Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you adopted the action shooter uniform -- consciously or unconsciously?

Hotchkiss

6 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

Why do you have to act rude/childish?

I received a number of good inputs on my question and I appreciate it.  Yet a handful just had to be rude/childish.  Just why is that?  This isn't AR15.com or CalGuns.net.  BE has always (and I have been coming here for nearly 10 years) a place of learning and good information exchange.  If you can't contribute to a specific thread, why not simply skip it?

That may not be an attack. The Doodie Project is another competition shooting board I've seen, somewhat irreverent. 

To the sports hoodies, how does that work in the summer? Wouldn't that be a bit suffocating? Am I missing something? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

The only issue with wide brimmed hats is that it limi9ts your hearing protection options somewhat.

Been wearing one of these last few months. Only down side so far is I use to take earmuffs off while scoring or pasting targets because the muffs are hot and I can't now without taking the whole hat off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earmuff-Compatible-Hat-Breeze-Mesh-Gusset-Newcastle-Hats-Wide-Broad-Brim-Unisex/123310053553

On 10/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, Zincwarrior said:

The only issue with wide brimmed hats is that it limi9ts your hearing protection options somewhat.

Yeah, I agree.  I almost always double-up too.  Plus, those ears that go around the back of the neck rather than over the top of one's head tend to be uncomfortable.

Someone said they wear a wide-brimmed hat except when they are actually at the line.  I think I might start doing that too.

Now to find a warm hat for the winter that provides at least a bit of UV protection.  Maybe I'll grab an Irish Walking Hat?

Irish Walking Hat Moss Green Salt and Pepper.jpg

19 hours ago, Bosshoss said:

Been wearing one of these last few months. Only down side so far is I use to take earmuffs off while scoring or pasting targets because the muffs are hot and I can't now without taking the whole hat off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earmuff-Compatible-Hat-Breeze-Mesh-Gusset-Newcastle-Hats-Wide-Broad-Brim-Unisex/123310053553

Hey, that's really cool!

1 hour ago, Hotchkiss said:

Hey, that's really cool!

Agreed. I had an idea about cutting slots into a hat like this.  Insane minds think alike!

This one, when you go to the website itself has the option for an optional neckflap.

https://www.insideoutsafety.com.au/product/earmuff-breeze-hat/

Edited by Zincwarrior

I thought about getting a nice shooting jersey but can’t get past the 90+ price tag. I can get a moisture wicking T-shirt at Walmart for $10. I also feel if you have a fancy jersey, ppl expect a certain level of performance out of ya. 
I did just grab a “go fast don’t suck” shirt with my name on the back. Easier for the RO’s to verify they have the correct shooter. 
Shorts 90% of the year, knock off trail running shoes. 
I always wear a hat but also keeps my brass off my head. 

Edited by Malarky112

The price of Techwear is out of hand, in my opinion.  I wear a golf polo most of the time, the Nike Victory is a great shirt that stays cool and keeps a little sun off your neck.

Pretty much the rest of it is dead on though.  Instead of saying sundry kicks, you can narrow that down to Solomon's.  Can swing a dead cat at most of the matches I was at this year without getting fur on some dude's Speedcross.

You guys thinking about big hats need to look into in-ear hearing protection.  It makes you free to wear a giant straw hat and really get some shade. 

12 minutes ago, XDoctor said:

The price of Techwear is out of hand, in my opinion.  I wear a golf polo most of the time, the Nike Victory is a great shirt that stays cool and keeps a little sun off your neck.

Pretty much the rest of it is dead on though.  Instead of saying sundry kicks, you can narrow that down to Solomon's.  Can swing a dead cat at most of the matches I was at this year without getting fur on some dude's Speedcross.

You guys thinking about big hats need to look into in-ear hearing protection.  It makes you free to wear a giant straw hat and really get some shade. 

No way I’ll ever wear a  Nike product but to each their own.

Solomons are so overrated. 

In ear protection doesn’t cut it when shooting open. But you can get muffs that go behind the neck for straw hats etc.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

No way I’ll ever wear a  Nike product but to each their own.

Solomons are so overrated. 

In ear protection doesn’t cut it when shooting open. But you can get muffs that go behind the neck for straw hats etc.

I'm sure there is a golf shirt out there that doesn't offend your sensibilities.  And I agree about the Solomons, but I'm shooting open with a set of E.A.R. Primo's and have found them to be sufficient.

6 hours ago, XDoctor said:

I'm sure there is a golf shirt out there that doesn't offend your sensibilities.  And I agree about the Solomons, but I'm shooting open with a set of E.A.R. Primo's and have found them to be sufficient.

My sensibilities are fine, it’s just that NIKE is a POS company that I won’t support.

42 minutes ago, Sarge said:

My sensibilities are fine, it’s just that NIKE is a POS company that I won’t support.

42 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I completely agree with you Sarge !

On 10/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, Hotchkiss said:

Have you adopted the action shooter uniform -- either consciously or unconsciously when you shoot events like 3Gun, Rimfire Challenge, Steel Challenge, USPSA, etc?  Most of the pieces come I suspect from what functions the best?  However some seems to come from wanting to look like the pros and/or wanting to fit in?  In my experience the uniform consists of:

- Ball cap or trucker's cap.  Little sun protection, but they do allow the wearing of ears which is good.

- Short-sleeved "shooter's jersey" with as much advertisement on it as possible.

- If it's cold out, a long-sleeved layer under one's shooter's jersey.

- Tactical trousers or shorts.  The more pockets the better.

- Knife clipped in pocket.

- Sundry kicks and socks.

What are trousers and sundry kicks?

I don't have a sponsor for USPSA and I don't pay for logo wear to advertise somebody's product.  If you see me with a billboard shirt or cap you may be sure it was free.

I like Duluth Trading Longtail shirts, the extra 3" helps keep them tucked in under  a gunbelt.

I wear ball caps, for products/vendors I like.  Nearly all of them that i have i got for free, some came with an order i made.

I have only worn "shooters jerseys" a few times.

Cargo shorts or regular pants, and more pockets is definitely better.

Knife clipped in pocket (this is daily wear, not just for match day)

Regular tennis shoes

A bigger brim hat is something i've thought about, as well as some type of cleats.

One of our ranges is mostly sand, cleats might help there.

47 minutes ago, JPro45 said:

Soon you'll see TechwearUSA's custom Fleece Hoodies as the next competition trend. 

i wear a hoodie at steel challenge when it's cold. Often wear one at uspsa matches too, but I take it off when it's my turn to shoot (to expose my plaid button-down shirt).

I'm still looking for a place to get 'sundry kicks' tho, preferably without logos.

25 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i wear a hoodie at steel challenge when it's cold. Often wear one at uspsa matches too, but I take it off when it's my turn to shoot (to expose my plaid button-down shirt).

I'm still looking for a place to get 'sundry kicks' tho, preferably without logos.

I’m working on putting some cleats on my wingtips.

I figure you want a trim fitting shirt because any gathering or fluff near your belt is going to cause problems and even be less safe. 

Which is a problem when my meat underneath my shirt is jiggling and if I get worse I'm going to need a sports bra. 

On 10/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, Malarky112 said:

I thought about getting a nice shooting jersey but can’t get past the 90+ price tag. I can get a moisture wicking T-shirt at Walmart for $10. I also feel if you have a fancy jersey, ppl expect a certain level of performance out of ya. 
I did just grab a “go fast don’t suck” shirt with my name on the back. Easier for the RO’s to verify they have the correct shooter. 
Shorts 90% of the year, knock off trail running shoes. 
I always wear a hat but also keeps my brass off my head. 

I agree with you on the expectations of performance when wearing a jersey. When I first started I assumed the folks wearing jerseys must be really fast. It didn't take long to figure out that I was beating them in my shorts and t shirt.  On a side note, I have seen a few folks in their jerseys that would probably disappoint the companies advertised on it based on their behavior. They were far from ambassadors for the products.  

1 hour ago, nso123 said:

I agree with you on the expectations of performance when wearing a jersey. When I first started I assumed the folks wearing jerseys must be really fast. It didn't take long to figure out that I was beating them in my shorts and t shirt.  On a side note, I have seen a few folks in their jerseys that would probably disappoint the companies advertised on it based on their behavior. They were far from ambassadors for the products.  

I agree but remember a lot of those people probably don’t have any affiliation with the product. Anyone can buy a jersey with logos on it, and lots of people do.