Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Carry Optics Slide on a budget

Stafford

Thinking about giving Carry Optics a try, but don’t really want to buy an optics ready pistol or have a slide milled on one of my current guns. I’m thinking an Optics Ready aftermarket slide for my G17 gen 5 might be a good option.

Is there a budget friendly slide that I could use with my existing barrel and mount a red dot on at a decent price?

The more I look, it seems the Canik TP9SFX that comes with a Vortex is the only budget friendly option out there. 

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

You could always buy a mount for 30 or 40 dollars that replaces the rear sight

Seems like that was the first thing I looked into. But the consensus was that it wasn't stable, sits too high, and loses it's center too easily due to the mount. 

Your best solution IMO is to send your slide out to get cut. It will cost less than $100 at BattleWerx (I got my G26 Gen5 done there) and the turnaround time is less than 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, Gen5 options are limited and you're looking at over $300 if purchasing an optics ready slide.

Right now, I’m invested in Production class and want to stay there a while. But, I know I’ll end up moving toward a red dot at some point.

I’ve also considered picking up the new SCCY CPX-2 with the red dot. It would give me a cheap pistol at the range and a way to learn on red dots. And I could decide if I want to go that route our not.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

Seems like that was the first thing I looked into. But the consensus was that it wasn't stable, sits too high, and loses it's center too easily due to the mount. 

The ones i have seen and used worked fine though they do sit a touch higher than an mos type slide.  If people are having them move, they probably weren't installed correctly.  

Good luck 

see what brownells has in the way of pre-milled slides, not sure if midway does them.  you could always just buy a glock mos, $600 is relatively cheap and gives you another gun.  certainly for the $$, canik is a great value.

13 minutes ago, HCH said:

Put around 5000 rounds through a 17 with a dovetail mount. Never had a problem with it and made A class in CO pretty easy. 

So, just drop the rear sight and mount it and go? That’s sounding good to me.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

So, just drop the rear sight and mount it and go? That’s sounding good to me.

Yep. IIRC I used a Burris mount. I know I was running a FF3. 

It should also also be known that I don’t skimp on lock tite. 

I suppose a milled slide would be “better” as far as the optic being above one’s hand, but I think it still sits closer than a 320 x5 or a CZ. 

10 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

Your best solution IMO is to send your slide out to get cut. It will cost less than $100 at BattleWerx (I got my G26 Gen5 done there) and the turnaround time is less than 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, Gen5 options are limited and you're looking at over $300 if purchasing an optics ready slide.

I'll have to look into them. Would love a dot on a 26, unfortunately the people at Glock told me they have no plans to make a 26 mos.

I ran a EGW dovetail mount with a 7 MOA Docter on a G17L Open Major 9x19 for years with no issues. Sits a bit high but it is solid. After I stopped shooting Open, I just milled the G17 slides for the Docter. 

• 1 month later...

Ran the EGW dovetail plate in CO for 2 seasons with a Vortex Venom and had no issues.  Easy to install and held POA/POI.  Recently i build a Swenson G17gen3 slide that was milled for a Vortex RDS and have been very impressed with the fit and finish.  Came with front cocking serrations, assembled tight and the dot sits low to the slide - would recommend checking them out on Midway's website - picked mine up for under 170 bucks.

IMG_8661.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 1:52 PM, Stafford said:

I'm with the other two on this. I used an EGW dovetail mount for months and it never budged. I thought it would be an adjustment switching to MOS because it's lower but it shoots the exact same. I think most people who have issues with the mounts either don't use locktite, buy a cheap mount on Amazon, or just don't like how it looks.