Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best MOA Dot for USPSA.

I just purchased a Glock 34 build that came with a Type 1 6.5MOA RMR.  It is the auto adjusting version and I plan on using it for USPSA.

I am curious if other have found 6.5 to be too big and if I should consider getting a 3.25 with the manual adjusting buttons.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my PCC's and my CO gun, I run 6moa dots.  On my steel challenge PCC, I run 12moa dot.

The only difference is how much the dot covers at distance.  I like the look of the 6 moa and I know where it hits at distance.

Okay thanks for the information.

It seems the 3.25 dot is more for accuracy and some people just crank it up in brightness to appear as big as a 6.5 if they need it be.

I think I will still with 6.5 to be safe.

A lot depends on where the dot is and how bright it gets.  The difference in location between a frame-mounted dot on an Open gun and a slide-mounted dot doesn't seem like a lot, but it is enough..

Small dots have to be very bright to be useful in bright sun at matches.

As far as accuracy goes?  Doesn't matter much.  6 moa covers a 3 inch circle at 50 yards and 1.5" at 25.  Not a lot of us can hold better than that in a match situation.

A lot depends on where the dot is and how bright it gets.  The difference in location between a frame-mounted dot on an Open gun and a slide-mounted dot doesn't seem like a lot, but it is enough..

Small dots have to be very bright to be useful in bright sun at matches.

As far as accuracy goes?  Doesn't matter much.  6 moa covers a 3 inch circle at 50 yards and 1.5" at 25.  Not a lot of us can hold better than that in a match situation.

So right now I have a 6.5 MOA RMR that is non adjustable. I’m looking to upgrade to a Type 2 RMR but I’m just having trouble with dot size.

I’m not sure if an RMR is bright enough to be used at 3.25 as you mentioned. Also, mine is milled on the slide. So it wouldn’t be frame mounted.

2 hours ago, Edwards30 said:

So right now I have a 6.5 MOA RMR that is non adjustable. I’m looking to upgrade to a Type 2 RMR but I’m just having trouble with dot size.

I’m not sure if an RMR is bright enough to be used at 3.25 as you mentioned. Also, mine is milled on the slide. So it wouldn’t be frame mounted.

Before you sink any money into anything, go shoot a few matches.  The 6.5 MOA dot is damned near perfect for action pistol sports.  The auto-adjust feature in RMRs works very well outdoors.

IF you decide you want to buy something else, skip the manually-adjustable RMR and go straight to a 5 MOA SRO.  You'll thank me later.  BTW, the SRO has the same exact footprint as the RMR.

PS, "Type 2" does not mean an RMR has manually adjustable brightness.  It means the battery compartment and contacts have been redesigned to prevent loss of contact with the battery under the severe G forces that a slide-mounted optic is subjected to.  Yours could be an auto-adjust Type 2.

PPS, RMRs with manually-adjustable brightness also have an auto-brightness feature and that's what they default to when you turn them on.  Read the manual to understand how to switch between modes and how to lock modes.

I went the cheap but unlimited warranty route as I am just a C shooter in Carry Optics and do not invest a lot of time in it. However, I started with a Viper 6 MOA and liked it a lot but found some good deals on Venom's 3 MOA and liked how you can adjust them different from the Viper and how you didn't have to take the optic off to change the battery. 

For me, I have not noticed a big difference, even at a sunny match but so far I have only shot one with 3 MOA and only did about a dozen with the Viper 6 MOA.

Part of me wants to get a Venom 6 MOA b/c everyone says the 6 is the best. But then I have had some M tell me that they shoot something like 12 or 12.5 with a triangle dot. Then I get confused.

For now I think I will just try to get to B class in Carry Optics with my Venom 3 MOA and then if I want to go further from there invest in a CZ and high end optic. But for what I do, how often I do it and the limited budget I have... Venom's are a good choice. 

Before you sink any money into anything, go shoot a few matches.  The 6.5 MOA dot is damned near perfect for action pistol sports.  The auto-adjust feature in RMRs works very well outdoors.

IF you decide you want to buy something else, skip the manually-adjustable RMR and go straight to a 5 MOA SRO.  You'll thank me later.  BTW, the SRO has the same exact footprint as the RMR.

PS, "Type 2" does not mean an RMR has manually adjustable brightness.  It means the battery compartment and contacts have been redesigned to prevent loss of contact with the battery under the severe G forces that a slide-mounted optic is subjected to.  Yours could be an auto-adjust Type 2.

PPS, RMRs with manually-adjustable brightness also have an auto-brightness feature and that's what they default to when you turn them on.  Read the manual to understand how to switch between modes and how to lock modes.

Thanks for the thorough reply.

I was aware of the non auto adjust on type 2. I just really want the manual controls and while buying another I thought I would go for the upgraded version.

The SRO is very appealing. Unfortunately not many people shoot carry optics that I have seen at our matches, so I haven’t been able to fondle anything else yet.

I went the cheap but unlimited warranty route as I am just a C shooter in Carry Optics and do not invest a lot of time in it. However, I started with a Viper 6 MOA and liked it a lot but found some good deals on Venom's 3 MOA and liked how you can adjust them different from the Viper and how you didn't have to take the optic off to change the battery. 

For me, I have not noticed a big difference, even at a sunny match but so far I have only shot one with 3 MOA and only did about a dozen with the Viper 6 MOA.

Part of me wants to get a Venom 6 MOA b/c everyone says the 6 is the best. But then I have had some M tell me that they shoot something like 12 or 12.5 with a triangle dot. Then I get confused.

For now I think I will just try to get to B class in Carry Optics with my Venom 3 MOA and then if I want to go further from there invest in a CZ and high end optic. But for what I do, how often I do it and the limited budget I have... Venom's are a good choice. 

I love the Vortex brand, I use their glass on nearly all of my rifle builds.
I’ve also heard people say they use 12 MOA and have no issues.
I haven’t had a chance to shoot a match with mine yet as we have had our matches shut down since March and I just picked up this pistol. Maybe with all the down times that is why I’m even taking the time on something like this haha.

1 hour ago, Edwards30 said:

The SRO is very appealing. Unfortunately not many people shoot carry optics that I have seen at our matches, so I haven’t been able to fondle anything else yet.

I shoot CO with a CZ P-10F and an RMR.  I had the chance to dry fire a gun with an SRO on it.

Get the SRO.  There isn't a better slide-mounted pistol optic out there and its not even close.  Plus you're supporting an American company instead of supporting China.

I have SROs on both of my CO guns right now.  A 2.5 and a 5moa.  The small one feels more precise and the big one feels faster, but the timer shows the same numbers for either...

28 minutes ago, shred said:

I have SROs on both of my CO guns right now.  A 2.5 and a 5moa.  The small one feels more precise and the big one feels faster, but the timer shows the same numbers for either...

I was just reading on here some users complaining about the SRO having trouble with auto adjusting too low.  Have you had those issues?  

Get the SRO.  There isn't a better slide-mounted pistol optic out there and its not even close.  Plus you're supporting an American company instead of supporting China.

Yes, definitely don’t get another RMR for USPSA unless you are just using the matches for defense practice. The larger windows are helpful. I have DPP’s but that’s mainly because of price and the SRO wasn’t available when I started.

2 hours ago, OdinIII said:

Yes, definitely don’t get another RMR for USPSA unless you are just using the matches for defense practice.

If your grip is solid the RMR is hardly a handicap.  It's nowhere as tough to use as many make it seem.

That said, the bigger window the better.

3 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

If your grip is solid the RMR is hardly a handicap.  It's nowhere as tough to use as many make it seem.

That said, the bigger window the better.

It honestly seems my main handicap is just finding the sight each time.  I need to get a lot more reps on.  

I wonder if I might be better off taking off my front sight.  I find myself hunting for the front sight first out of instinct.

2 hours ago, Edwards30 said:

It honestly seems my main handicap is just finding the sight each time.  I need to get a lot more reps on.  

I wonder if I might be better off taking off my front sight.  I find myself hunting for the front sight first out of instinct.

Yes to more dry fire draws

Yes to dumping the front sight crutch.  Toss the rear sight as well while you have the tools out.

If I could, I'd like to bring this back to life with another question.

What is the correct way to measure to get the right size backup sights?  I've settled on the RMR for now and my Glock 34 slide was milled .150" deep for the RMR.

I'm just a little lost on how to measure as it seems not all suppressor sights are the same height.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 6:20 AM, stick said:

On my PCC's and my CO gun, I run 6moa dots.  On my steel challenge PCC, I run 12moa dot.

The only difference is how much the dot covers at distance.  I like the look of the 6 moa and I know where it hits at distance.

I switched to 12 MOA on my steel challenge guns, RFRO & PCCO, and I’m am glad I did. Going from 6 to 12 made it a lot easier to pick up the dot quicker and in sunny GA days it helps a lot. 

I have the 2.5 MOA SRO and it looks bigger than the Venom 3 MOA I had before. I played with a 5 MOA SRO and honestly I don't think there's any difference shooting the two outdoors. I've also shot some open guns with up to 12 MOA dots and I didn't feel like they were any faster or slower inside of 30 yards. I'd go with whichever you get a better deal on if you're putting it on a handgun. 

I have a slight astigmatism, so my 3.25 "blooms" and appears bigger than it actually is. I'm a "C" shooter in CO, so I don't shoot well enough for dot size to make a huge impact. That said, everyone I've talked to who has tried one says the SRO in 5.0 is the cat's pajamas.

LikeI'm kind of new to the dots Shooting, so I find that my holosun 507c has a 2 Moa Dot but also has a 32 MOA Circle, it also has a third setting that is the 2 MOA dot In a 32 MOA Circle.  Great Training for strong hand weak hand only shooting.

20200714_180849-1.jpg

Edited by usmc1974