Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you adopted the action shooter uniform -- consciously or unconsciously?

Hotchkiss

Have you adopted the action shooter uniform -- either consciously or unconsciously when you shoot events like 3Gun, Rimfire Challenge, Steel Challenge, USPSA, etc?  Most of the pieces come I suspect from what functions the best?  However some seems to come from wanting to look like the pros and/or wanting to fit in?  In my experience the uniform consists of:

- Ball cap or trucker's cap.  Little sun protection, but they do allow the wearing of ears which is good.

- Short-sleeved "shooter's jersey" with as much advertisement on it as possible.

- If it's cold out, a long-sleeved layer under one's shooter's jersey.

- Tactical trousers or shorts.  The more pockets the better.

- Knife clipped in pocket.

- Sundry kicks and socks.

Edited by Hotchkiss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

What about shooting gloves?

and wtf are 'sundry kicks' ?

Well, eyes and ears are a given -- but you're right, it can even get fancy there too, particularly with the glasses.

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

another weak trolling effort. C-class fo' life

Actually you appear to be the troll...

I asked an honest question and you had to be rude about things.  Psychological projection on your part?  Either way, that's on you.

Edited by Hotchkiss

39 minutes ago, Hotchkiss said:

Actually you appear to be the troll...

I asked an honest question and you had to be rude about things.  Psychological projection on your part?  Either way, that's on you.

whatever. 

serious question fashionista, do you even shoot USPSA? You seem more concerned with the clothing/ glove choices of others than actual shooting. If you want to rock an urban sombrero, tactical kilt and fingerless gloves, go for it. I guess it is the air of condescension in your posts that irritates people (like me).  So if you  really have shooting related gear questions, gloves or otherwise, maybe change tactics.  Your strategy right now isn't working

20 hours ago, Balakay said:

whatever. 

serious question fashionista, do you even shoot USPSA? You seem more concerned with the clothing/ glove choices of others than actual shooting. If you want to rock an urban sombrero, tactical kilt and fingerless gloves, go for it. I guess it is the air of condescension in your posts that irritates people (like me).  So if you  really have shooting related gear questions, gloves or otherwise, maybe change tactics.  Your strategy right now isn't working

Edited by echotango

No I have not adopted the action shooter uniform, mostly because I don't want people thinking I'm pretending to be a professional shooter. 

I do consistently dress with what works for me in USPSA, 3-Gun, and Steel Challenge and have for 20+ years.  Top down: A white or very light colored Dri-Fit jogging/baseball cap.  A couple of years ago I finally switched to a pair of dedicated performance shooting glasses and realized I should have done it a long time ago.  I wear a loose fitting white short sleeve wicking type performance type tee shirt under a long sleeved white dress shirt, usually a Van Heusen or Arrow.  The long sleeved white shirt gives me good sun protection and the wicking tee shirt underneath keeps me cool even on very hot days and is replaceable nation wide in less than an hour for $12.99 at any Ross, or similar clothing store.  No tighty whiteys for me, again I wear wicking performance boxer/briefs.  If I'm shooting a pistol only match I generally wear a pair of Dickies loose fit Khaki work pants. If I'm shooting a 3-Gun match I wear a pair of loose fitting Khaki cargo pants for the side pockets.   A pair of cotton high top tube socks and a pairof gray or black Solomon Speed Cross shoes.

If I'm feeling especially sporty I will occasionally wear a bowtie, just for a little added color.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

I appreciate it immensely when a really good shooter wears a shirt

with his/her NAME on the shirt.

Since I'm familiar with many of the top names, but not their faces, 

I get to add to my knowledge base by associating great shooters'

names/faces.

And I enjoy watching them shoot - and talking to them..

I embarrassed myself the one Nat'ls I attended when I

introduced myself to one of the Greats - but I thoroughly

enjoyed the few minutes he gave me - very generous of

him.

I congratulated myself, later, on NOT bothering Rob Leatham,

as much as I really wanted to ….    :) 

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

You HAVE to see there is a trend with the OP’s threads right? 

12 hours ago, Balakay said:

whatever. 

You're nothing but a troll...  I just updated my ignored users/trolls list...  Bu-bye...

Edited by Hotchkiss

Listen up guys, just because you see something posted that you can't see the reason for, does not mean that you can dump on the post or poster. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why are you posting? 

He asked a valid question. Just because you don't see the point of it does not make it any less valid. 

I do have a club jersey, with my first name on the back, club logos, IPSC logo, national flag etc.

At the latest Match, I was in a pre-match with the mostly local crew:

- Red running shirt, with a dark blue long sleeved undershirt under it (it was getting colder)

- Windbreaker, when not actually shooting

- Pants with thigh pockets (too cool for the palm tree figured shorts)

- Cap (sunshade... Oh please don't let it rain any more on my glasses!)

- Light leather ankle boots with grippy enough soles

When people saw me shoot they certainly noticed I'm no Grand Master,

32 minutes ago, shred said:

Adopted?  We developed and evolved it-- those of us that have been shooting 20+ years.  Look at some old videos to see what used to be the hotness. 

Trucker hat, jeans and flannel ?? Leather belt and holster and single stack gun with a comp and a dot?? lol