Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Y’all are missing the point that this pistol is intended to be used for more than just competition shooting. People will buy these for either duty or CCW, and most people tend to want rails on their duty/CCW guns for lights and lasers

I wouldn’t be using this pistol for CCW due to its size and weight. If that’s the case, I would rather use my shadow 2 since it also has a rail for mounting a light and laser and also lighter and smaller.

3 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Based on the pictures of the barrel hood, I imagine they went with the Glock-style top block locking lugs.

The best current comparison to a pistol with the same feature set as the DWX would be the Phoenix Trinity Honcho;

https://ptrinity.com/product-category/honcho/

The Honcho utilizes PT’s EVO grip, which they claim was designed to give a 2011 the same grip profile as a CZ75. Also using a linkless Glock-style barrel lock, and maintaining the 1911/2011 style trigger mechanism. What Dan Wesson has done is to introduce an $1,800 MSRP production version of the Honcho

I'm curious how it works too.

Edited by 858

The Evo grip does not feel like a CZ to me.  Cheely's e2 grip is way closer.  I have a full race CZ TS with grip reduction, slide lightening and CWG internals.  I'm tempted to put it up for sale to buy one of these.  I build my own 1911s and 2011s so this would be easy to mod, or repair.

29 minutes ago, George16 said:

I wouldn’t be using this pistol for CCW due to its size and weight. If that’s the case, I would rather use my shadow 2 since it also has a rail for mounting a light and laser and also lighter and smaller.

You might not, that doesn’t mean others won’t use it for non-competition purposes though. And since they’re offering both a fullsize and compact model of the gun, it’s pretty clear Dan Wesson doesn’t expect these to just be range toys either.

It is my absolute belief that the traditionally strict delineation between “competition-only” and “duty-only” pistols needs to be abolished as quickly as possible. Everything that will make this pistol great in competition will give it a similar edge in a defensive setting.

I’d love to see the compact version be about G19ish sized, with a threaded barrel and optics-ready slide milling

On 10/21/2019 at 6:18 PM, Rudukai13 said:

Good to see a manufacturer trying something new/innovative.

I remember when high caps first hit the ipsc/ uspsa scene, Team Colt shooter Jerry Barnhart had Wilson Combat cut/weld up a frame to take Tanfoglio / Springfield Armory P-9 mags...the next year his colt slide was on top an early tripp frame

So what is old is new again... 

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

You might not, that doesn’t mean others won’t use it for non-competition purposes though. And since they’re offering both a fullsize and compact model of the gun, it’s pretty clear Dan Wesson doesn’t expect these to just be range toys either.

It is my absolute belief that the traditionally strict delineation between “competition-only” and “duty-only” pistols needs to be abolished as quickly as possible. Everything that will make this pistol great in competition will give it a similar edge in a defensive setting.

I’d love to see the compact version be about G19ish sized, with a threaded barrel and optics-ready slide milling

Your answer greatly aligns with your way of thinking and philosophy with regards to duty  and tactical pistols as demonstrated with your P320 project. I applaud you for that.

i don’t mind getting the compact version to see how it stacks up against my Sig P226 SAO.

I currently have several 1911s, including a double stack and a CZ 75 TS. I like the TS better as a double stack but prefer my 1911 trigger. This is a good answer to that problem. Not big on rails but I imagine they will offer it without the rail and if not....   Well I have an angle grinder and a belt sander. :D

Some people: I don't like the rails! They look dumb!

Some other people: I do like the rails! They're tactical!

Both are perfectly valid opinions, but I'll throw one out there that's somewhere between the two of them: I wouldn't really see much of a point on a .40 that's only going be used for USPSA Limited, but for a 9 mm that's going to be used in 3 gun, I am violently pro-rail. They're not super-common, but night matches happen often enough that I'm a fan of being able to mount a light. It's kind of pain right now, because I shoot a TSO for everything except those night matches, and I have to switch to something else. Especially since the night-time stuff tends to show up as a side event, I'd have to bring two sets of pistols, mags, holsters, etc. to a match, which is a pain. I'll gladly accept the janky aesthetics on a USPSA gun in exchange for that flexibility.

Between that and the cheaper magazines, it doesn't quite bring enough to the table for me to dump my TSO for this, but it is enough that that I'd probably have bought one of these instead if they'd existed a couple of years ago.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, Superpipe9 said:

Sucks that the 40 caliber mags can only hold 15. I don’t think you would be able to get 21 rounds with extensions and stay under the 140mm 

I think flush fix 2011 mags (126mm) only hold 15 .40s.  I heard that 21 is possible with a 140mm. 

I can see myself scooping one of these up if I ever sway from production.  Matt Hopkins posted a video on Facebook of it in .40 with a henning spring / base pad combo.  Not sure what the capacity will be with the factory mags and base pads.  

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, 858 said:

All I see going for it is cheap mags. Otherwise I'd rather have a built 2011 or a TSO. Mixing a 2011 with a CZ75 is a big waste.

Not at that price point.  It's hard to get a 2011 in that price range.   If it has a 1911 trigger, and a more ergonomic grip, then that is a big improvement over a TSO. 

Question for the guys that are saying they want one.

Im ALL for just buying guns because you want it.  However, at the current state of my life, newly married, new house, trying to do the right thing financially etc, I find myself justifying purchases of firearms based upon some perceived "need" or use category.

For those of you that want this pistol.  What do you intend to do with it?  I dont really see this out classing a 2011 in limited.  I do see it as another option which is kinda cool but man, there's a HUGE uphill battle there considering how effective the 2011 is at this point.  I see the bonus in this pistol as being its mags that wont require tuning.

For the compact variant, its not my cup of tea as i dont prefer to carry steel firearms.  Perhaps there will be an alloy frame down the road but for now, we are going with what we know in that its a steel frame.  So, once again, im not sure what the point of the compact pistol will be.  If YOU like to carry steel guns, rock on brothers but the real question that I have is does DW think that there's enough market demand for an oddball non 1911 steel carry gun??

I love new firearms and im glad to see this come, im just scratching my head slightly.

16 minutes ago, Magsz said:

Im ALL for just buying guns because you want it.  However, at the current state of my life, newly married, new house, trying to do the right thing financially etc, I find myself justifying purchases of firearms based upon some perceived "need" or use category.

For those of you that want this pistol.  What do you intend to do with it?  I dont really see this out classing a 2011 in limited.  I do see it as another option which is kinda cool but man, there's a HUGE uphill battle there considering how effective the 2011 is at this point.  I see the bonus in this pistol as being its mags that wont require tuning.

For the compact variant, its not my cup of tea as i dont prefer to carry steel firearms.  Perhaps there will be an alloy frame down the road but for now, we are going with what we know in that its a steel frame.  So, once again, im not sure what the point of the compact pistol will be.  If YOU like to carry steel guns, rock on brothers but the real question that I have is does DW think that there's enough market demand for an oddball non 1911 steel carry gun??

I love new firearms and im glad to see this come, im just scratching my head slightly.

I prefer to carry steel guns.  If we can get a threaded barrel for it, then it can fill a "duty gun" niche with my suppressors.

I have this niche filled right now with an sti tactical with optic and threaded barrel, but I'm open to a backup for this niche.

42 minutes ago, Magsz said:

The compact is alloy framed

Edited by Ajohnson15

12 hours ago, Magsz said:

this design looks good. 

my limited 2021 Bul  don't require mag tuning too. and the price is almost the same.

Personally I don't see any  super special features of this DWX model on the regular  2011  model only after i will check it.

Edited by yigal

2 hours ago, Magsz said:

I dont really see this out classing a 2011 in limited. 

Think again.  I'm a dyed in the wool 1911/2011 lover.  I build both.  I also have a full race CZ TS.  My TS is the superior Limited gun, for the following reasons.  The bore sits lower in your hand so muzzle rise is automatically less, leading to faster splits.  The mags hold 20 with stock guts and the CZC extended bases, or 21 reloadable with the CZC springs and followers.  The do not need tuning.  Slide weight is lower leading to faster action speed and a quicker return of the sights.  It feels better, although things like the new Cheely e2 grip are getting really close.  The TS is better balanced than a 2011 with a poly grip. That's how most of them are run.  Yes you can put a $650 steel grip on a 2011.  So what.

It remains to be seen whether this hybrid can say the same.  If it really is a 1911 slide on 1911 rails, that eliminates much of the TS/TSO advantage.