Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you adopted the action shooter uniform -- consciously or unconsciously?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

A wide-brim even more so if you don't wear muffs.

In Central Texas, you better believe it. I wear a wide brimmed straw hat before the match. During the match its a ball cap over a large bandanna French Foreign Legion style.

I have been wearing cargo shorts since cargo shorts were a thing.

Short sleeved shirt. No advertisements. (its easier the team shirt with no advertisements except the County, or a whicking T shirt).

You forgot the most fashionable item for old fart shooters: wagon with chair, umbrella, mini cooler and water jugs. Sometimes a wet bar...

A ball cap because it helps from sunburns on my bald head and the glare from the sun. 

A knife because I've had one in my pocket for the past 22 years and I feel naked without it.

Occasionally a shooting jersey because it is moisture wicking and helps with the sweat on a hot day. 

Cold days I'll wear a long sleeve under armor type shirt under a tshirt because shooting in a hoodie isn't really ideal. 

10 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

A ball cap because it helps from sunburns on my bald head ... because shooting in a hoodie isn't really ideal. 

Have you ever considered some sort of wide-brimmed hat?  Also, does the hoodie (or perhaps a crew-necked sweatshirt?) get in the way of your belt/holster?

Edited by Hotchkiss

10 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

In Central Texas, you better believe it. I wear a wide brimmed straw hat before the match. During the match its a ball cap over a large bandanna French Foreign Legion style.

I have been wearing cargo shorts since cargo shorts were a thing.

Short sleeved shirt. No advertisements. (its easier the team shirt with no advertisements except the County, or a whicking T shirt).

You forgot the most fashionable item for old fart shooters: wagon with chair, umbrella, mini cooler and water jugs. Sometimes a wet bar...

I think I am going to start wearing a wide-brimmed hat as well...

It's the CAS guys/gals that really get into the wagons/chairs.  I know one squad that almost appears to be tailgating...

Never seen a wet bar on the range though.

12 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Listen up guys, just because you see something posted that you can't see the reason for, does not mean that you can dump on the post or poster. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why are you posting? 

He asked a valid question. Just because you don't see the point of it does not make it any less valid. 

Thank you for saying that.  One thing brianenos.com always needs to preserve is its helpful/teaching (and largely troll-free) environment.

3 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

Have you ever considered some sort of wide-brimmed hat?  Also, does the hoodie (or perhaps a crew-necked sweatshirt?) get in the way of your belt/holster?

A wide brimmed hat would work out quite well, I just don't own any and never think to buy one. 

Yes the hoodie gets in the way of holster and mags. I'll wear it when I'm not shooting, but it goes away when I'm up to bat. 

I generally wear a red silk thong with a pair of very thin white capris with old school jungle boots. Up top is almost always a pink mesh wife beater and a rhinestone studded leather doo-rag. Of course no outfit is complete without huge hoop earrings. I don’t wear gloves because it would cover my 3” sparkly nails.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, Racinready300ex said:

Trucker hat, jeans and flannel ?? Leather belt and holster and single stack gun with a comp and a dot?? lol

Hey, I'm still using leather holsters for IPSC Classic (sorta Singlestack) and Revolver. Sometimes I go to the range with a pretty old school Bianchi leather holster.

I've been thinking that "Old School Open" would be a good Division: singlestack, comps. Haven't decided if iron sights or tubular dots would be better.

15 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

I generally wear a red silk thong with a pair of very thin white capris with old school jungle boots. Up top is almost always a pink mesh wife beater and a rhinestone studded leather doo-rag. Of course no outfit is complete without huge hoop earrings. I don’t wear gloves because it would cover my 3” sparkly nails.

Form & function. I imagine the thong helps with grip pressure and the earrings could double as a chamber flag in a pinch. 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:17 AM, Hotchkiss said:

It's the CAS guys/gals that really get into the wagons/chairs.  I know one squad that almost appears to be tailgating...

Amateurs. There's a guy who comes to ours. He has a motorized pull cart (read cart with wheels he put a motor assembly and handlebars on) that tows another cooler. He sits on the one and tows the other.  I am jealous.

It seems to be more an IDPA/ steel challenge thing than USPSA, but thats local conditions.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, levellinebrad said:

You must be the current CO national champ....

To play the part, you have to look the part!

I wear the same jersey to each match.  It has one logo on it.  I wear it because I believe in the product on the shirt.  As for the other pieces...Salomons, Tactical pants/shorts, Hat, knife. why yes I wear those also.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Listen up guys, just because you see something posted that you can't see the reason for, does not mean that you can dump on the post or poster. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why are you posting? 

He asked a valid question. Just because you don't see the point of it does not make it any less valid. 

Exactly!! 

10 minutes ago, Furrly said:

These are becoming very popular around here at our local matches.. 

Performance Fishing Hoodie with Face Mask Hooded Sunblock Shirt Sun Shield Long Sleeve Shirt UPF 50 Dry Fit Quick-Dry Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQV84CH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gdqPDb8YDSVG3

That looks good for hunting too.

At least there's no fishing vests.

I do have a shooting shirt with our local facegroup groups name on it "Gun Dudes"

But it is kinda funny how most sports seem to evolve into similar fashions.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, cheby said:

Looks like the OP really misses the old good doodie project... Good times...

Why do you have to act rude/childish?

I received a number of good inputs on my question and I appreciate it.  Yet a handful just had to be rude/childish.  Just why is that?  This isn't AR15.com or CalGuns.net.  BE has always (and I have been coming here for nearly 10 years) a place of learning and good information exchange.  If you can't contribute to a specific thread, why not simply skip it?

On 10/12/2019 at 1:17 AM, Hotchkiss said:

The only issue with wide brimmed hats is that it limi9ts your hearing protection options somewhat.