Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest

sauza45

Thumb Rest  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How many use a thumb rest

• Yes
    • No

I’ve only just started shooting an Open gun but I’ve experimented with it on and off for about 500 rounds. I like it more of an index point to set my ideal grip, more so than a leverage point that greatly impacts muzzle rise. Yes some leverage is applied that plays some impact to muzzle rise but for me so far it’s a nice index. I used to shoot a TSO in Limited which has the thumb rest where I’ve fired 10 times that many rounds so it’s also familiar for me. 

A thumb-rest gives you less muzzle rise and let’s you track the dot without it disappearing, the older guys that swear by not using them are the same guys that refuse to drive an auto dragracing car, and say stick is better. A thumb rest has many many advantages with zero disadvantages! 
more weight on the pistole = less felt recoil impulse, also gives you good grip you’re hands are locked In, index point it will give you the same grip everytime you draw the gun, recoil control, gives you’re gun more reliability also because it stops you’re thumb from riding on the slide which would slow down the slide and cause a malfunction.
like said above if you can use it, do it’s a huge advantage.  

I didn't vote but I have tried the thumb rest and it was not for me. It looks like a lot of people like them, just not for me. My grip I have my thumbs straight forward

and the thumb rest didn't work, I keep driving the gun because I was trying to get my thumb pointed forward. I have tried 3 different angles for the rests. 

So I am would have to vote no now.

15 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

I didn't vote but I have tried the thumb rest and it was not for me. It looks like a lot of people like them, just not for me. My grip I have my thumbs straight forward

and the thumb rest didn't work, I keep driving the gun because I was trying to get my thumb pointed forward. I have tried 3 different angles for the rests. 

So I am would have to vote no now.

I also struggled with the vertical thumb position.  Despite the fact that the GoGun is the primary feature responsible for multiple national championships, it didn't work for me.  I finally found the IPSC Alex rest.  It allows a more thumbs forward position that feels like my natural grip.  I have one on 3 Open guns. YMMV 

BTW: If you are shooting the So. Florida section match this weekend, you are welcome to check it out

Edited by Balakay

Having tried several ( Go Gun, RHT Arredondo, etc.) I now prefer the Akai.  It feels natural and is a great reference point.  I tried an RHT on my CZ TS Limited pistol and took it off.  It was too small and my thumb was interfering with slide action.

When I first started shooting I took a course, Hand gun shooting 101, the grip was of major importance. The proper way was to extend the weak hand wrist and lock it over with thumbs pointing toward the target. This gave you a lot of control over recoil and muzzle flip. How can you achieve this using a thumb rest? Can a thumb rest provide this type of control?

My new open gun has a rest and I like it better.  Was a little "on the fence" about it initially but its so much easier to index the thumb, and helps control the recoil.  My vote is yes for sure.  

These things didn't exist, when I decided to take a 10 year hiatus, so when I bought an Open gun last year,  I wondered what the darned thing was.  I've learned to like it, although I don't think it's improved my shooting.

• 1 month later...

I use one on limited and open. Granted it’s a Honcho so it’s the same gun more or less. I use it as a point of reference so I can grip the gun the exact same way every time. 

Most people will use the nitro fin in there limited gun as they don’t have holes tapped in the frame for a thumb rest/optic mount. So the nitro fin is what they get

On 12/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, Hockeycor22 said:

I use one on limited and open. Granted it’s a Honcho so it’s the same gun more or less. I use it as a point of reference so I can grip the gun the exact same way every time. 

Most people will use the nitro fin in there limited gun as they don’t have holes tapped in the frame for a thumb rest/optic mount. So the nitro fin is what they get

Can I ask which rest you run on the Honcho? Pic?

4 hours ago, inertia said:

Can I ask which rest you run on the Honcho? Pic?

I run the go gun *thumb rest [generic]* open version. I got it from Atlas and got a spacer for it for when I run open. So for open it’s the optic mount and *thumb rest [generic]*. For limited it the *thumb rest [generic]* with the spacer so it dosent rub the slide. Pics to follow below

9F4E5A50-2127-402D-BE25-CFB281BFA01E.jpeg

I never understood how close the thumb rests were, going on the same context as what slide4949 said:

On 11/19/2019 at 6:38 AM, Slide4949 said:

When I first started shooting I took a course, Hand gun shooting 101, the grip was of major importance. The proper way was to extend the weak hand wrist and lock it over with thumbs pointing toward the target. This gave you a lot of control over recoil and muzzle flip. How can you achieve this using a thumb rest? Can a thumb rest provide this type of control?

so I found this from Roy Neal, a knurled rest, he's a member here on be.com  It allowed me to place it as far forward as I liked.  It may even be one more hole forward now (based on the holes in the site mount), this is from a picture taken two years ago and i don't have my gun in front of me to verify.

image.png.92fa3a367ed050eee02ff7e47a891daf.png

Edited by Glk21C

7 hours ago, Hockeycor22 said:

I run the go gun *thumb rest [generic]* open version. I got it from Atlas and got a spacer for it for when I run open. So for open it’s the optic mount and *thumb rest [generic]*. For limited it the *thumb rest [generic]* with the spacer so it dosent rub the slide. Pics to follow below

9F4E5A50-2127-402D-BE25-CFB281BFA01E.jpeg

Thanks! Up high there I see. PT has re-released thumb rest slide stop so I am going to try that first but if that's not right for me I may go this direction.

9 hours ago, inertia said:

Thanks! Up high there I see. PT has re-released thumb rest slide stop so I am going to try that first but if that's not right for me I may go this direction.

I tried the slide stop one and it wasn’t for me. My frame was already tapped so I had the ability to choose between a few. Do you have a Honcho?