Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best MOA Dot for USPSA.

5 hours ago, theautobahn said:

I have a slight astigmatism, so my 3.25 "blooms" and appears bigger than it actually is. I'm a "C" shooter in CO, so I don't shoot well enough for dot size to make a huge impact. That said, everyone I've talked to who has tried one says the SRO in 5.0 is the cat's pajamas.

Have you tried different size dots and if so is bloom worse with bigger dot or smaller?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2020 at 7:14 PM, dtuns said:

Have you tried different size dots and if so is bloom worse with bigger dot or smaller?

You know... most of what I shoot is on rifles, so 2-3 moa - and they all seem to bloom about the same. But this weekend, I shot with contacts and the bloom was nowhere near as pronounced. I wonder if the contacts helped...

I was checking out a guy's rifle with a knock-off c-more on it, but with a factory c-more 12 moa dot module and it seemed pretty crisp.

I've owned and shot Vortex, Primary Arms, Holosun, Bushnell, Trijicon, Aimpoint,  etc, and it all bloomed. I just crank them way down for precision work, and for up close and fast stuff, the bloom doesn't bother me.

Edited by theautobahn

18 hours ago, theautobahn said:

You know... most of what I shoot is on rifles, so 2-3 moa - and they all seem to bloom about the same. But this weekend, I shot with contacts and the bloom was nowhere near as pronounced. I wonder if the contacts helped...

But I was checking out a guy's rifle with a knock-off c-more on it, but with a factory c-more 12 moa dot module and it seemed pretty crisp.

But I've owned and shot Vortex, Primary Arms, Holosun, Bushnell, Trijicon, Aimpoint,  etc, and it all bloomed. I just crank them way down for precision work, and for up close and fast stuff, the bloom doesn't bother me.

When I used to wear contacts wasn't as bad I think cause it changes the shape of the eye. Unfortunately I can't wear contacts anymore cause of dry eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that anything from 5-7 moa is a good balance. Turning up, or down the brightness can really make a dot "look" bigger/smaller than it is rated, so it gives you a little flexibility 

• 1 month later...

Almost everyone I know shoots somewhere between a 6-8 MOA dot.  

I have a 6 MOA dot on my rimfire pistol, and honestly I wish I would have gone with an 8 MOA dot.  I'm not overly practiced with a dot on a handgun, so I occasionally lose the dot in the window.  With practice I'm sure this would improve, but when I've shot pistols with the 8 MOA dots, I don't seem to experience that same issue.  

I'd say that what you have is perfect.  Shoot it for a while, and if you don't like then make a switch.  

I'm an IPSC sooter and I had 3MOA Vortex Venom, Docter III and Sightmarkt Mini on my Glocks. They didn't make me a faster shooter... versus myself with my Vogel iron sights.... even I'm wearing reading glases and the sights is not quite clear for me. So I ve just oredr a Venom in 6 MOA for my Shadow 2. I hope 6 MOA will be better for hitting faster the mini poppers, plates and swingers.

Edited by Uomu
adding info

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of a very fine dot.  2.5 - 3 MOA is perfect.  I'm running a Sig Romeo 3 XL in the 3moa version.  

I'm able to have a much higher level of precision shot calling.  I don't find any measurable difference in speeding up using the 6 up close (as one would assume).  3vs6 up close is pretty much the exact same.  The difference I see is on tight targets such as a tux or headshot only.  I can call shots with more precision with the 3.  The 6 won't cover  up something you can't see, but part of the dot can be hanging over the side and makes me stress and far shots.  I like the more precise 3.  

The other thing I hear about why the 6 vs a 3, is that "you can turn a 6 down and can't turn a 3 up."  My sig is very bright and the 3 never gets washed out with the sun.  Hope this helps.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, csailer said:

I'm a big fan of a very fine dot.  2.5 - 3 MOA is perfect.  I'm running a Sig Romeo 3 XL in the 3moa version.  

I'm able to have a much higher level of precision shot calling.  I don't find any measurable difference in speeding up using the 6 up close (as one would assume).  3vs6 up close is pretty much the exact same.  The difference I see is on tight targets such as a tux or headshot only.  I can call shots with more precision with the 3.  The 6 won't cover  up something you can't see, but part of the dot can be hanging over the side and makes me stress and far shots.  I like the more precise 3.  

The other thing I hear about why the 6 vs a 3, is that "you can turn a 6 down and can't turn a 3 up."  My sig is very bright and the 3 never gets washed out with the sun.  Hope this helps.  

+1 

Been through the same thing personally.

started with Romeo 1 pro in 6moa. Upgraded to 3XL in 3MOA and the various brightness levels rock on the sig optics. 

3 MOA has been precise when needed, streaks well at speed, and doesn’t have the sun issue like other competitors’ optics seem to have issues with. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, Edwards30 said:

I just purchased a Glock 34 build that came with a Type 1 6.5MOA RMR.  It is the auto adjusting version and I plan on using it for USPSA.

I am curious if other have found 6.5 to be too big and if I should consider getting a 3.25 with the manual adjusting buttons.

6moa is what most run. Auto adjust may be an issue but probably not. Don’t get caught up in the gadget wormhole. Shoot what you have. 

I see this thread is still getting some attention so I thought I would make an update. 

I have since switched to a 5MOA SRO and ditched the RMR. I’ve yet to feel like the 5 MOA was too big. With the shortage of optic availability, I got pretty lucky with finding it. 

I do have a follow-up question though, on a bright sunny day, what sort of brightness are people running on an SRO? I have been running mine all the way up, but I wonder if that is a detriment and has been drawing my eye to it more. 

On 2/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, Edwards30 said:

I see this thread is still getting some attention so I thought I would make an update. 

I have since switched to a 5MOA SRO and ditched the RMR. I’ve yet to feel like the 5 MOA was too big. With the shortage of optic availability, I got pretty lucky with finding it. 

I do have a follow-up question though, on a bright sunny day, what sort of brightness are people running on an SRO? I have been running mine all the way up, but I wonder if that is a detriment and has been drawing my eye to it more. 

I use the 5moa SRO as well and run it at max brightness 98% of the time. The only exception is a shady bay early in the morning I might bump it down a click if I’m getting some distracting bloom. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use C-More RTS2's with 6 MOA on all my Open Guns and PCC. I adapt the brightness based on indoor and outdoor range/weather conditions. They work well under all conditions. There is no such thing as a best RD or MOA, it depends on distances, weather conditions and especially your preferences/feeling. Try to shoot with different types to see what works best for you.

20 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I use C-More RTS2's with 6 MOA on all my Open Guns and PCC. I adapt the brightness based on indoor and outdoor range/weather conditions. They work well under all conditions. There is no such thing as a best RD or MOA, it depends on distances, weather conditions and especially your preferences/feeling. Try to shoot with different types to see what works best for you.

• 2 months later...

I've been running a 6.5 MOA RMR for several years on a carry G19 that I was shooting in USPSA Open. I am over the 6.5MOA game. It's too broad. My buddy picked up a 1MOA SRO and it's dreamy. I think I'd be torn between that and the 2.5MOA SRO. 

On 5/3/2021 at 3:16 PM, Kevrend said:

I've been running a 6.5 MOA RMR for several years on a carry G19 that I was shooting in USPSA Open. I am over the 6.5MOA game. It's too broad. My buddy picked up a 1MOA SRO and it's dreamy. I think I'd be torn between that and the 2.5MOA SRO. 

I've got a 1moa SRO and a 3moa Venom on my RFPO guns and it surprised me how close the dots look in size. I'm not even sure that I can tell the difference. 

My only real experience with a dot on a pistol has been with the Holosun 507 with 2moa dot. It was affordable and a great “intro” to shooting red dots, but as soon as I can find one in stock somewhere I plan to try the 5 MOA SRO. All of my Internet research tells me that the 5-6moa size may be best for USPSA and local falling steel matches. I know the Sig Romeo3 Max is very similar to the SRO, but oddly enough, Sig products just don’t excite me. Probably cuz I’m basically a Glock guy. 

I have a 6.5 MOA RMR on my carry gun, a 5 MOA SRO on one of my CO guns, and a Holosun 507C on my other CO gun.

I've tried both the 2 MOA dot and the 32 MOA circle on the Holosun during matches and practice and I prefer the circle to the tiny dot.  The dot and circle on at the same time is dumb, it combines the worst features of both reticles.

However, the 5 MOA SRO is superior to everything I have used.

This may sound too cavalier, but the best size dot is the one you see soonest when shooting. 

Since most target are less than 25 yards and normally within 10 a small MOA for accuracy isn't really a player as it is in precision rifle shooting. 

A small dot will not be seen as well as a larger one when moving and during follow-up shots. That will slow you down.

I believe most use a 5 or 6 (which I do too) and some go to the 8. 

5 hours ago, Cuz said:

but as soon as I can find one in stock somewhere I plan to try the 5 MOA SRO.

I'm shooting the SRO in CO and mostly like it. It does have the fake dot show up in sunny conditions occasionally. I just purchased an Alpha 3 dot and will experiment with it. For the price (about 1/2) so far it's a better value than the SRO.

http://fasttoys.net/ca/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight/

Edited by HesedTech

31 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

This may sound too cavalier, but the best size dot is the one you see soonest when shooting. 

I'm with you. A small dot is good for precision when you have the time. But small dot might be slow when you just need a flash picture .i.e. cqb  Experiment to find what is best. You might find bright small is just fine. Or not. I have both and might be leaning to small dot to cover a bunch of stuff.

I prefer a bigger moa dot. I have a tendency to sometimes overaim especially if I see a lot of dot movement with smaller dots, also I find it nicer to dim a bigger dot vs brightening a small one.