Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Midwest3Gunner said:

I was set on a Honcho, but this is an attractive option, cheaper, no mag tuning, and the CZ ergos really fit my hand well. Hopefully holster options are decent, I'd really like a Safariland 6390. I'd be upgrading from a Glock. I dont really see this as a solution to a nonexistent problem IMO, it's just a cool new gun. New designs/ engineering is really exciting after only seeing the same thing time after time.

Sadly I doubt we'll see a 6390 or much of anything out of safariland for this if their support for other CZs is anything to go off of. (ALS for my SP01 please)

4 minutes ago, NumberWords879 said:

Sadly I doubt we'll see a 6390 or much of anything out of safariland for this if their support for other CZs is anything to go off of. (ALS for my SP01 please)

Yeah, I kind of figured as much. One can always hope haha. Longs Shadow Holsters is probably going to make a Crestone L2 for it and that's probably what I'm going to get. I just really like the ALS vs any type of hood.

23 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Ah, so this is where all the other DWX threads vanished to.

I know this specific gun is for Limited, but I hope they release some alternate versions. I want to see threaded barrels/compensators and optics.

It seems like they could make this into an interesting 3 gun open gun/USPSA open gun without too much effort.

I could see that happening sometime late next year or early 2021. Probably feel out the market with the Limited version first to see how the overall reception is then roll out other variants.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:58 PM, avastcosmicarena said:

Ah, so this is where all the other DWX threads vanished to.

I know this specific gun is for Limited, but I hope they release some alternate versions. I want to see threaded barrels/compensators and optics.

It seems like they could make this into an interesting 3 gun open gun/USPSA open gun without too much effort.

I’d bet money you could find a current 2011 optic mount that would fit the DWX without modification like it was made for it. Just remove the iron sights and drill and tap the frame.

Shouldn't take long after it’s available on the market for threaded barrels to start being made by aftermarket manufacturers as well

For those of you who don't get it, I have often felt that way about a LOT of different guns that are released....this isn't one of them.  Because I already own a TS that I've mangled and beaten, I won't be able to get one of these until the TS stops running, which I'm guessing will happen around 50 years from now.  Had this gun been out 5 years ago, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought.  Of course, it has zero track record and will have to be absolutely flawless in its reliability to approach TS status, but if it is, I don't know why anyone would run a 2011 in limited ever again.  Cheaper gun, better grip, cheaper AND more reliable mags.   This thing looks like a win from every angle to me IF it runs.

I experienced a moment of terror when I didn’t see a pic rail on the compact model, then calmed back down when they said “Railed and non-railed models will be available...”

This is really, really smart of them. Release a fullsize gun for competition/duty, and a compact model that has identical ergonomics/trigger pull/construction for people to use for CCW so all the guns one might want or need are essentially the same platform. Great move CZ/DW!

I think what excites me most about these guns isn’t so much specifically the guns themselves, but the general concept of a company grafting a 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls onto a double-stack frame that uses magazines from another popular pistol that the company already makes.

Imagine S&W, Sig, hell even Glock designing similar all-metal pistols that use the 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls, but feed from the double stack magazines from their popular striker-fired duty pistols. A double-stack 1911 that takes P320 mags would be absolutely irresistible to me

36 minutes ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

I think Dan Wessons are made in New York? So hopefully there won't be the import delay/ odd batch problems the TSO has. (Sorry about the hyperlink, on mobile and dont know how to get rid of it. )

Yeah, but who knows how it will work... Frames will still be made in Czech I'm sure and who knows what other parts will be as well.

1 hour ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Yeah, but who knows how it will work... Frames will still be made in Czech I'm sure and who knows what other parts will be as well.

upper from  good  sae 4140 steel and frame  from cz  .Skoda mixed with Fiat? 😀

1 hour ago, yigal said:

upper from  good  sae 4140 steel and frame  from cz  .Skoda mixed with Fiat? 😀

3 hours ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Only thing from czech here is an extractor spring and pin, slide stop spring, the s2 rear sight on the full size, and the mags (but really those are from Italy😉)

Eta: frames are cut from forgings like all dan wesson 1911 frames

Edited by Ajohnson15

4 minutes ago, Ajohnson15 said:

Only thing from czech here is an extractor spring and pin, the s2 rear sight on the full size, and the mags (but really those are from Italy😉)

Eta: frames are cut from forgings like all dan wesson 1911 frames

Interesting, I would have thought they would be cast like other CZ frames. 

I shoot both CZ and 2011 platforms. I believe this will be a great gun for newish, slightly seasoned shooters. The benefits of this is: price point for a well made blaster, much cheaper mags that won't require a lot of tuning, and ergos. I am into each of my 2011 mags at least $90 but more around $110. Using existing CZ mags for $35 and figure around another $40 for extensions and guts. Once I get to shoot one, and reliability has been put to the test, I may abandon the 2011.