Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40sw 1911 single stack magazine recommendation

KindredGhost

Hey Gang!  

I picked up a max m 1911 40sw not to long ago with the hopes of shooting uspsa single stack.  I understand that the best mags available are the tripp cobra mags, but they are kinda pricey.  Does anyone have experience with another manufacturer?  FWIW I load my 40sw to 1.18oal. 

Thanks,
KG

I never had any issue with Wilson 47d or etm .45 mags for 40.  I gradually shifted to the Tripp 10mm mags for the “40 minor” reasons stated above. But if you have .45 mags on hand, they’ll most likely work with your 40. 

When I got my MAX .40 I had full intentions on getting a set of Tripp mags but since the gun came with a few of the Wilson 47NX 10mm mags I figured I would test them out by using them to break in the pistol before match use. I ran quite a few rounds through the gun breaking it in and getting used to it and had zero problems with the mags so I just decided to order a few more (since I already had some) and use them figuring if I ended up having problems then I could go with the trips.  Hd the mags fora few yesrs no and still have no issues.   

Another vote for Wilson Combat 47NX magazines in a Sig 1911MAXM ini 40 S&W!  I load my SWC ammo to 1.200", FYI.

Wilson doesn't have replacement springs (yet), so I use Tripp 15C-042 springs (untrimmed) and the mags eject with AUTHORITY regardless of whether the slide is locked back or not! ;)  

I really want to like the Tripp mags, and they may be perfect for 45 (which I haven't tried), but I ran them in 1911s  (both 9mm and 40 S&W) and had problems.

The lower cut that the Tripps have at the top front of the magazine is too low for these two cartridges and allows the next round in the mag to be pushed forward when the top round is stripped. It's just enough to catch the bullet nose of the top round on the frame, making them refuse to drop free if the magazine isn't empty.  I've tried round nose, truncated cone and SWC bullet profiles and they all do the same.

It's for this reason that I can't use Tripp magazines in USPSA. 

For something like Steel Challenge where you don't reload on the clock, they're awesome! 

I imagine they'd be good for IDPA, too, since you're pulling the mag out of the gun to retain it or running the gun totally dry before dropping the mag.

I have two identical STI Trojan's in 40sw; shoot Minor in USPSA.  Tried both the Wilson Combat and Tripp Cobra mags.

Really a difficult decision, but I ended up going with the Tripp Cobra 10rd mags.  Bought 14 of them and 3 would not

drop from either pistol.  I called Tripp and talked to Virgil's son (sorry do not remember his name).  He was great about

the problem and they paid for me to send the three back.  Told me he would get them running correctly or replace them.

I received them or new ones back in a couple weeks and they work perfectly as do all the others.  Why 14, well I started

out using 7 for practice and 7 for matches.  I still keep them separate, but honestly for bigger matches I bring all of them.  

I've never had a problem like N3WWN has had with the Tripp; I use SNS 200gr RN bullets.......

I have had good luck with both the Tripp Cobraand the Wilson 47NXs as long as my rounds were loaded out to 1.180 or slightly longer. They are both quality mags. I am leaning towards purchasing more Tripp mags only because I can  to load 10 + 1 for "minor" at local matches. Good luck. 

I have ~20 Tripp mags.  I had two mags that would not fit my SV.  I inked them and sent them back.  The response was 'they are to spec.' 

All Tripp mags fit my STI and Tripp built guns.  The problem was unique to my SV only.

15 of my Wilsons mags fit everything but did require a substantial break in period.

Chip's mags fit everything.

I'll always buy Tripp mags first.  

12 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Somebody is going to say it so It might as well be me!!!

Buy Tripp system mags, they hold ten and fit the uspsa box.

Then you have the option of shooting minor with 10rounds if you want.

do you have to do anything to the mags to make sure they fit the USPSA box if shooting minor? Are they re loadable when loaded to 10? Would be nice to have this option with the same gun 

No mags fit box loaded.

Yes they reload with 10 in them

Separately

If they don't feed with 10, happens sometimes, Tripp will work the ramp to make sure they work.

Edited by jcc7x7

I’ve used the Tripp Corey mags from Shooters Connection. Just a few modifications from the standard that makes them more consistent and reliable. I use them in a Sig 1911 Max. https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Tripp-10mm-9-Round-Government-System-Corey-Magazine-wBasepad-P3335.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, KindredGhost said:

I just found sig 1911 40sw mags on sale for 20 each.  Is this a good way to go?  I took out my max m to shoot once, and it seemed to work fine w/ my ammo that have an oal of 1.18.  I read that tripp recommends 10mm mags... Is it a good idea to stick to 10mm mags?

Thanks,

KG

40cal mags are likely going to have a spacer welded into the back which will keep a 1.18 oal round from fitting the mag.  I cannot speak to the sig mags specifically, but in general that is the case. They are designed for factory length 40 rounds. 

Stick with 10mm mags so you can load long if needed or you want to.

I use 10mm mags, 

Just bought a Sig Tradition 40 as a back up. it came  with 2 Wilson 40 mags they're on the edge of TOO short for my ammo at 1.180

1.200 definitely to short.

I'll use them for dry fire mags

10 hours ago, KindredGhost said:

I just found sig 1911 40sw mags on sale for 20 each.  Is this a good way to go?  I took out my max m to shoot once, and it seemed to work fine w/ my ammo that have an oal of 1.18.  I read that tripp recommends 10mm mags... Is it a good idea to stick to 10mm mags?

Thanks,

KG

If they work, go with them. I use .40 mags and load to factory length in both SS and LTD (Caspian High Cap frame and mags) with no issues. 

I have a bunch of other than Tripp single stack mags and they work well. I had to change the guts on a couple of Checkmate mags to Tripp follower and spring to get them reliable. 

And I had issues with a Wilson Combat mag, had to put a spacer and Tripp guts to make it work. 

For those reasons, I stick to Tripp for .40 S&W 1911 mags.

23 hours ago, oddjob said:

I use a Trojan in .40.  My rounds are 1.200 and I run Wilson 10mm mags.  I also have Tripp mags and they work just fine in the Trojan. 

I load my 40sw Minor loads to 1.147 and they work fine in Tripp Cobra mags.  I load them to that length so I can also

shoot them in my two Glock 35's (SNS 200gr RN Coated bullets).  When I shot Limited in 40sw I had two set ups for

my Dillon 550 and loaded my Major loads to 1.200.......

6 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

If they work, go with them. I use .40 mags and load to factory length in both SS and LTD (Caspian High Cap frame and mags) with no issues. 

I have a bunch of other than Tripp single stack mags and they work well. I had to change the guts on a couple of Checkmate mags to Tripp follower and spring to get them reliable. 

And I had issues with a Wilson Combat mag, had to put a spacer and Tripp guts to make it work. 

For those reasons, I stick to Tripp for .40 S&W 1911 mags.

Just to confirm, what oal do you load to specifically? 

Thanks,

Kg

Hello,

I use Wilson for 45 acp  but have found tripp mags to work better in 9mm and 40s&w. in my pistols.

I have STI and Kimber pistols, Wilson wouldn't feed in my Kimber 9mm or sti 9mms .and In my 40 sti the Wilson mags kept nose diving and not feeding.

I went with tripp hybrid 10mm mags, 9 round capacity and they work flawlessly. I didn't get the 10 round mags because I can use my 9mm to shoot minor.

Tim