Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you adopted the action shooter uniform -- consciously or unconsciously?

Hotchkiss

I do wear the jerseys but got most of them because I ro’d a major match. I also like the material. They seem to wick water away pretty well and keep me cooler on hot days. Plus I like looking sporty. I’m seriously thinking about selling my SVI just so I can get another one with more bling. My motto is “ Even if I can’t shoot good, I’m going to at least look good”.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, USC93 said:

How do you like it?  Thought about buying one.  Enjoy the guy’s memes and would like to support him.

I like it. It’s just a T-shirt but the printing is well done and I like having my name on the back, makes it easy for the scorekeeper. 😎

On 10/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, Jim Watson said:

I don't have a sponsor for USPSA and I don't pay for logo wear to advertise somebody's product.  If you see me with a billboard shirt or cap you may be sure it was free.

+1

I wear a shirt with our club logo on it and a pair of jeans.

Shooting glasses that have my prescription and a ball cap.

Since my wife shoots, a wagon comes in  handy for 2 bags and 2 water bottles.

I think over the years we settle on what is comfortable what works.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Normally wear a shirt I got from another match. My shorts and pants are Duluth of the same style so the belt loops are the same. If I wear a hat it’s either a wool Filson (winter) or a Tilly (summer). Salomon shoes. However I do have a match jersey for bigger matches, but it’s all friends.

I consciously take efforts NOT to wear any “pro” garments. In and outside of range. My opinion is that these “sponsors” are having advertisements for free by not paying me for it. So why should I wear them? Im not a Pro by any means. 

• 3 months later...

So when I signed up for USPSA membership I used one of the discount coupons to buy a jersey, but after shooting a dozen or so lackluster matches I don't plan on wearing it any time soon. I am surprised that nobody mentioned Boombahs, I see nearly as many Boombahs as I do Soloman's at matches in FLA.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:14 PM, Racinready300ex said:

On 10/11/2019 at 2:14 PM, Racinready300ex said:

Trucker hat, jeans and flannel ?? Leather belt and holster and single stack gun with a comp and a dot?? lol

No comp or dot !

Answered question from page one

• 3 months later...

It's interesting how Salomon shoes have taken off.  Here too.  Not sure why?  Comfort?  Fit?  Traction?  Cool/fitting-in factor?  I never really seem to get a straight answer.  Certainly not price or durability based on my own experience.   For the most part, I prefer New Balance.

16 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

It's interesting how Salomon shoes have taken off.  Here too.  Not sure why?  Comfort?  Fit?  Traction?  Cool/fitting-in factor?  I never really seem to get a straight answer.  Certainly not price or durability based on my own experience.   For the most part, I prefer New Balance.

I have a pair of Boombah Hellcats and a pair of Solomon something or other that I got on sale for $60, but they're the kind you actually have to tie...so

The difference to me was three weeks breaking in the Boombah's and literally putting the Solomon's on and going.  Traction and comfort were my deciding factors.  Now, would I pay double for Solomons, not likely...but I'd buy another sale pair for sure.

9 hours ago, clw42 said:

I have a pair of Boombah Hellcats and a pair of Solomon something or other that I got on sale for $60, but they're the kind you actually have to tie...so

The difference to me was three weeks breaking in the Boombah's and literally putting the Solomon's on and going.  Traction and comfort were my deciding factors.  Now, would I pay double for Solomons, not likely...but I'd buy another sale pair for sure.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!! 

On 10/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Listen up guys, just because you see something posted that you can't see the reason for, does not mean that you can dump on the post or poster. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why are you posting? 

He asked a valid question. Just because you don't see the point of it does not make it any less valid. 

Thanks for your support.  Once the trolls left, I ended-up getting some really good input.  Thanks again.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:22 AM, BoyGlock said:

I consciously take efforts NOT to wear any “pro” garments. In and outside of range. My opinion is that these “sponsors” are having advertisements for free by not paying me for it. So why should I wear them? Im not a Pro by any means. 

Yeah, I hear you!  I know a guy that went to one of those custom on-line custom  jersey companies and had a terrifically sarcastic jersey made up.  Holland & Holland, Purdey, Korth and Kynoch are his sponsors, along with others.  Most don't give it a second thought.  About 1 in 10 or so will stop and study it and begin asking about it.

I have adopted a "uniform" in a way, that I have certain shorts/pants and shirts I wear for competition for specific reasons.  Where to the belt loop on my shorts and pants line up in regards to my holster rig.  Are the belt loops too wide and affect how much surface area is available for the Velcro to attach.  For me I need a shirt that breathes.  From the looks of it many other shooters seem to wear the same gear from week to week, sponsored or not, and are probably wearing what they are wearing for a reason.

I wear 5.11 shorts and pants.  I especially like their shorts in that the 5.11 shorts breath exceptionally well, have very skinny belt loops and the loops are in the perfect locations to allow the gun belt to make the most of the Velcro attachment from the inner to outer belt.  The belt loops on the 5.11 pants I wear are a little wider than I would like but the pants work and breath.  They are especially handy in Carbine matches with the pocket layout.  I wear Duluth non collared shirt because they breath better than cotton shirts.  All of them in lighter colors as to reflect as much sun as possible.  Ball cap is a must for me.

I wear Salomon shoes, but a cheaper version of what everyone else seems to be wearing.  The tread on the soles is a little less aggressive, but shoes have not held my shooting back.  I have a pair of Kline hiking shoes that are very light with aggressive tread for wet or snowy conditions.  They tend to hold water out for longer and the form of the shoe holds up better when wet than the Salomon do.  

For me, I "Lucked" into much of what I wear which is very comfortable.  Maybe some of what I have learned by luck can help other new shooters.

I agree with Sarge on Nike.  They will not be seeing any of my money anytime soon.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I wear flip flops and my beach sombrero which has a stretch brim that I pull down over my muffs. Long sleeved t-shirt in a green or blue to minimize light bounce, and cargo shorts by carhart because I can stuff about eight Glock mags in each. Sometimes I run mandals/chonklas made by Keen. 
When it’s cooler I run a pocketless, or standard rip stop lightweight trouser with hiking or trail running minimalist lace-ups and a brown boogie/fishing cap crammed up under my muffs. Wrap-around polarized sunglasses.

In the cooler season I run a rosin bag in the rear for extra mag storage.

No fashion. Just utility. I’m stuck in 2007

Had to add I live where it’s dry and hot, 110 common in the summer with single digit humidity. 

I don’t really like sunscreen products so I m pretty much dressing like you would to be in intense sunlight and dry heat.

The places I shoot will be milder but very sunny as well. If it’s breezy I just pull my sombrero strap tight.

Edited by JimmyZip