Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How heavy is your Limited shooter?

Tabasco

Just wondering how heavy or light other folks like their Limited guns to be. I get the heavier ones help in reduced felt recoil, but as I moved from Production to Limited I'm finding I'm muscling the transitions a bit too much because I'm still getting used to the increased weight.  Practice and some more practice is on the way.  Just wondering what others prefer with their pistols.

I prefer a lighter than most limited gun.  Basically edge weight with plastic grip.  I tried super heavy, (Sv 5.4 sight tracker) and have gradually worked my way back lighter and lighter. I’ve gone as light as bushing barreled eagles. After a ton of guns and a ton of money, an Edge style gun is basically the perfect limited gun for me. 

Ymmv

My limited guns around 42oz Its a edge style with polymer grip. To be fair I have not shot my limited gun in about 3 years.

I shoot open now, and have added the metal grips to the open gun. If I where to shoot a lot of limited again I would add  a

metal grip to it.

Currently experimenting with a heavier build. 

6 inch bushing barrel 2011. 51oz no mag. Short dust cover.

Coming from shooting a 6 inch bushing barrel build, 48oz no mag. Also a short dust cover.

Funnily enough I liked 39 to 42oz with a plastic grip, then hated 43 to 46oz. Only so many ways to distribute the weight with a steel grip gun, so it wasn't until I hit 48 that I started to like it again.

Now the above was funny....

I remember several cycles in USPSA, but one in particular was were top guys were going for lighter and shorter guns to improve transition times. The trend has gone the other way for other reasons.

14 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

our limited guys are normally around 200-250lbs...

I got shot in competitions with a group from the Philippines and 250 lbs was the weight of the whole team together.🙉

and despite the wind they shot well.😉

On 7/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, tha1000 said:

I prefer a lighter than most limited gun.  Basically edge weight with plastic grip.  I tried super heavy, (Sv 5.4 sight tracker) and have gradually worked my way back lighter and lighter. I’ve gone as light as bushing barreled eagles. After a ton of guns and a ton of money, an Edge style gun is basically the perfect limited gun for me. 

Ymmv

I’m of the same belief as Tha on this. I’ve shot friends custom 2011’s with heavy metal grips, and while I feel like I could get used to it, I still prefer my Edge with an aggressive stipple on the plastic STI grip. Wish I could find another one cheap!

Edited by Rosswoodford
Typo

On 7/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, tha1000 said:

Ymmv

I weighed mine.  It's right at 40 oz.