Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 38 Super Comp - What is your C.O.A.L.?

Nevadazielmeister

Hello shooters. I seem to be having some magazine feeding issues and was curious what length other 38 SC shooters are loading their rounds to? I was at 1.250 but was asked by the magazine manufacturer to go done 0.020, but still seem to have some feed issues. 

So this is really just a poll, to get an idea as to what the group is loading to. Thank you folks. 

Going to depend on Your Gun, and the exact bullet you're using.

If you run The Plunk Test, that will tell you how long you can go, and

of course, you want to set your OAL at a little shorter than the longest

you can go.

Everytime you change bullets, you should run TPT again, with that

new bullet.     :) 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Going to depend on Your Gun, and the exact bullet you're using.

If you run The Plunk Test, that will tell you how long you can go, and

of course, you want to set your OAL at a little shorter than the longest

you can go.

Everytime you change bullets, you should run TPT again, with that

new bullet.     :) 

Well sort of. I was having issues with magazine feeding and if the round is too long, then it will not move up the column effectively. I have been working with the fine folks at MBX and they recommended a short COAL. 

Sounds like I was running a little long. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and measurements. 

9 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Well sort of. I was having issues with magazine feeding and if the round is too long, then it will not move up the column effectively. I have been working with the fine folks at MBX and they recommended a short COAL. 

Sounds like I was running a little long. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and measurements. 

I was having similar issues.  Length was at 1.260 and "the plunk test" was fine, but feeding was awful.  Deceased OAL to 1.245"  and had a jam free match yesterday.

Everglades 124g JHP

Mix of MBX, STI gen 1 and gen 2

1.225-1.230 with a Zero 121 JHP in STI and MBX mags in an STI frame gun. 

A fellow shooter using a Caspian frame gun loads his longer around 1.250-1.260 because the Caspian mags allow it without binding. 

On 8/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, Nevadazielmeister said:

Hello shooters. I seem to be having some magazine feeding issues and was curious what length other 38 SC shooters are loading their rounds to? I was at 1.250 but was asked by the magazine manufacturer to go done 0.020, but still seem to have some feed issues. 

Some details might help.  What bullet are you using? Load data?

35 minutes ago, superdude said:

Some details might help.  What bullet are you using? Load data?

Good point. 124 grain Montana Golds and 9.1 grains of VV 3N38. When I get a chance this week, I plan to test the reduction in COAL to find out if the magazine is the culprit. 

2 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Good point. 124 grain Montana Golds and 9.1 grains of VV 3N38. When I get a chance this week, I plan to test the reduction in COAL to find out if the magazine is the culprit. 

124 MG  round nose?  hollow point?  thats' part of the details, too. 

I just keep my super-comp oal simple with 1.234. I’ve run SVI, gen 1 STI and MBX w/grams guts and the MBX are what I’m going to sick with. I got my set of MBX mags when they first became available and maybe something along the line changed in manufacturing because I hear a lot of open shooters from 9 to comp are having issues with their newly purchased mags.

1 hour ago, a matt said:

I just keep my super-comp oal simple with 1.234. I’ve run SVI, gen 1 STI and MBX w/grams guts and the MBX are what I’m going to sick with. I got my set of MBX mags when they first became available and maybe something along the line changed in manufacturing because I hear a lot of open shooters from 9 to comp are having issues with their newly purchased mags.

From my understanding, through personal experience, is that one should not use Grams Engineering internal springs and followers with MBX tubes. The follower is not designed for the inside of the magazine tube as the shape is different. I learned the hard way at a major match for this. 

Maybe that is what the newly purchased magazines are exhibiting? I don't know their circumstances but trust me, just go with the MBX spring and followers and they should work well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 3:09 PM, a matt said:

On 8/5/2019 at 5:08 PM, Nevadazielmeister said:

From my understanding, through personal experience, is that one should not use Grams Engineering internal springs and followers with MBX tubes. The follower is not designed for the inside of the magazine tube as the shape is different. I learned the hard way at a major match for this. 

Maybe that is what the newly purchased magazines are exhibiting? I don't know their circumstances but trust me, just go with the MBX spring and followers and they should work well. 

UPDATE:

Well it appears everything has been ruled out but the magazines. I sent them back to MBX and now Adrian Cobb is arguing with me, blaming everything but the magazines. I guess the warranty and guarantee that Mr. Cobb promises depends on who you are. I have 4 170mm's magazines and only have trouble with the two. My favorite quote from Mr. Cobb:

"I have been around for many years as a engineer and have more experience with magazines design and function than any one single person in the USA..."

Oh the hubris and lack of customer service. I had no idea I was dealing with such a god. But all kidding aside. I am not happy with my MBX magazines anymore and am even more unhappy with their customer service. 

Thank you all for your input, sharing and assistance. Guess I will learn how to tune my own STI magazines and hopefully get these issues resolved myself.