Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 38 Super Comp - What is your C.O.A.L.?

Nevadazielmeister

Any chance of you double checking those mags with your ammo in a friends open gun and and his in your gun?? But if a few MBX mags run then 1 would  think it’s in the mags. 

Maybe measure the mags feed

lips on the mag that function well,  then compare the measurements to the others and all (140, 155 & 170’s) the MBX should measure darn close but If not get to wackin’ those feed lip closer or opening them to meet the good mags measurements.  I’m not sure that pinching them with a vise is the answer for adjusting the lips. It might be the easiest way and maybe I need to try the vise next time, IDK.   Mag lips do NOT bend very easily.

I cover the feed lips with a cloth and measure a lot. 

.  Sorry if this has been stated before in a earlier post but good luck and I’m sure you will get things rockin along soon.  

Always Optimistic!!! 👍🏼

Edited by a matt

4 hours ago, a matt said:

Any chance of you double checking those mags with your ammo in a friends open gun and and his in your gun?? But if a few MBX mags run then 1 would  think it’s in the mags. 

Maybe measure the mags feed

lips on the mag that function well,  then compare the measurements to the others and all (140, 155 & 170’s) the MBX should measure darn close but If not get to wackin’ those feed lip closer or opening them to meet the good mags measurements.  I’m not sure that pinching them with a vise is the answer for adjusting the lips. It might be the easiest way and maybe I need to try the vise next time, IDK.   Mag lips do NOT bend very easily.

I cover the feed lips with a cloth and measure a lot. 

.  Sorry if this has been stated before in a earlier post but good luck and I’m sure you will get things rockin along soon.  

Always Optimistic!!! 👍🏼

Thank you Matt for those suggestions. Your suggestions are right in line with the magazine tuning videos I have been watching. 

I am taking a different route from MBX. I have purchased a couple of STI Magazines and the Dawson Magazine Tuning Kit. I am tired of relying on others to get my gun to work, even though I live not 15 minutes from Limcat. Being a Jeep owner, I have learned it is always best to fix your own things. I also understand that properly tuned STI Magazines are hard to beat for reliability. 

Whatever I get back from MBX, I will then just sell and switch over from MBX to STI. The hubris of the owner of MBX was too much for me to bear. 

• 1 year later...

loading some .38 supers for a friend, never loaded them before! using Unique or Bullseye with 110 gr. Hornady hp/ftx bullets what charge and coal would you recommend? I would prefer a larger gr but l110 gr is all I could find at this time. Any Info would be very much appreciated. Thanks