out of the brass pile before starting the wet tumbling process as the lower capacity case produces higher pressures.

YMMV

BC

21 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

Probably not paying too much for them either..... if at all.

Yeah, he has a big logo on his shirt, but at that level if something doesn't work, it doesn't get used.  I doubt most of the top 10 are paying too much for whatever brass they use.

21 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

There are enough issues with Xtreme and other brass that has less capacity than the big manufacturers.  Those have to be culled out of the brass pile before starting the wet tumbling process as the lower capacity case produces higher pressures.

Yeah, I hate the stepped brass and brass-plated steel way more than ShellShocks.  Those are obvious enough they're easy to separate.  I considered using them for a while to differentiate major and minor 9 loads, and the magnetic pickup is interesting except there's a zillion of the Russian steel-cases all over the range too.

36 minutes ago, shred said:

there's a zillion of the Russian steel-cases all over the range too.

Yep, same here.  At one club, the bays that are used for USPSA competition are also used for 3-Gun.  Some of the 3-gun guys don't reload and just buy the Russian steel cased stuff.... It gets broomed to one side of the bay and usually stays there until the annual spring clean-up.

BC

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Shell Shock Tech cases since May 2016. I've been working with them since the beginning of 2017.

I used them initially after I had a case failure at the 2016 SNS Championship, which meant I zeroed a 160 point stage, and the lead I had went with it. Since using them in 9mm major, and minor, I've shot close to 100k rounds. I loaded a new case 8 times, back to back, until it failed, and when it did I didn't even notice. The slow-mo footage just showed a puff of smoke from the ejection port, and the round fired and cycled perfectly. The cylinder contains the pressure, not the case head. So, IF you have a failure, for whatever reason, the force of the failure is still contained in the chamber, and not blowing out the web.

I've shot 9mm major out of a blowback PCC, resized and reloaded it, and did it again. Full auto MP5, MPX, Sten guns, Glocks, etc all fed and fired it fine. There have been concerns raised by officials at Chrono when they go to pull the bullet. A company in the past was making ammo with them and crimped the ever living HELL out of the case with a coated bullet, meaning the bullet would not let go in the bullet puller. I have shot well over 60 major matches with these cases and never had that happen with a proper crimp.

Why do I use them? Stronger, lighter, and more consistent. L-Tech, Fenix Ammo, and others are using them in commercial ammo.

If you do not want them in your press, I understand, however being magnetic and visually different they are relatively easy to sort out. You can put a magnet on your case feed funnel to catch any steel case.

Full disclosure, yes, the cases I use these days are provided to me. If you have any questions about them feel free to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, UpYoursPal said:

Had a quick look over at the site, and the technology seems really cool.  JV: to your knowledge, can the specialty S3 dies be used with regular brass?  I didn't see that addressed anywhere

Yes the special dies can be used with normal brass and work very well. I and a good friend use these quite a bit. They are easy to pick up and I have some that probably have 5 or 6 major loads on them and many minor loads. I love them and would go to them exclusively if they came out with 40 cases. 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:03 AM, SSGJohnV said:

I've been using Shell Shock Tech cases since May 2016. I've been working with them since the beginning of 2017.

I used them initially after I had a case failure at the 2016 SNS Championship, which meant I zeroed a 160 point stage, and the lead I had went with it. Since using them in 9mm major, and minor, I've shot close to 100k rounds. I loaded a new case 8 times, back to back, until it failed, and when it did I didn't even notice. The slow-mo footage just showed a puff of smoke from the ejection port, and the round fired and cycled perfectly. The cylinder contains the pressure, not the case head. So, IF you have a failure, for whatever reason, the force of the failure is still contained in the chamber, and not blowing out the web.

I've shot 9mm major out of a blowback PCC, resized and reloaded it, and did it again. Full auto MP5, MPX, Sten guns, Glocks, etc all fed and fired it fine. There have been concerns raised by officials at Chrono when they go to pull the bullet. A company in the past was making ammo with them and crimped the ever living HELL out of the case with a coated bullet, meaning the bullet would not let go in the bullet puller. I have shot well over 60 major matches with these cases and never had that happen with a proper crimp.

Why do I use them? Stronger, lighter, and more consistent. L-Tech, Fenix Ammo, and others are using them in commercial ammo.

If you do not want them in your press, I understand, however being magnetic and visually different they are relatively easy to sort out. You can put a magnet on your case feed funnel to catch any steel case.

Full disclosure, yes, the cases I use these days are provided to me. If you have any questions about them feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info.  Is it necessary/recommended to rollsize the fired Shellshock cases prior to reloading them?  I currently rollsize all of my mixed 9mm brass for 9Major

On 2/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, Balakay said:

Thanks for the info.  Is it necessary/recommended to rollsize the fired Shellshock cases prior to reloading them?  I currently rollsize all of my mixed 9mm brass for 9Major

I have never roll sized a single piece before reloading. The cylinder is what takes the pressure, and it is higher up the case than on a brass one, which means when you resize with your die just off of the shell plate, it resizes the entire cylinder. The base of the case is roughly 0.215" tall, and the cylinder (pressure containing) begins after that. As long as the resize die is going that deep, you should be good to go.