Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
sauza45

Thumb Rest

Thumb Rest  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’ve only just started shooting an Open gun but I’ve experimented with it on and off for about 500 rounds. I like it more of an index point to set my ideal grip, more so than a leverage point that greatly impacts muzzle rise. Yes some leverage is applied that plays some impact to muzzle rise but for me so far it’s a nice index. I used to shoot a TSO in Limited which has the thumb rest where I’ve fired 10 times that many rounds so it’s also familiar for me. 

I use a thumbrest in any division allowed. Repeatable index point for the hand. And it’s just more comfortable to me, especially on an open gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thumb-rest gives you less muzzle rise and let’s you track the dot without it disappearing, the older guys that swear by not using them are the same guys that refuse to drive an auto dragracing car, and say stick is better. A thumb rest has many many advantages with zero disadvantages! 
more weight on the pistole = less felt recoil impulse, also gives you good grip you’re hands are locked In, index point it will give you the same grip everytime you draw the gun, recoil control, gives you’re gun more reliability also because it stops you’re thumb from riding on the slide which would slow down the slide and cause a malfunction.
like said above if you can use it, do it’s a huge advantage.  

I'm actually getting a nitrofin for my open gun and an svi extra wide left for the safety! I like having big shelves for my thumbs!

RHT rest works great on my Open pistol. Not the same positive results on my Limited pistol. Unclear as to why but I have theories...

I didn't vote but I have tried the thumb rest and it was not for me. It looks like a lot of people like them, just not for me. My grip I have my thumbs straight forward

and the thumb rest didn't work, I keep driving the gun because I was trying to get my thumb pointed forward. I have tried 3 different angles for the rests. 

So I am would have to vote no now.

15 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

I didn't vote but I have tried the thumb rest and it was not for me. It looks like a lot of people like them, just not for me. My grip I have my thumbs straight forward

and the thumb rest didn't work, I keep driving the gun because I was trying to get my thumb pointed forward. I have tried 3 different angles for the rests. 

So I am would have to vote no now.

I also struggled with the vertical thumb position.  Despite the fact that the GoGun is the primary feature responsible for multiple national championships, it didn't work for me.  I finally found the IPSC Alex rest.  It allows a more thumbs forward position that feels like my natural grip.  I have one on 3 Open guns. YMMV 

BTW: If you are shooting the So. Florida section match this weekend, you are welcome to check it out

Edited by Balakay

I have tried 1 at 60* 30* and 25* I had the 30 and 25 custom made still did not like them.

Edited by sauza45

Having tried several ( Go Gun, RHT Arredondo, etc.) I now prefer the Akai.  It feels natural and is a great reference point.  I tried an RHT on my CZ TS Limited pistol and took it off.  It was too small and my thumb was interfering with slide action.

Everytime I shoot a pistol now without one it feels bizzare at best and almost impossible at worse.......

I’ve tried a few. It’s really like finding a holster lol. You have to experiment a little for what’s good. I’ve landed and love the Limcat Wedge for my open gun. Really natural for me. 

When I first started shooting I took a course, Hand gun shooting 101, the grip was of major importance. The proper way was to extend the weak hand wrist and lock it over with thumbs pointing toward the target. This gave you a lot of control over recoil and muzzle flip. How can you achieve this using a thumb rest? Can a thumb rest provide this type of control?

My new open gun has a rest and I like it better.  Was a little "on the fence" about it initially but its so much easier to index the thumb, and helps control the recoil.  My vote is yes for sure.