Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper way to transfer from range bag to holster?

fake_out99

Only been to a couple USPSA matches, so I've been unsure about this one.  At the beginning of a match when you are gearing up, what is the proper procedure to transfer your handgun from your range bag to your holster?  My procedure so far has been to put on my belt/ holster, walk over to the safety area with my range bag, take my handgun out of the bag, check for clear, then holster.  At the end of the match I do the exact same thing, except in reverse of course.

However, I see a lot of people in the parking lot do this on their tailgates.  Is that allowed, or do you have to transfer in the safety area?

I also see people put on their belts with the gun already holstered, I'm assuming they holstered the gun at home prior to leaving.  Then they just rip off the whole thing and throw it into the backseat at the end of the match.  Also allowed?

Edited by fake_out99

Your safety area method is the only legal way, everything else is a DQ at a  place which strictly follows the rules like theyre supposed to. 

Also, be aware than handling any ammo at the safe area is a disqualification. Empty mags and empty gun ONLY. That DQ includes the dummy round you forgot was still in one of your mags, and it includes moving mags with bullets in them directly from your range bag into your mag pouches at the safety area as you gear up. 

Unbag, clear gun,  transfer gun to your holster... then assume your empty mags are actually loaded. Walk away from the safe area to handle them and stuff then into belt pouches. Simple, foolproof method which will never steer you wrong.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

fakeout, you should find (uspsa website) and read the uspsa rules.  there is a lot of stuff in there, but i try to read thru it all a few times each year.

5.2 Holsters and Other Competitor Equipment
5.2.1 Carry and Storage – Except when within the boundaries of a safety area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun bag or in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person (see Rule 10.5.1).
5.2.1.1 To be considered bagged, the handgun must be in a case or bag that completely covers the firearm, and prevents access to the trigger, including having the zipper or fastener completely closed.
5.2.1.2 A competitor who, while not at a safety area or under RO supervision, removes their holster or their equipment belt with their handgun still in the holster, shall be considered to be in violation of Rule 5.2.1 and subject to disqualification from the match.

2 hours ago, fake_out99 said:

My procedure is  put on my belt/ holster, walk to the safety area with my range bag, take handgun out of  bag, check for clear, then holster.  

That is the only correct way to holster - you've been correct all along.     :cheers:

One additional thought, is to place your bag properly so that when you remove the pistol,

you are not sweeping the competitors or breaking the 180.

I've seen people do everything correctly, but bring the pistol out facing the wrong way.    :( 

Your way is right and a good habit to be in.  You can also bag/unbag in the bay under RO supervision, so the safety area is not the ONLY way.  Some clubs the tailgate of a your truck is the safe area (not the best way, but that is the way it is), other clubs that will get you a DQ, so at a new club, always ask. 

Another thing to keep in mind when arriving at a match is:

2.5 Unloading/Loading Station 
2.5.1 If it is possible that some competitors arriving at a range where a USPSA match is being held may be in possession of a loaded firearm on their person (e.g. law enforcement officers, persons duly authorized to carry a loaded firearm, etc.), match organizers should provide an Unloading/Loading Station to enable such competitors to safely unload their firearms prior to entering the range, and to safely load their firearms again on departure from the range.  The Unloading/Loading Station should be conveniently located outside the entrance to the range (or outside the portion of the range allocated to the USPSA match), it should be clearly marked with a sign and it must include a suitable impact zone. 
2.5.2 Where no Unloading/Loading station is provided, a competitor who arrives at a match in possession of a loaded firearm and proceeds immediately to a match official for the express purpose of safely unloading the firearm shall not be subject to disqualification per the provisions of Rule 10.5.13.  

I have seen many clubs where the shooters will put on all of their equipment at their vehicles and then take their bagged gun to the safety area to gun up.  I have seen a couple where the people will remove their carry gun at their vehicle and bag it before getting their gear on for the match.  I have not seen one where people use their vehicle as a safety area to gun up for the match.

When I started shooting, our section considered the back of your car a safety area. This was getting people DQed at major matches when they traveled out of state, so a few years back they started enforcing the safety area requirement. Like you, I've always used the safety area.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Some clubs the tailgate of a your truck is the safe area (not the best way, but that is the way it is), other clubs that will get you a DQ, so at a new club, always ask. 

Are these sanctioned matches? Affiliated clubs? The Section Coordinator needs to be made aware. If he is part of it then talk to the Area Director. This should be corrected ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Are these sanctioned matches? Affiliated clubs? The Section Coordinator needs to be made aware. If he is part of it then talk to the Area Director. This should be corrected ASAP.

Meh, been that for ever, no need to sweat it.  Trucks are parked facing a hill.  Your head might explode (not from a bullet haha) at a 3 gun match and their "safe areas"

Just now, RJH said:

Meh, been that for ever, no need to sweat it.  Trucks are parked facing a hill.  Your head might explode (not from a bullet haha) at a 3 gun match and their "safe areas"

Yes I here 3 gun matches are pretty much like shooting at public ranges with new gun owners sometimes. More power to ‘em. But this is a USPSA match and there should never be gun handling going on outside of the rules. 

Let me guess , they set classifiers up just so they are close enough for government work?

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yes I here 3 gun matches are pretty much like shooting at public ranges with new gun owners sometimes. More power to ‘em. But this is a USPSA match and there should never be gun handling going on outside of the rules. 

Let me guess , they set classifiers up just so they are close enough for government work?

You guess wrong 

Also there is no rule saying the back of a pickup can't be a designated saftey area

Edited by RJH

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

You guess wrong 

That’s good news. You don’t have to worry about people contesting classifier scores. Only unsafe gun handling. 

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That’s good news. You don’t have to worry about people contesting classifier scores. Only unsafe gun handling. 

We really like  to twirl our pistols before we holster after a good stage run 🙂

Usually ... live ammo isn't allowed in the safe area.

If you have a gun sleeve ... you can leave your ammo/magazines in your range bag and not take the entire range bag to the safe area.

Put on your belt wherever you like ... Remove the gun (in it's sleeve) from  your range bag and go to the safe area. 

Holster your gun ... practice your draw ... what ever and when you are done leave the safe area ... put the sleeve back in your range bag.

At the end of the day ... sit  your range bag down somewhere ... remove all ammo/magazines and throw in the range bag. 

Take your sleeve (only) to the safe area and bag it.

Leave the safe area. 

Take off your belt/holster where ever  you like.

IMHO ... 😶

Edited by pete627
edit: sorry ... someone already mentioned - "no ammo in safe area" ...

A competitor can actually enter a Safety Area with loaded mags that are in their retention devices, pockets or range bag. As long as they DO NOT remove their loaded mags at the Safety Area. 

For example, you see your buddy has a new gun at the Safety Area. You can enter the Safety Area and look over his/her new gear, while your mags are loaded and in their pouches. As long as you do not pull out your mags. If you do, its a DQ 10.5.12.

3 hours ago, RJH said:

We really like  to twirl our pistols before we holster after a good stage run 🙂

I actually saw this happen once new shooter who thought it was cool, after everyone had stopped yelling he found out it wasn’t 😳

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

When does the area you are parked in become part of the USPSA range and USPSA rules apply, especially when its a shared parking lot with a public range open to the public or some other non-USPSA event?

I can see the USPSA rule for DQ being applied if the entire range is closed to the public for the event, but it seems like from a rule perspective it is pretty gray in a shared parking lot.

My local club uses the same parking lot for it's public range, so do USPSA rules apply there? I personally keep everything bagged/cased until at a safe table, and it is policy of the range that it happens (parking area is not a safe area) for both matches and their public users, but that is not a USPSA controlled space. The club has signage about "no holstered firearms beyond this point" but that is a range rule, not a USPSA one.  To that note, Troy did say handling your gun at your car is a DQ but I can't find a rule to support it when in a non-event specific space.

20 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

When does the area you are parked in become part of the USPSA range and USPSA rules apply, especially when its a shared parking lot with a public range open to the public or some other non-USPSA event?

I can see the USPSA rule for DQ being applied if the entire range is closed to the public for the event, but it seems like from a rule perspective it is pretty gray in a shared parking lot.

My local club uses the same parking lot for it's public range, so do USPSA rules apply there? I personally keep everything bagged/cased until at a safe table, and it is policy of the range that it happens (parking area is not a safe area) for both matches and their public users, but that is not a USPSA controlled space. The club has signage about "no holstered firearms beyond this point" but that is a range rule, not a USPSA one.  To that note, Troy did say handling your gun at your car is a DQ but I can't find a rule to support it when in a non-event specific space.

If a club/range is affiliated with USPSA then anybody showing up to shoot the match  is subject to the rules. Even in the parking lot.

16 hours ago, RJH said:

Your way is right and a good habit to be in.  You can also bag/unbag in the bay under RO supervision, so the safety area is not the ONLY way.  

Bingo.

Edited by .45 ACP nut