Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40sw 1911 single stack magazine recommendation

KindredGhost

As others have said Tripp mags are great. I use them in Limited 10 in my 1911 and only had one hiccup that was remedied by calling Tripp.

I also have used Wilson, Mc Cormick, Mec-Gar and others. The best mags are the ones that run in your gun. I have some mags in a drawer that I wouldn't compete with but they are fine for plinking. 

As always YMMV.

• 2 months later...

The two guns (Wilson and Nighthawk) that I have used them with have a tendency to cause the slide to lock-back during firing. The mag springs seem weak when compared to other springs.
I don't think the mags will cause lock back during firing. I think it's a random occurrence of the slide stop wiggling. Regarding springs... You should replace them every so often I think...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, earthshine402 said:

I don't think the mags will cause lock back during firing. I think it's a random occurrence of the slide stop wiggling. Regarding springs... You should replace them every so often I think...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

But if it stops happening completely when you change mad brands, it's pretty safe to assume something in the magazine (out if spec follower or slide stop?) was the issue.

I'm not one who thinks any 1911 should be magazine specific. If it is, there's something that needs fixing, and I fix it. Of course magazine follower could be what needs "fixing", and sometimes it's easier to just buy mags that work.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:01 PM, KevinRohrer said:

I am having issues w/ some Tripp mags I just bought. Have not had an issue w/ Wilson, Nighthawk, or Chipp McCormick.

Mine do it with long loaded 200 bullets. Too long and forward on the shoulder. 180 loaded 1.180 no issues. Otherwise load to 1.160 and no problems. I only use Tripp mags since they came out.

One more vote for Wilson 10mm mags. Mine run great in my Trojan loaded at 1.185” COAL. Best part is that when the mags start sticking or get dented, I send them in and Wilson repairs or replaces them for free. Lifetime no BS warranty!

5 hours ago, Magictalent said:

Congratulations on the new gun. I have a max in 40. I use both 10  mm 10 rounds and 40 9 rounds. Both work well. 10 mm no good for IPSC with MAX due to it has a tall front sight

What happened with the 10mm mags that made it no good for IPSC?  I have 10 round 10mm Tripp magazines that sit flush with the magwell.  

I ask because I'm doing an IPSC match next month and I also have a Max in 40.

Edited by ramnj