Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap reliable pcc?

In the effort to get my 13 & 14 yrs old boys involved in USPSA with me, I'm considering a PCC for them since they show far more interest in that than a pistol.

I wouldn't need the lightest, most accurate anything. I would want the equivalent of a used G17 for production: reliable and cheap. It wouldn't get shot more than a couple thousand rounds a year.

The keltec sub2k, ruger pc carbine and the PSA AK come to mind. I've seen a hundred match-ending issues with an AR based PCC, so I'm simply not interested in that platform.

What advice do you have?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My PSA AKV is easily my most reliable gun. But... it's only pistol configuration so you'll need the taccom barrel extension or SBR to get a stock on it. This being said, it's really not that cheap.

My PSA AR9 has been reliable, with the main caveat, those glock mags (like any other) do not like getting dirty. That's the main source of problems

As with anything PSA, look for anything with a thread, undo it, loctite and torque it down.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:47 PM, Dad said:

Don't laugh, PSA.

I bought one last year and runs great

I have one of their lowers and it has been great.  Couple guys at my club run their uppers aswell and they are pretty nice.  One is on the verge of GM in Steel Challenge with his. 

I wouldn't hesitate to get one if they run them on sale again...they are often out of stock however.

I know you don't like the PSA ar9 but I have had good reliability with mine.  I ran it stock for quite a while and slowly upgraded to include a better trigger and hydraulic buffer.  I have now switched to a leadstar but still have the psa.  The only issue I ever had with it was wearing out the original trigger and it started to burst fire randomly.  Used the cheap ets mags in it as well. 

A PSA with a wiland barrel would be a pretty cheap and light weight setup.  

http://wilandusa.com/ar-pcc-llw-barrel-9mm/

as above, my PSA upper/NFA lower as a blow back ran for 2 1/2 years without a problem... has been updated to a radial delay

my observation is not the same as yours... most of the competitive guys are tinkering to get the least amount of dot movement, and sacrifice reliability for speed... they are the cause of the malfunction not the platform, and when they get it figured out, have a reliable platform on the AR, or they wouldn't use it

Edited by Les Snyder
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the replies.

I actually ended up being convinced that an AR platform pcc could be reliable.  It seems like most everyone on this forum with a PSA pcc has found it to be reliable.  I ended up ordering a 16" PSA upper and a PSA lower with Magpul furniture and polished trigger.  Together is was $550 with the black Friday deals.  I don't think I could have done it cheaper.  Since it's for my boys, getting them hooked is important and they need to think it looks cool.  With the AR platform I can swap out grips, buttstock and handguard easily if they don't like what it comes with.  The Ruger was going to be a lot more expensive if I got the chassis model, and the sub2000 would have been cheaper but was going to need help out of the box with the trigger.  And the sub2k just looks goofy, which means a lot to a 13 & 14 yr old.  The cz scorpion is as cool as it gets, but way more expensive.  and the PSA AKV would have been fun but more expensive, and I just don't know enough about them to spend the extra.  

If the boys start liking shooting pcc, the family ammo & match expenses are going to go through the roof!  And my time at the reloading bench too.  

I agree with the Foxtrot.  Just make sure you keep the ejector stable with the set screw.  More importantly IMO is finding a reliable bolt.  I've used, of all things, a hybrid Glock/Colt mag bolt from Pickett's Mill Armory, and it has worked with every trigger (from Geissele to POF to Rise to Hiperfire), barrel, upper, with dedicated 9mm lower and a 5.56 one with Stern Adapter.  With hydraulic buffers and regular ones, and hasn't broken trigger or firing pin.  It eats everything and not having any hangups has been key in several matches.  Have two of them and they run like champs.

Edited by MoRivera
7 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

the family ammo & match expenses are going to go through the roof!

Guy I know down here shares one pcc with himself and his 3 boys. So I can see why dead nuts reliability is a big concern. No kid likes performing malfunction drills.

This is your chance to get them into building the stages pre match to maybe get a match fee discount.  And picking up brass. And doing all the grunt work of reloading that's not actually pulling the handle. So many growth opportunities for them!

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Guy I know down here shares one pcc with himself and his 3 boys. So I can see why dead nuts reliability is a big concern. No kid likes performing malfunction drills.

This is your chance to get them into building the stages pre match to maybe get a match fee discount.  And picking up brass. And doing all the grunt work of reloading that's not actually pulling the handle. So many growth opportunities for them!

Don't forget loading mags between stages!

Anderson PCC. Low cost and I haven't had any issues at all.

I have one as well and it has never jammed on me in about 1k rounds, no cleaning. I’ve had mag issues with my MBX mega glock extension, but once I sorted that, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk